80s new wave

rsm

80s was my decade as a late teen / 20s. The Smiths, Duran Duran, The Cure, The Clash, A Flock of Seagulls, Adam and the Ants, Ultravox, Depeche Mode, Echo & the Bunnymen, Kajagoogoo, Til Tuesday, Psychedelic Furs, Simple Minds,...

but there are many obscure bands and many sound very good IMO. I found this channel years ago, and its a goldmine of obscure 80s new wave if you're into it.

so many bands/songs I never heard or forgot; it's fresh and new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/@80zforever

You forgot The Human League brother. :LOL:

Great list there; I like your taste.

I can predict what it is you like about all that stuff:
"Clean", sweet rhythms and drums.
Good arrangements.
Good melodies.
Original.

We seem to have similar tastes in everything from fusion to '80s to Asian stuff. I therefore conclude that you have impeccable taste.

Reactions: rsm
You forgot The Human League brother. :LOL:

Great list there; I like your taste.

I can predict what it is you like about all that stuff:
"Clean", sweet rhythms and drums.
Good arrangements.
Good melodies.
Original.

We seem to have similar tastes in everything from fusion to '80s to Asian stuff. I therefore conclude that you have impeccable taste.
Yes, I was going from memory...forgot a few: Joy Division, Japan, New Order, a-ha, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Gary Numan, Modern English, Pet Shop Boys Oingo Boingo, Devo, Tears for Fears, Softcell,...forgetting even more!

early 80s was the start of my era coming up; my girlfriend at the time had MTV which was heavy into new wave - the local radio stations weren't playing it much, there was only the 70s music and punk scene around me (in the late '70s / early '80s we used to sneak into CBGBs underage, did that several times, taking the metro north trains down from new haven ct to NYC).

the new wave was so different, I always liked (saw) prog bands like Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd (never saw them live), and the hard rock / metal of the 70s (LZ, Sabbath, Aerosmith, and similar), but the new wave synth music was amazing. Not many keyboard players around, and those synths cost more than cars or even houses!

Great to know we have similar music interests outside of the standard rock/metal that's most popular here. That 80z Forever channel has amazing content, there are a few "duds" still good but just not my style.

Cheers!

Real Life too!

I loved Real Life. That song was their first single and of course it was awesome.

You probably know Pseudo Echo? I used to see the drummer often on the tram I took to school and a buddy of mine mimed keyboards for them on Countdown. I can only assume their keyboardist was sick.

They and Real Life were the two biggest new-wave bands from Melbourne.

Their first single:

... and some others...

Reactions: rsm
I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Back