3rd Power British Dream

Mr. Burton

Stopped into Gelb today and gave the British Dream a test drive with an Anderson Drop Top. The amp isn't my first choice as I'm more of a Fender clean guy, but it does an excellent job of mirroring the AC30/Plexi tones. Loves to be cranked. Excellent platform for pedals. The HybridMASTER volume feature is pretty cool. You can get it down to bedroom level and it still holds up. Surprisingly lightweight.

Danced with it for about an hour and couldn't find a bad tone. The AC30 channel is very convincing. Articulate, shimmery and can get up to a mid level gain. Cleans up well with guitar volume and loves the neck pickup. The plexi channel has a bit of chime which is to be expected, but it shares the "crank me" characteristic of the real deal. I do wish that it had just a bit more gain on tap, but my other guitarist is sold as he is a pedal guy. I'm off to the funny farm and getting the trio of Tri-Cabs. :loco: W/D/W should sound glorious.

Anyway, I guess Jamie is from the bay and was a big 80's rack guy in a hair band called Vain. Very cool backstory and I think he makes a superior product. If you get a chance check one out. :thumbsup:

I honestly think the HD100 or American Dream are a little more up my alley. I've been hip to these guys since Lugo's high gain shootout when they were calling it Tritone. When I saw the Tri-cabs at NAMM I was floored. This demo is a good representation of the BD's capabilities.

Kapo_Polenton":3dg19xa3 said:
REally dug the british channel BUT 2+ K for a hybrid tube/solid state design???

All tube. 1xEF86 preamp tube for the AC30 and 3x12ax7's for the plexi. 2xEL34 power section. I think the amps are priced pretty competitively. The cabs are admittedly damn expensive.

3rd Power stuff is really nice. The American Dream is a fine amp too. Heard a guy light it up at the Nashville Amp show and it sounded amazing. Good stuff.

they make some unique stuff. I played through some head with these 3 crazy triangle speaker cabs. they reduce the beaming effect of normal 4x12 cabs. and the middle one was powered differently, kinda like a subwoofer carrying a different signal. weird setup but it sounded great. unfortunately gigging with that rig was not practical

I heard both the American Dream and British Dream at the Nashville Amp Show and thought they were great sounding. 3rd Power, Metro, and Reason were my top the of the show. BTW the 3rd power 1x12 sounded awesome and looked like a normal 1x12 so it looks looks like they may be offering something more mainstream for those who don't dig the triangle cab.

ejecta":2gl1c7wd said:
I heard both the American Dream and British Dream at the Nashville Amp Show and thought they were great sounding. 3rd Power, Metro, and Reason were my top the of the show. BTW the 3rd power 1x12 sounded awesome and looked like a normal 1x12 so it looks looks like they may be offering something more mainstream for those who don't dig the triangle cab.
I looked into those cabs. $800. Pricey, but I'd love to have one of those 1x12s. Sounded great.

I own a HD100 and tri-cab rig, and a British Dream.....I'm a firm believer in what Jamie is putting on the market. Great guy, great products.

Pardon the cheesy pic.....only pic of the rig that I could find easily on my computer.
DSC_03732.jpg

Very nice Trent! That rig looks sick. :rock:

Few questions for you:

1) What speakers are you running in the cabs? I'm on the fence about how to configure mine. Jamie was receptive to the idea of a 3x10 enclosure so I might go with 2 of those for wet and 12's for dry. Might do the opposite too.

2) Do you know if 3rd Power can source a road case for the cabs? I'm tempted to have it shipped to me ready to roll.

3) You mentioned previously that you are running them mono. Have you tried w/d/w? Any feedback is appreciated. I have an Egnater M4/Gmaj2/Rivera TBR5 that will sound great for the wet components. VHT Pittbull 50/cl for dry.

I like that these guys are still under the radar. Only people of note (not to say that you aren't ;) ) that use them according to my knowledge are Lenny Kravitz and MGMT. I think they are right on the cusp of breaking out here on the coast and a lot of the fun for me with gear is being ahead of the curve. This stuff is very forward thinking and innovative which has the same appeal to me as the Egnater Mod system. Anyway I should be on board in the next month or so. Can't wait to peel the paint with it. :thumbsup:

1) What speakers are you running in the cabs? I'm on the fence about how to configure mine. Jamie was receptive to the idea of a 3x10 enclosure so I might go with 2 of those for wet and 12's for dry. Might do the opposite too.

V30s...I just kept the cabs stock...works well for me

2) Do you know if 3rd Power can source a road case for the cabs? I'm tempted to have it shipped to me ready to roll.

You would have to contact Jamie about that. I believe they may have done that for a major touring guitarist before, but I don't know exactly. I had toyed around with getting a case for the tri cabs to live in, but it would be just crazy big...and really hard to transport unless you have a road crew. I'm looking into getting Tuki covers custom made for them however.

3) You mentioned previously that you are running them mono. Have you tried w/d/w? Any feedback is appreciated. I have an Egnater M4/Gmaj2/Rivera TBR5 that will sound great for the wet components. VHT Pittbull 50/cl for dry.

For a short time I ran the cabs mono when I only used two cabs. At one point I was just running W/D due to space in the hauler and on stage. I typically run them stereo W/D/W. Currently using two of the Electro Harmonix 22 caliber power amp pedals to run the outside cabs. Line out from the amp feeds either a G Major or a Line 6 M9 on my board. It works flawlessly in both applications, and really adds a lot to the overall tonality. The 3x10 is a cool idea...I know he did custom cabs for Lenny (including 3x10s)

I like that these guys are still under the radar. Only people of note (not to say that you aren't ;) ) that use them according to my knowledge are Lenny Kravitz and MGMT. I think they are right on the cusp of breaking out here on the coast and a lot of the fun for me with gear is being ahead of the curve. This stuff is very forward thinking and innovative which has the same appeal to me as the Egnater Mod system. Anyway I should be on board in the next month or so. Can't wait to peel the paint with it.

The only amps I own are the 3rd Power amps and a Mod 50...sounds like similar things appeal to us. I really only use the 3rd Power stuff though ;) As for people of note...Lenny is the big name, but I know people currently using/have used include: Richie Sambora, Steve Miller, Neil Schon, Patrick Matera (Katy Perry), Vince Gill, Hunter Hayes, and a lot of the session/studio guys in Nashville. Now that they are more widespread with dealers the stuff will no doubt take off. Glad to have another RT'er into the 3P.

Back