1x12 Cabs?

Stealthtastic

Are they much quieter than 212 or 412s? I never really found 212s were much quieter than 412s so Ive always stuck with 412s. Basically I can't play my favorite amps because I leave for work super early and get home stupid late...and am hoping I can maybe get around the overall volume thing by using a 112. Worst comes to worst I'll use a hot plate or something like that but ugggggggh :doh:

I too have to play quietly...often.

My limited experience is the EVH 5153 112 vs 212. At the same volume setting, the 112 (in my ears) def came across less loud. But it also came across very small, less dynamic. Maybe a touch more articulate (sounding)...maybe. Much less in the lows; not as "boomy". the 112 was also very confined sounding, but not muffled (if that makes sense).

To me, i just couldn't make myself love it enough. Honestly a side by side with a 212 isn't fair...the second speaker is huge difference maker in tone. But yes it sounds a little quieter, IMO. But the db differential, whether real or placebo, wasn't worth the tonal differential.

They move less air but will be way too loud for late playing with a tube amp. Get you an attenuator and use your 4x12's. Either that or a Kemper or other modeller for low volume playing.

The size/# of speakers affect the tone, which can make a big difference in perceived volume and make a 1x12 sound small compared to a 4x12, even if the actual volume isn't that much different.

That's not to say that a 1x12 won't actually be more quiet, but to answer your question, it's not like using a 1x12 will be nice and quiet for late-night recording, unless you're in a big detached house with understanding roomies/girlfriend.

I had a similar issue. I live in a tiny apartment in Paris where you can hear all the neighbors. I have a Tubemeister 36, so the attenuator helps, but even playing at 1 watt with a 1x12 will drive the neighbors (and my wife) nuts.

My solution was to get a ZT Lunchbox cab. It's got a 6.5" speaker, has the right impedance rating, can handle the wattage (at least at 1 watt and 5 watts which is what I use it at) and can be driven for decent tones without getting stupid loud.

It's not the ultimate cab by ANY means...and I realize that posting about such a pussy cab on Rig-Talk is sacrilegious, but for the problem that you and I have, it's been a great solution. And it's more than enough to get great tones out of my tubemeister.

But if you don't have an attenuator, then it's gonna be tough :/

Back