A little thrash to close out the 4th

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
Trickier lead this time!

Well-done man. :thumbsup:

Thank you again, especially for taking the time to listen!

The craziest part is, the damn rhythm took all day to get as clean as I could…

Then ran into technical difficulties with my phone and that lead was the 3rd attempt lol

I had really grand plans for this one but alas ran out of time and honestly pushing my abilities at this point…upwards and onwards 😂

... that lead was the 3rd attempt...
Great effort man. Only 3 attempts? Many around here wouldn't be able to play that with unlimited attempts, myself included.

Those descending "4s" are something I've always struggled with. Been attempting them since I realised Steve Lukather used them a lot since waaay back in the '70s.

Great effort man. Only 3 attempts? Many around here wouldn't be able to play that with unlimited attempts, myself included.

Those descending "4s" are something I've always struggled with. Been attempting them since I realised Steve Lukather used them a lot since waaay back in the '70s.
You are too kind, I didn’t mean the 3rd time thing as a boast, I just genuinely ran out of time and when I realized it, I think I just went into overdrive

My Achilles heel (there are many) but in this instance I wanted to write the whole solo out. I always lose patience and end up feeling it out.

It doesn’t sound terrible but I always get left with the feeling that the note choices could be optimized! But that’s a goal for the rest of the year alongside building technique and speed.

I’m regards to the descending 4’s, may I ask what seems to be the biggest hurdle to you mastering them or at least feeling like you’re making progress with them?

Probably the fingering. Never really looked into how peeps do it; just always attempted it by-ear.

It doesn’t sound terrible but I always get left with the feeling that the note choices could be optimized!
IMHO if you paused the scales more often on "interesting" notes (try to avoid root notes for this I reckon) and for additional interest bent up to those notes, adding vibrato after a bit of sustain, this alone could take the solos, at least the ones I've heard from you lately, to the next level.

FWIMBW, I've always been a better critic than musician, so hopefully this tip is useful...

Probably the fingering. Never really looked into how peeps do it; just always attempted it by-ear.

IMHO if you paused the scales more often on "interesting" notes (try to avoid root notes for this I reckon) and for additional interest bent up to those notes, adding vibrato after a bit of sustain, this alone could take the solos, at least the ones I've heard from you lately, to the next level.

FWIMBW, I've always been a better critic than musician, so hopefully this tip is useful...
Dude that was the exact goal!!! It takes me so long to get the rhythm parts down that by the time it’s time to really craft the solo as you’re saying, I’m out of time.

But what you said nails it on the head and I’ve definitely realized that too.

The faster things get, the more it just becomes a flurry of notes. I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and force myself to really pick and choose my notes.

I suspect that will cause another problem which is muscle memory is used to ripping notes without pauses, but no other way to get better than force myself to do so!

Your feedback is ALWAYS welcome!

The thing that helped me was listening to Alex Skolnick play that type of run and then I slowed it down to play along

Paul Gilbert and Alexi Laiho tutorial series also helped, both are available on YouTube for free, if you might have any interest in checking them out!

The faster things get, the more it just becomes a flurry of notes. I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and force myself to really pick and choose my notes.
You can stick with the notes in the runs you're using, not change anything about them, but simply land on notes that sound interesting to you other than the root note (most of the time).

Try pausing / sustaining each note in a scale you're using for a run and see how it sounds against a chord background / song.

You'll quickly grow to like certain notes in said scale/s as ones to bend to / sustain / add vibrato to.

Different genres have different notes that have become popular in this regard. I don't know theory so can't really describe any to you, but if you take blues for example, you'll hear a lot of this with maybe just 1 or 2 notes.

@CrystalSky thank you! Appreciate you checking it out!!

@thegame thank you kindly! I live that guitar because Marty Friedman is my all time favorite…but that is also what makes it a really intimidating guitar to play! Mentally I don’t want to let it down lol 😂

@Techdeth thank you very much! The goal is to do a lot more thrash stuff because just like you, it’s what I grew up on and call home base. It gets very challenging for me though because I’m always trying to live up to expectations in my head and very easily throw ideas out. For some reason the other slower random instrumental stuff I do, I have an easier time churning out randomly 😅

You can stick with the notes in the runs you're using, not change anything about them, but simply land on notes that sound interesting to you other than the root note (most of the time).

Try pausing / sustaining each note in a scale you're using for a run and see how it sounds against a chord background / song.

You'll quickly grow to like certain notes in said scale/s as ones to bend to / sustain / add vibrato to.

Different genres have different notes that have become popular in this regard. I don't know theory so can't really describe any to you, but if you take blues for example, you'll hear a lot of this with maybe just 1 or 2 notes.

Everything you’re saying makes perfect sense but I’ve got so much Muscle memory built up, when I do runs at that speed trying to stop on anything but the root note makes my brain go “durrrrrrhhhhhh”….literally Homer Simpson style

But the ability to do so is what separates the big boys from the little boys

Gonna work on this at slower tempos and try to build it back up

One of my favorite things is when guys like Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert add in odd time sequences and match key shifts without hitting root notes, but it takes so much brain power lololol

Lots to work on but what you said has just solidified the note choice issue is where I need to start a line of focus

Back