5153 guys. preamp tube question.

Well I have finally blew a couple preamp tubes 5 mintues before hitting the stage :doh: . (v2 and v3) I just dropped in a couple penta 12ax7 to get me through the night. I have had eh and sovtec preamp tubes in it since I bought it used in the begining of the year. I thought about re-tubing the whole head just to be on the safe side and wanted to know if anybody has done any experimenting with the tubes and what you found out. I really liked the eh and sovtec combo but wanted to see if theres any other combonations that have been used and liked.

JJ preamp tubes sound great in the EVH.... I have a mix of those and a couple EH. I didnt like the sovtek preamp tubes in there but the Sovtek wxt+ poweramp tubes are golden in that amp.

when i had one despite trying various combos of JJ/Sovtek/Tung sol, the stock configuration to my ears sounded the best (was also one of the earlier serial number heads which had the preamp tube listed inside the amp)

- V1: channel 1/2/3 ... sovtek 12AX7WC
- V2: channel 1/2 ... eh 12AX7EH
- V3: channel 1/2 ... eh 12AX7EH
- V4: channel 3 ... sovtek 12AX7WC
- V5: channel 3 ... eh 12AX7EH
- V6: channel 3 ... eh 12AX7EH
- V7: effects loop ... sovtek 12AX7LPS
- V8: phase inverter ... sovtek 12AX7LPS

the4thlast1":3j5nvma3 said:
JJ preamp tubes sound great in the EVH.... I have a mix of those and a couple EH. I didnt like the sovtek preamp tubes in there but the Sovtek wxt+ poweramp tubes are golden in that amp.

The Sovtec wxt+ is what power tubes I have in it now and I am really happy with them. :rock:

Ive tried all of the new production 12ax7 tubes and the JJECC83S(12ax7)sound the best,they are also the best in quality.That is the tube that Edward Van halen is using in his 5150 III amps as we speak......

nitro":1d5olhxl said:
Ive tried all of the new production 12ax7 tubes and the JJECC83S(12ax7)sound the best,they are also the best in quality.That is the tube that Edward Van halen is using in his 5150 III amps as we speak......

any difference, other than the lable, between the jj and the ruby? judging by price, you can't beat it. 10 bucks a tube. :thumbsup:

university81":gpzzwvi6 said:
when i had one despite trying various combos of JJ/Sovtek/Tung sol, the stock configuration to my ears sounded the best (was also one of the earlier serial number heads which had the preamp tube listed inside the amp)

+1

nevusofota":10exr8lx said:
university81":10exr8lx said:

+1

same

Back