20th Anniversary XTC: EL34 -> 6L6 Conversion

se7en

So, I got the amp back from Bogner loaded with 6L6 tubes and a new output transformer. I had been doing a lot of research into the amp's design and talking with a number of people who've played both versions. I decided to go with Reinhold's power tube of choice and in short I'm glad I did. Ok, a little background...

Originally the amp shipped with JJ EL34's - they had a lot of rich midrange/chewiness, but were a tad too compressed, boxy and loose in the low end for my tastes. I then put a matched quad of Gold Lion KT77's in there and biased it up with Shiny_Surface (RT). These were an improvement to my ears - more open and detailed - more balanced - tighter low end and more highs, while retaining a lot of the EL34 qualities I liked. I had used these for some time thereafter and was happy with 'em. People were routinely coming up to me and talking enthusiastically about the tones I was getting out of it and basically I was happy with its performance.

Now with the JJ 6L6's I would say I noticed straightaway that the tone is more balanced. The KT77's still had a bit of a glassy high end sheen by comparison and this version is warmer in the highs, creamy and smooth with plenty of that chewiness we all love about Bogners. There is still a gritty crunch to the midrange, but nothing seems strident or boxy. The feel is even more comfy and 'connected' if you will. The clean channel is now so Fender-like that I'm questioning whether I'll purchase one of those (clean amp was my next anticipated purchase). I'll type more as I get more time with it, but in summation, it wasn't so much that the other tubes were inferior in there, as the 6L6 version gets me where I want to go.

Nice writeup Zack. Shows how a preconceived notion of a particular tube type (by some) can be trumped by the design/voicing of a circuit around said tube type.

As an added bonus I think you'll have more choices on the market with 6L6 tubes as well.... :)

Shiny_Surface":1hq13qv8 said:
Nice writeup Zack. Shows how a preconceived notion of a particular tube type by some can be trumped by the design/voicing of a circuit around said tube type.

As an added bonus I think you'll have more choices on the market with 6L6 tubes as well.... :)

Yeah Tom, I admit I was stuck on the idea of having EL34's and nothing was going to convince me otherwise. It was just a given that those amps had the midrange kick I liked. I feel the same way about the Twin Jet - going back to KT88's in there after making the switch to 34's. :doh: :) These newer designs just sound more balanced and easier to tweak great tones fast. The sweet spot is there and isn't dependent on the coloration of the power tube to get there.

Having more options on the market for a future re-tube is a big plus as well. I'm glad I have the option to record into an EL34, KT88 OR 6L6 power section now as well.

Good to hear it sounds good with the tubes it was designed for I hope the same applies to my 20th shiva thats on its way its shipping with the kt88's but it seems everyone and their mother wants to mod it for el34's I'm thinking it might be hype

psche378":2dhgsfea said:
Good to hear it sounds good with the tubes it was designed for I hope the same applies to my 20th shiva thats on its way its shipping with the kt88's but it seems everyone and their mother wants to mod it for el34's I'm thinking it might be hype

I heard that Bogner was a bit back and forth about the power tubes for the 20th Shiva, but yeah ultimately decided on the KT88's. I know how it is for some people - just gotta have the 34's in there. Like I said, I tried 34's in my Twin Jet and once I went back to 88's I realized how much punchier and alive it was. I wish I had tried 88's in my 20th Shiva before selling - it had SED 6550's and the high end was too abrasive for my tastes. 88's are supposed to be smoother by comparison. It's a great amp - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Stay with the KT88s in Shiva. I've had both and again it is a circuit design thing.

And for that matter I think the 6L6s in the 20th XTC are better too, that's what I ended up with.

Rdodson":2ipyselr said:
Stay with the KT88s in Shiva. I've had both and again it is a circuit design thing.

And for that matter I think the 6L6s in the 20th XTC are better too, that's what I ended up with.

Exactly. If I've learned anything, it's best to go with the manufacturer's choice.

Back