27 fret guitar question

FIREBALL

i need a guitar with a floyd rose...and i can get it cheap,but it has 27 frets...i dont like that....but it sounds great plays pretty good ,but is there any issues with these necks or intonation problems....i really hate the 27 fret idea, but could live with it if the necks are known to not have problems :confused:

Why consider it if you hate the idea? Also, if there were neck/intonation problems, why would companies bother to make them?

Why would there be any problems? Companies like Hamer have been making 27 fret guitars since the 80's and Caparison has been doing the same since the mid 90's.

Dude, even if you don't like it, it's a good thing.

Having 24 frets makes it easier to get to the 22nd, and having 27 frets makes it easier to get to the 24th. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't ever fret those notes, occasional harmonic tap but otherwise, nope.

You said it sounds great and plays good, so I don't really see where your problem is, unless it's about aesthetics?

Can you give us some details on the guitar, pics?

I have 4 Hamer Californian USA's with 27 frets, never found a problem with it. Love them all.

Guitar%20pics%20013.jpg

Death by Uberschall":293hertt said:
You said it sounds great and plays good, so I don't really see where your problem is, unless it's about aesthetics?

I have 4 Hamer Californian USA's with 27 frets, never found a problem with it. Love them all.

Guitar%20pics%20013.jpg
its an esp with seymore duncans, even a single coil, and push pull .....i was wonder if the special necks bowed easier or had intonatian problems since they r not made as much

No. Your logic is seriously flawed.

The number of frets has nothing to do with intonation.
The only thing that matters is if the guitar maker knows what they're doing and how to put together a quality instrument. Adding a few more frets isn't exactly a big deal if you're designing the entire guitar around it. Likewise, 21 fret necks have existed from the beginning of time, but they can warp, twist, and have intonation problems just as easily as any other neck if they're poorly made.

Sixtonoize":3k3p282a said:

The only thing that matters is if the guitar maker knows what they're doing and how to put together a quality instrument. Adding a few more frets isn't exactly a big deal if you're designing the entire guitar around it. Likewise, 21 fret necks have existed from the beginning of time, but they can warp, twist, and have intonation problems just as easily as any other neck if they're poorly made.
thanx for pointing that out...but many products with gimmicks have more problems....my question is very valid

FIREBALL":9d45g645 said:
Sixtonoize":9d45g645 said:

thanx for pointing that out...but many products with gimmicks have more problems....my question is very valid

Adding frets = a gimmick? :confused:

Code001":2d10x292 said:
FIREBALL":2d10x292 said:
Sixtonoize":2d10x292 said:

atleast on this guitar,u cannot play these extra frets at all...its a total gimmick....u could tap em....i just need a floyd for a project...i got no cash and its a trade...or i would never want it

Most 27 fret guitars use the same neck as a 22/24 fret guitar. The only difference usually is they just extend the fret board over the body enough to add the additional frets. That's how my Hamers are, 24 fret neck with fret board extended 3 frets over the body.

FIREBALL":2xciye9a said:
Code001":2xciye9a said:
FIREBALL":2xciye9a said:
Sixtonoize":2xciye9a said:

atleast on this guitar,u cannot play these extra frets at all...its a total gimmick....u could tap em....i just need a floyd for a project...i got no cash and its a trade...or i would never want it
By that logic, all traditional acoustics are "gimmicky". 27 frets is simply that and nothing else...look at the maker and build quality. The one issue that I will point out about 27 fret guitars is that you can't get a traditional neck pickup tone out of them. If a bridge bucker and a Floyd is what you need, I say go for it.

Death by Uberschall":26vxe818 said:

Guitar%20pics%20013.jpg
Those 2 on the left kill me everytime I see them :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
you are a lucky man :yes:

JTyson":116rg7o6 said:
Death by Uberschall":116rg7o6 said:

Guitar%20pics%20013.jpg
Those 2 on the left kill me everytime I see them :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
you are a lucky man :yes:
Take a breath, relax and carry on. :D

i dont have it yet, and dont know the model....i was very unfamiliar with it....its an esp.....my origional question pertained to how some new 27 fret guitars have curved frets for intonation like rusty cooly and some shred guys...they said it kept intonation more accurate...you seem to have had good times so i might take your word and get it....i do need a floyd

The Rusty Cooler sig. doesn't have curved frets, and having curved frets has nothing to do with the number of frets.
A well-made neck won't have intonation or twisting issues, a poorly-made neck will.

It's as simple as that, and the number of frets has nothing to do with it.

Sixtonoize":nm4001d0 said:
The Rusty Cooler sig. doesn't have curved frets, and having curved frets has nothing to do with the number of frets.
A well-made neck won't have intonation or twisting issues, a poorly-made neck will.

It's as simple as that, and the number of frets has nothing to do with it.
im sorry your right there is no chance that guitars made with extra frets could not cause an intonation problem....your right there is just no possibility that the craftsman ship of these extra frets could actually cause a problem....im sorry for wondering...

Back