• Traditional straight

Votes: 50 50.5%
  • Standard slant

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Standard straight

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

stephen sawall

Seeing what version is your preference. Traditional or Standard (oversized).

30 x 30 x 14 - is typical of a TRADITIONAL cab.

33 x 30 x 14 - is typical of a STANDARD oversized cab.

I currently have Marshall, Mesa, Fryette and Peavey 4x12 cabs. They all sound different.

Last edited:
I like a Marshall style slant. The Mesa trad is built differently and definitely sounds different to me.

I like Traditional straight. Oversized cabs are too boomy for me. Have had Mesa Standard OS cabs and some Marshall Mode 4 oversized cabs. Couldn't get along with either. 1960B's and an EVH cab are all I have around these days.

I like Traditional straight. Oversized cabs are too boomy for me. Have had Mesa Standard OS cabs and some Marshall Mode 4 oversized cabs. Couldn't get along with either. 1960B's and an EVH cab are all I have around these days.
Same here. Just never got along with the oversized cabs.

I prefer a trad straight and always recorded with one. For live I always played slants, easier to hear your sound, especially if you've got a crappy monitor mix.

Traditional straight, but slants have their uses too.

I prefer slants in smaller club gigs without great monitoring. The angled speakers seem to fill out the stage and be less beamy.

The low end sounds superior to me on traditional straights though.

Oversized cabs have their place, but it just isn't my jam. If I worshipped the ground Glenn Fricker walks on, and spent my entire life chasing early 00s melodeath tones, I'm sure OS cabs would be my jam.

Years ago I thought I’d like slanted and that was my first cab, thought it would sound better by directing the sound out in different directions. But gravitated to straight. Of course now I never use my cabs, they just sit.

I may be a little biased, but I love the way my standard straight Mesa cab sounds. Very balanced in the mids, punchy in the lows and smooth in the highs. My traditional sized Avatar cab with the slanted front baffle is great too though.

My Mesa oversized ain't boomy, it's actually quite balanced. I guess a huge part of that is how you set your amp though?? I find Standard cabs more open sounding.

Back