71 Superlead - Clip

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Publicly stated that I will not stop trying Plexi and Plexi-inspired amps and I’m just living up to that. Latest and greatest is a 71 SL. All stock - couple replaced components here and there but largely untouched which was a nice surprise as I bought it without gutshots from GC.

It’s fun as shit. I’m not always in the mood for this particular sound though. If it were my only amp I’d likely get tired of it - I need to have some scooped chuggy tones available and this ain’t the amp for that. But nonetheless, I dig it. Going through a PS100. Hitting some pedal here and there for some flavor. Marshall v30s here, though I’ve really been digging a particular set of Chinese v30’s with it lately.

Sounds great! Brown turret board 70's and 71's always seems to be quite gainy for some reason....very nice!

Does this amp still have the original power and output transformers? If so that warrants a BIGGER CONGRATS!:p:yes:

Your bias supply 10uf caps look to be replaced/newer BC components and that's a good thing but the .22uf snubber caps for the standby switch look to be originals so you might want to consider changing those out. When they go bad they can spray electrolyte all over the chassis and make a mess of things or they can run for another ten years it's always a crapshoot. I say this because they exploded in my 72 and made a mess, I replaced the with CDE polyester .22uf 1000VDC caps if you are looking for a replacement.

I also noticed the V1A 250uf electrolytic cap is still the original Erie, again it can run for another ten years or fail tomorrow YMMV. Otherwise it looks like a very well maintained amp!

Congrat's on the new Marshall it sound like a good one.:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Appreciate it guys - it’s fun for sure.

Sounds great! Brown turret board 70's and 71's always seems to be quite gainy for some reason....very nice!

Does this amp still have the original power and output transformers? If so that warrants a BIGGER CONGRATS!:p:yes:

Your bias supply 10uf caps look to be replaced/newer BC components and that's a good thing but the .22uf snubber caps for the standby switch look to be originals so you might want to consider changing those out. When they go bad they can spray electrolyte all over the chassis and make a mess of things or they can run for another ten years it's always a crapshoot. I say this because they exploded in my 72 and made a mess, I replaced the with CDE polyester .22uf 1000VDC caps if you are looking for a replacement.

I also noticed the V1A 250uf electrolytic cap is still the original Erie, again it can run for another ten years or fail tomorrow YMMV. Otherwise it looks like a very well maintained amp!

Congrat's on the new Marshall it sound like a good one.:2thumbsup:

Man that’s a bunch of good info I appreciate it! Going to save this for the next time I take it to my tech and get it all handled

It’s fun as shit. I’m not always in the mood for this particular sound though. If it were my only amp I’d likely get tired of it - I need to have some scooped chuggy tones available and this ain’t the amp for that.

i understand, this sounds incredible but its just not a tone thats gonna work for much of what i do, but fuck it sounds amazing and i love listening to other people play

Appreciate it guys - it’s fun for sure.

Man that’s a bunch of good info I appreciate it! Going to save this for the next time I take it to my tech and get it all handled
Looks like you still have the original 4700/5000pf Lemco bright cap as well and it still has the Red dogbone 500pf caps in the tonestack and the 470K mixer resistor cap for the bright channel. The PI fizz ceramic cap looks stock as well but they can also be a 47pf Red Dogbone from 1969 to 1972 superleads. I couldn't tell from the bottom of the chassis but all the filter caps look like they might be newer as well, most were the bluish aluminum looking Daly's in those years for the most part since your's are black I am assuming newer replacement filter caps.

Your 100K NFB Iskra CF resistor has been replaced with a NOS carbon comp resistor which is no big deal really and I couldn't see what impeadance leg the NFB wire is on. It should be on the 4 ohm leg of the impedance selector for 1971. In 1968 alot of the 12 series plexi's were running 47K NFB resistor on the 8 ohm leg of the impedance selectors which made them a bit cleaner sounding. Less feedback with the 100K NFB resistor on the 4 ohm legs make the amps rattier and more aggessive sounding from late 1968 into 1969 onwards but with Marshall it always depended on what they had laying around in inventory as to what got used to get amps out the door.

Looks like someone probably installed a PPIMV at some time in the past and somebody returned everything to stock in the PI circuit which is why the Iskra resistors are swapped out to newer carbon film in the PI as well as the .022uf Sozo coupling caps. As MGL stated for originality sake you can have NOS Mustards installed there in the PI but it probably won't sound much different but it will be up to you down the road.

I listened to your clip again and this amp has a really nice SL/PLEXI clank with some metalface aggression without being harsh which some of the metal faces can be a times due to differences in parts used in this era and transition years.

You never did say....does this amp still have original power and output transformers?

Last edited:
Back