20 year anniversary: Damageplan - New Found Power

valve

very late to the game :D, but i discovered this album not too long ago.
Never checked it out, because it was always handled as a subclause to Pantera.
Finding new music that you really like (and not just OK), isn't always easy.
This one is really great and i think i even dig it more than Pantera.
I can really listen from start to finish (except for maybe one song (F*** You)). With Pantera i am more of "the Best of" guy.
It's like Pantera with a 90s influence in a good way.

Went back and listened to it today for the first time in forever. It's better than I remember. Definitely hits the nu-metal vibes pretty heavy at points, which hits me right in the elder millennial nostalgia.

I’d say it’s pretty good but definitely not as good as pantera . They tried to fit in a bit too much

Listen to Blink of an eye , and think about Dime . And then on the chorus listen for the gunshot effect in chorus. Kinds eerie

Yeah, some parts are groovy, but I don't think it holds a candle to Pantera musically.

Overall, I don't really love the Pop Rock-y/Nu Metal-ish vibe it gets at time, and I hate that the lyrics sound like they were written by a 15 year old.

But I mean... it's Dimebag. Musically, the worst he can do is still much better than most others'.

Last edited:
it was just the wrong sound at the wrong time i think, they came out right when headbangers ball was back in full force and metalcore, death metal and hardcore were having their day along with the huge bands like slipknot and mudvayne, this was just kind of Pantera-lite and fit in more with drowningpool and those corny bands. listening back 20 years later now though it definitely dosent suck

Yeah, some parts are groovy, but I don't think it holds a candle to Pantera musically.

Overall, I don't really love the Pop Rock-y/Nu Metal-ish vibe it gets at time, and I hate that the lyrics sound like they were written by a 15 year old.

But I mean... it's Dimebag. Musically, the worst he can do is still much better than most others'.
well early Pantera without Phil kind of sucks. in the 80s i was a lil kid so 90s is my thing. Most 80s stuff is kind of gay (no offense to homosexuals), as is early Pantera.
Crazy how your balls tucked in spandex has such a big impact!

I have no problem with NuMetal, except maybe the name. I agree it's not really metal.
Early 90s Pantera is the shit and i also listened to it back in the day, but it was and still is kind of borderline heavy for me.

Couldn't get into it....Nu Metal does nothing for me, nor anything influenced by it. I personally(even though I like all the albums) wished Pantera would have stayed in the direction that CFH was on....more ripping guitar solos and interesting melodics with thrashy grooves.

If it weren’t Vinnie and Dime I’d have zero interest in it for the same reasons already stated in the thread.

Comparing any band to the lightning in a bottle of Pantera is a tall order. It’s no surprise that the groove aspect carried through to Damageplan, which is so much of what I love about Pantera, but leads me to believe much of the in-your-face/high energy aspects of Pantera was largely Phil driven.

Kinda odd, because Reinventing The Steel still sounds like Pantera, albeit a different vibe than their previous albums, but the Damageplan stuff was recorded what, 2 years after? Barely sounds like the same guys playing/writing and makes it a bit more apparent of how the dudes were lost around that time.

Back