A question about the Diezel Schmidt's power rating

AngryGoldfish

Since it has a more appropriate power rating, I'm back GASing for a Diezel Schmidt. But I was just wondering something:

How does the power amp work? It is only rated at 30 watts with two KT88's, which, for most other amps, would rate at around 90 watts. How come?

Also, has there been an increase in prices for Diezel products? I noticed Thomann and Music Store both hiked their prices up by around €150-200 for everything.

The power rating is 30 watts class A with 2 EL34BHT
If You would increase the plate voltage and power
rating You would come into class A/B. Class A amps
sounds good at lower volumes and You can crank up
the power amp.

Since the Euro was established we didn´t increase
the prices and the cost of material was raising
40% during the last 5 years. A step of 3% for the
dealers is more than fair.

Please ask James at Diezel UK for Your price.

I understand. I didn't mean to seem like I was compaining about the price. I hope it didn't offend you (or anyone)?

Regarding the Schmidt - so an amp can be pulled down to Class A by using EL34's and by decreasing the plate voltage? And installed KT88's (which I don't feel like I'd need to do) would make it class A/B and a lot higher in clean power? Sorry if I'm getting this all wrong. :doh:

Oh, and does the amp come stock with EL34BHT's? That would be ideal for me personally.

Thanks very much!

Please no concerns, I´m good ;)

If You use 6550s in the Schmidt You will
get only a very small amount of more headroom.

More volume is only reachable with a higher
plate voltage. In this case it´s no more class A
amp.

Excuse my bad English,

Peter

Ahh, that makes sense. So changing the valves only increases or decreases the clean headroom? That sounds perfect. Is the plate voltage related to the output transformer?

What would you (or anyone) say is the best high-gain power-valve for home recording in the Schmidt? I was told that a 6L6 might be best...

I also had a look on the Diezel UK website and noticed the price plan thing you and James have got goin' on. It could be ideal for me since I don't have enough money to pay all in one go, but by the end of the year I should be able to pay for 60% of it. :rock: I'll have to contact James to see if I'm eligible. Sometimes these deals only apply to those who have high credit ratings.

Thanks very much Peter. I very much appreciate your help!

Daniel

If you plan to use the Schmidt in the home, try JJ 6V6S power tubes.
It will bring your amp down to 15 watts.

I was thinking that, but does the power valve determine the amount of gain you can reach, because the few 6v6 amps I've played (Laney, Matamp, etc.) didn't have as much gain as I would of liked, and didn't have very much clean headroom either. And seeing as I might be using this as my clean tone + plus high gain tone, A/B'ed with the Soldano into another cabinet, I thought something with a bit more headroom and gain would be more suitable, like the 6L6 or EL34?

What do you think?

AGF,
We are talking about Diezel amps here, not the other companies further back in the peloton. (I've been watching the Tour de France). :)

You will hear the same type of tones from the JJ 6V6S tubes that you do from the EL-34's Peter has mentioned, just at a slightly reduced volume. Your clean, crunch, and lead channels will be terrific. Your clean channel will have the power for cleans but at about 3 o'clock, you will hear glorious "hair" growing from the speaker cabs that will give you some sustain for the cleans.

I still set the EQ to 12 noon and then make very minor adjustments to the EQ depending on the room we are playing in. I run my volumes up to 3 o'clock and my gain on ch 2 to 2-3 o'clock and ch 3 gain to about 1-2 o'clock. The amp is running in the power range there and sounds absolutely decoritating.

So the Schmidt also relies on the preamp for tone like the other Diezel amps?

I was listening to a couple of clips on YouTube (it's basically the only place that has them), and a guy named spiraless was playing his at super low volumes ... and it sounded good. I mean, I'd never play that low, even when I'm just with myself, so it should sound even better when you push it a bit more. :rock:

What speaker cabinet would you recommend? Bare in mind, please, I cannot really afford a Diezel cabinet, even the 2x12. I'd love to have one but I just can't justify it right now, especially with the premise of saving up for a Schmidt, which isn't cheap in itself.

Thanks, man. I'm Dan, btw,

If I were in your situation, Dan, and had a speaker cab already, I would not go out and buy another cab until I had the money for a Diezel 2x12 TT hemp loaded cab for use with the Schmidt.
The match-up is just perfect.
If you do not have any speaker cab now, possibly think of getting an inexpensive 1x12, or 2x12 cab to hold you over.
However, I would not spend any more money then was necessary until I could buy the 2x12 Diezel for the Schmidt.
This is just my opinion. There of course are other ways to go, and someone will probably chime in here with their thoughts.

Stephen

Well, I already have a cabinet, but I use it with my Soldano. I suppose I could just use the one cabinet for now. It'd mean I wouldn't be able to switch between them with a A/B box, but that's not the end of the world. And like you said, when I do have the money, I can simply put down an order for a Diezel 2x12 or something similar.

I've never heard a Tone Tubby in person, but the Rivera speaker comparison video on YouTube doesn't do them any favours. I doubt it's really an accurate platform to base an opinion on, but it's all I have right now - except the few people who own a Schmidt on here and use it with a Hempcone cabinet.

The cabinet I currently have is Matamp 2x12 with V30's. It was going to have a K100 in it, but that idea fell through thanks to Celestion being slow dickwads. :gethim:

Back