A question about the Herbert

BigSwerve

I just bought a Herbert used and it sounds great! Except for one the thing... The amp is freaking noisey! I have a decimator that keeps the amp from feeding back and squealing but there is still a humming sound that I have found that doesnt go away. I have checked/changed every single cable I am using and it is still there. Is it common for the herbert to have this much noise? Some of you Herbert owners enlighten me on what is causeing thing and what I can do to change it. thanks a head of time

Mine has the same hum... I also have a decimator that i use. I tried to adjust the hum trimmer inside the head but it didnt fix it. I was thinking about getting a nice line conditioner (an actual one not one that says is "cancels out ground noise and rfi") I have all new tubes in mine and it does it. didn't change at all when i replaced them. Another thing is that it... Vibrates alittle when it's on and I'm not playing. You can feel the electricity flowing in it. is your's doing that BigSwerve?

-Alex

Mine is as quiet as I would expect a high-gainer to be. Of course if gain is full on it starts to squeal like a pig, but that is normal and I never go there. However I have noticed that this amp causes quite a lot of "humm and brumm" interference if you bring the guitar very close to it. I noticed this as I was recording in my "home studio", but I do not consider that any kind of a problem though.

Do you have the humm still when nothing else except cab and guitar are connected?
If yes, it would be good idea to check the tubes as RJF already suggested.
If not, I think we once again find ourselves looking for ground loop or lack of shielding in someone's equipment.

Also, have you tried another power outlet? In same building? In other buildings?

Mine was quiet considering the amount of gain on tap. I'd look at valves, then power supply, then ground loops.

Tube amps are very picky about the power you feed them... if you've replaced all your tubes I would start looking into a good power conditioner or something like that...

Also, are you plugging straight into the amp? Or do you have some pedals plugged in as well? Sounds silly but awhile back I was having crazy noise problems and it actually ended up being a cheap power adapter I was powering one of my pedals with...

It's all a process of elimination, aside from normal high gain "hiss" Diezel head's should be damn near silent in my experience...

Compared to every head i have used it is one of the quietest. It does it with no pedals, no guitar, no cable plugged into the front, and it will be better or worse depending the venue I'm playing at. I've changed the pre-amp tubes and power amp tubes and such with no luck. Probably just dirty power in my area or I'm just being over critical. It's a really really really small hum thats only noticeable when I get right up next to the cab and listen to it or when I jam the full stack in my bed room lol. I guess I need to try a good power conditioner. I have one but it's a cheep one that doesn't have a line conditioner in it.

-Alex

bananaladonpcp":26rytrrx said:
Mine has the same hum... I also have a decimator that i use. I tried to adjust the hum trimmer inside the head but it didnt fix it. I was thinking about getting a nice line conditioner (an actual one not one that says is "cancels out ground noise and rfi") I have all new tubes in mine and it does it. didn't change at all when i replaced them. Another thing is that it... Vibrates alittle when it's on and I'm not playing. You can feel the electricity flowing in it. is your's doing that BigSwerve?

-Alex

Where is the hum trimmer inside the head? I havent seen this yet. Mine doesnt have new tubes yet because I just finally got it dialed in and have a show on Friday I will be replacing them after the show. Mine does not vibrate just a very noticeable ok loud hum that I cant get to go away.

i.ak":1ozthysa said:
Mine is as quiet as I would expect a high-gainer to be. Of course if gain is full on it starts to squeal like a pig, but that is normal and I never go there. However I have noticed that this amp causes quite a lot of "humm and brumm" interference if you bring the guitar very close to it. I noticed this as I was recording in my "home studio", but I do not consider that any kind of a problem though.

Do you have the humm still when nothing else except cab and guitar are connected?
If yes, it would be good idea to check the tubes as RJF already suggested.
If not, I think we once again find ourselves looking for ground loop or lack of shielding in someone's equipment.

Also, have you tried another power outlet? In same building? In other buildings?

Yes I still have the hum when I go straight from the guitar with a brand new 9volt with a brand new cable to the head with nothing else connected. Mine is hooked up to a furman dont know what model as it is at the studio right now. I tried a different power outlet in the same room where the other guitar player plugs up 2 and still have the same issues.

bananaladonpcp":2m6atkdx said:
Compared to every head i have used it is one of the quietest. It does it with no pedals, no guitar, no cable plugged into the front, and it will be better or worse depending the venue I'm playing at. I've changed the pre-amp tubes and power amp tubes and such with no luck. Probably just dirty power in my area or I'm just being over critical. It's a really really really small hum thats only noticeable when I get right up next to the cab and listen to it or when I jam the full stack in my bed room lol. I guess I need to try a good power conditioner. I have one but it's a cheep one that doesn't have a line conditioner in it.

