1920s vintage speaker with a guitar amp (Impedance problem)

bzblues

Hello everyone!

(I apoligize in advance if I ask noobie quiestions, but I'm a beginer in this matter)

I have a 1920s vintage speaker that is in a pristine condition! I intent to use this speaker with a small powered guitar amp that I've built. The guitar amp is called "ruby" wich is a 9v powered 1watt amp and it works well with 4ohm and 8 ohm speakers.

This vintage speaker is 1000 ohms and obviously doesn't work out porpperly with the guitar amp because of the impedance. So, I started to do some research and I found out that you would have to use a "step down" or "step up" impedance transformer. Now, here is when I hit the wall because its an unknown territory for me (yet)

I found out a website that allows you to calculate the type of transformer that you would have to use, but it seems that the results are not "realistic" but still, maybe I'm missing a few things.

What would you recomend to do in this particular scenario? again, its a small guitar amp (1 watt, 9V powered, works well with a 4ohm speaker) and I want to use it with this 1920's vintage speaker that is a 1000 ohm.

Is it possible to do?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brian.

I thought only field coil speakers existed at that time but I may be way off base.

I do know a lot of the earliest guitar and lap steel amps were originally field coil speakers.

Field coil amp/speakers didn’t have an output transformer. The power tube plates were basically connected straight to the FC speaker. High voltage.

I have an old lap steel amp from the 40s and it had a small output transformer added along with a modern Jensen special design speaker. Sounds pretty cool and with a Tubescreamer/et al it’s like early ZZ Top.

Back