'87 Marshall JCM800 2203 Cameron Mod Repair

Duhduh1973

This is a total shot in the dark, but I recently moved to the central California coast (San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area) and I need to find a legitimate, trustworthy amp repair guy. There's a huge working musician scene in this area so it seems logical there would be good repair guys to support it. The amp has worked 100% trouble free since I bought it in 2001 until recently when I started getting some crackles and pops.

And for the record, I bought my Marshall from Eric Myer, the guitarist from Dark Angel. He's the one who had the mod done, so I don't know which mod it is. I DO know that it doesn't have any goop/epoxy inside it whatsoever. It has an extra gain knob that a repair guy told me years ago was for an extra gain stage with an extra 12AX7. It also has a Bass Boost knob in the back. Something I found most interesting is when I had to replace the power amp tubes several years ago, I was NOT surprised to find JJ's in it, but I was very surprised that they were E34L's, not EL34's! And even more curious was my amp guy telling me the plate voltage was VERY unusually low for a high gain amp like this. I have a bad memory, but I want to say he said 70v.

I did get the chance to meet Mark a couple times when he worked at that guitar shop in Huntington Beach. He was super nice and showed me several different mods he had done. If anyone is curious, I'd be happy to post pics, videos, specs and whatever else.

I owned a commercial recording studio in So. California for 7 years and this amp got chosen by bands 9 out of 10 times to track with. It is BY FAR the best modified Marshall I've ever heard. And I've heard many.

-Justin

Attachments

• amp-heads.jpg
    amp-heads.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,134
Post the pics and I'll tell you what you have.

As for JJ's...E34L's have a fatter bottom end than the EL34 counterpart. A lot of guys into heavily music use them. they are good tubes!

Back