-Alex

Mine does it with no pedals, no guitar, no cable plugged into the front as well. I dont think I am being over critial with mine because mine is very noticably loud. like im worried for the sound guy at our show on Friday and I dont want it to make us look bad. So is a line conditioner what I need? I have a furman like I said earlier that has the volt meter on the front of it. Do I need something different than that?

BigSwerve":2c7mxumg said:
bananaladonpcp":2c7mxumg said:

-Alex

Mine does it with no pedals, no guitar, no cable plugged into the front as well. I dont think I am being over critial with mine because mine is very noticably loud. like im worried for the sound guy at our show on Friday and I dont want it to make us look bad. So is a line conditioner what I need? I have a furman like I said earlier that has the volt meter on the front of it. Do I need something different than that?

Here's a picture of the hum trimmer in the head... It's on the same side as the input.

The furmans with the volt meter on the front usually are just glorified surge protectors. They dont regulate the voltage or condition the line at all. Most of them filter out line noise thats around the 2kh range where you wont really notice it on the amp. Infact mine makes the amp noisier when it's plugged into it lol. Gotta find one that is a line conditioner that regulates the voltage and actually filters out noise and rfi. But it might be a ground problem in the head that youre experiencing.

-Alex

Attachments

• 100_2367 crop.jpg
    100_2367 crop.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,088
  • 100_2373.JPG
    100_2373.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,088
bananaladonpcp":1hxvxd24 said:
BigSwerve":1hxvxd24 said:
bananaladonpcp":1hxvxd24 said:

-Alex

Here's a picture of the hum trimmer in the head... It's on the same side as the input.

The furmans with the volt meter on the front usually are just glorified surge protectors. They dont regulate the voltage or condition the line at all. Most of them filter out line noise thats around the 2kh range where you wont really notice it on the amp. Infact mine makes the amp noisier when it's plugged into it lol. Gotta find one that is a line conditioner that regulates the voltage and actually filters out noise and rfi. But it might be a ground problem in the head that youre experiencing.

-Alex

Ok thanks for the pics I see what you are talking about now. Where is it suppose to be set to does it matter? Is everyones different?

Ok I will look for a line conditioner and see if I can get my hands on one thanks for the info.

BigSwerve":36fj5n08 said:
bananaladonpcp":36fj5n08 said:
BigSwerve":36fj5n08 said:
bananaladonpcp":36fj5n08 said:

-Alex

mess with it and see if it fixes your problem. If not see if some new tubes fix it or bring it to a tech to see if it has a grounding problem. The furman line conditioners are pretty expensive...

-Alex

Ok thanks for the pics I see what you are talking about now. Where is it suppose to be set to does it matter? Is everyones different?

Ok I will look for a line conditioner and see if I can get my hands on one thanks for the info.

Adjust it and see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't get some new tubes and see if that fixes it. The next step would be to take it to a tech and see if it has a grounding problem. The line conditioners are pretty expensive but they are really great to have. The keep a constant 120V current and filters out any kind of ground noise or rfi from the wall.

-Alex

To adjust the humm-trimmer you need to have your amp on and on "run" with cab connected. Set the amp to the channel you have the most humm and start turning the trimmer to see the effect. Im rather sure cannot get rid of all humm, but there should be a clear effect to its amount in case this is the source.

And please note that the the humm-trimmer can be destroyed by a faulty power tube - Esp. as you said you purhcased your amp used. I had this happening in my VH4 when one KT88 exploded inside my amp (was really annoying job to clean all the shards of glass). Peter recommends replacing the humm-trimmer with resistors nowadays - At least on VH4, but I think the same applies to Herbert as well.

By the way, have you also tried to change the power cord?

I wouldn't mess with the hum balance yet. I would start with the preamp tubes, then the power tubes, especially if it's never been changed. If you don't have tubes, I would still get them. And if in the end it was not the tubes causing the problem, they're still nice to have around as spare.

Back