A whole bunch of beginner Live questions - sorry!

Hi all,

I would like to apologise in advance for what I fear is going to be a very long rambling post!

Having agonised for quite some time between Kempers and Fractals and valves, I think I've come to the decision that the Torpedo Live is the one for me. I like to plug and play and have never been big into tweaking - my POD sits on one single profile and I really don't think I'd get the use out of either of the big two modellers. Not to mention I love the idea of being able to just sit with an actual amp again. Of course, all I'm going to do is sit in my study bashing out awful pentatonic riffs and the occasional semi-recognisable rhythm - but still!

Before I take the plunge, I was just hoping to clear up a few things regarding the Torpedo that I think I understand, but it's always good to be sure before money changes hands!

Firstly - and I think it seems to have been answered on several different occasions, I am slightly afraid of the recommended 100watt limit (admittedly my current amps are rated at 5 and 10 watts respectively) - but I gather that running a 100w (or even higher) head is rarely going to cause problems because there's no need to dime all the settings - right? I'm pretty sure I've seen someone playing a Diezel Herbert, and they're 180w, so I'm guessing any sort of 100 watt head is going to be absolutely safe.

Secondly, the vast majority of Live setups I've seen involved going from the line out into a USB interface, into the PC and monitors. Obviously setting up the profiles is going to be easiest with the Live attached to my computer, but I was hoping to get as simple a setup as possible. With that in mind, is there any reason not to go directly from the line out into my powered studio monitors? I understand it's a single, mono output - could I split the signal with something like a Lehle P-Split to go into both monitors at once? Just hoping to get a bit more 'oomph' out of my little Yamahas! Is this feasible, and would it throw up any problems with phase or anything like that? All advice is appreciated!*

Thirdly, and I have no idea if this kind of discussion is allowed or encouraged, but there is currently a good deal on a nearly-new Live on a well known auction site. How would a used model work with licensing and so forth, in terms of registering the product and using the Remote software? I couldn't tell whether there was any Wall of Sound integration, so I don't know whether I would need to buy a licence key for that?

Should that item sell or not be a convenient option, I note that on the EU direct store you have the option of selecting a plug; I'm assuming there is nothing more to it than selecting the British 3-pin option? I've been scared off in the past by tales of voltage differences and products being 'region locked' (for want of a better phrase) but I'm hoping that's not the case here.

Finally - the silliest question of all - a gentle reminder that the Live is perfect for my needs - cranking a few amps with fantastic low volume tone in my study. There is no need to fork out for a Studio - right? I mean, all the dual cab setups sound wonderful, and the higher wattage limit would certainly ease my paranoia. Plus there are stereo outs, so I wouldn't need the splitter. But I definitely would be content with the Live... right?

Again, sorry for all the questions - you all know how GAS works though! It's been week after week of straining to hear compressed Youtube audio just to get to this point ;)

Thanks again,

Rob

* I did consider the option of going from the line out into a stereo reverb/delay, and then into the monitors. Would this be a valid way of splitting the signal, or am I missing something obvious? Of course, I don't actually own any stereo stomps at the moment, and the Lehle has the advantage of being passive, so this is entirely hypothetical!

Lots of questions, hopefully a few useful answers ;)

the Live has a standard IEC connector so the matching power cable for your country is all that is required, warranty is provided in the country of sale.

You would not need a P Split which is designed for guitar level signals. You can easily split the line out with a Y cable but most application either use a mixer (mini or not) or a stereo effect post Torpedo to 2 monitors. You could also use (with correct padding) the headphone output.

It is possible to use a larger amp but running it dimed will cause the Torpedo to shutdown, emit a warning message and switch to the security load. This would be more a concern with a larger vintage amp like a Marshall Major or an SVT than with a Diezel where so much gain and volume management is available on the head and most of the desired character doesn't require the amp to be full up. as stated in the manual, don't set an amp louder than one would set it with a regular speaker cabinet. The Two Notes youtube channel has a video explaining the security load function.

When acquiring a previously owned Torpedo, the seller should release his cabinet license and then you can register the cabinets to your account. In the case you have a hostile seller, contact the help desk and explain the parameters. With all Torpedo products, the cabinet license is available to you for all Torpedo products so as a Live owner, you have access to these same cabinets in WOSIII and should you buy a new cabinet in WOSIII, that purchase would also be accessible in your hardware etc. You would also be able to apply any firmware updates to get the latest features.

The USB connection is not an audio interface so you will need to get the Torpedo signal into your computer. Should you wish to connect digitally, the Live requires a 48/96kHz sampling rate for your session. In this regard the Studio offers considerably more elegance and flexibility.

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your thorough reply! I'm definitely edging ever closer to the Torpedo option :)

Just to confirm, for a very basic and simple setup, I could go as follows:

Guitar > Amp Head > Torpedo Live > (Line Out into Stereo Cable) > 2 x Studio Monitors

Using something such as this cable for example?

Sorry if this should all be obvious - just want to make sure I don't miss anything :) As I said, just hoping to avoid having to run too much hardware every time I fancy a bit of a practice!

Thanks again!

Brilliant, thanks! :)

The intricacies of balanced/unbalanced/TRS/TS etc have always been a bit beyond me to be honest... something tells me it's time to do some reading!

Back