Adam Jones VH4 Channel 3 settings

jonl

Anyone have the pic floating around that shows the taped off settings for his VH4 Channel 3?
I don't know if it was legit or not, just wondering.
If not does anyone know his CH 3 settings?

Thanks,
Jon

It was legit, but he doesn't own that amp anymore. If memory serves me well he had a silverface made to the same specs as his old blueface in around 2005 and that amp is the one he uses for a backup now... I saw a post from Olaf about it ages ago.

I'll have to dig the photo up or I'm sure google is your friend for that one.

His settings on that amp from memory were
ch 3:
gain ~1:00
Volume: noon
Treble: 2:00
Mids: cranked all the way
Bass: 4-5:00

Master vol: noonish?
Presence: 2-3:00
Deep: 2-3:00

That should get you in the ballpark.

EDIT: pics are here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69874&p=815366&hilit=Vh4+Adam+jones+settings#p815366

jonl":24hikgqp said:
Anyone have the pic floating around that shows the taped off settings for his VH4 Channel 3?
I don't know if it was legit or not, just wondering.
If not does anyone know his CH 3 settings?

Thanks,
Jon

Thanks so much!
This is a long shot, but do you know what pedals he uses in front of the amp and what one's go into the effects loop?
Thanks,
Jon

I'm pretty sure none go into the effects loop. There is a video of his rig walk-through done by dunlop on youtube somewhere. Dig for yourself man. That's part of the philosophy of Tool. Most of the info is out there if you look hard enough.

Oh I have watched that video more than transformers growing up :LOL: :LOL:
That video helped me with my delay and Flanger settings :)
The video doesn't help with the effects as far as order and in front of the amp or in the loop.
I have been looking and searching for while now, I have read somewhere he puts them in front, but they also had a bunch of other things incorrect as well. I will just set it up the way it works for me better.

Thanks for the help

Jonesy uses a lot of different FX a lot of different times. I don't think he's a set in stone kinda guy except for the obvious - flanger, delay (line 6 amongst others), chopper wah, moog/taurus. Those pedals have been taped in front of him for 10+ years. He digs some synthy stuff too, that's the pixie dust in my opinion.

I know FourT6and2 has some good info on this... He's dialed in Jonesy's tone pretty nicely. I've made a patch in the Axe-II, sounds very very similar to many passages of Adam's playing. It's a combo of the VH4 and old school Marshall with a lot of work on the bass/low frequencies in the deeper portions of the Axe's Marshall emu. I've got dual delays, flange, reverb, some pitch shifting, and going stereo through two cabs - mesa v30 and I think a boutique german. Can't recall. Sounds pretty deadringer for the Lateralus tones though. I went by ear after picking the 2 amps, using Triad and Lateralus (the song) as a test reference.

Does he use any of the other channels, and what settings on those? I know he plays LP Silverbursts, what pickups does he usually use?

bforest4":2olgcdd0 said:
Does he use any of the other channels, and what settings on those? I know he plays LP Silverbursts, what pickups does he usually use?

yip, he does use the other channels sometimes, look at the pic for the markings to see the settings. Seymour Duncan JB in all his Silverbursts, doesn’t use neck pickup at all and has neck volume turned off so pickup selector acts as mute

And take all those settings and suggestions with more than 10 grains of salt... because he is running one more rig in parallel to the vh4; 2 amps with 2 different cabs and speakers ARE going to influence each other's tone quite a bit. Plus the Lords of Kobol know what custom mods have been made to both amps along the way. (And allegedly neither the mics used nor the axe itself are anything to really write home about - the bottom line is, when you take the player out of the equation, his tone is a whole line of things that shape and alter the end result)

If you are really determined and don't have to worry about a second guitar player in your band and have that mid-range all to yourself like Adam does (most of the time, Justin is probably somewhere down there with seismic activities in terms of Hertz...and Watt), then try combining a v30 rear and k100 front and that should give you a giant leap forward. Suggestion from the source. So say we all.

kahawe":1kmg7m1q said:
And take all those settings and suggestions with more than 10 grains of salt... because he is running one more rig in parallel to the vh4; 2 amps with 2 different cabs and speakers ARE going to influence each other's tone quite a bit. Plus the Lords of Kobol know what custom mods have been made to both amps along the way. (And allegedly neither the mics used nor the axe itself are anything to really write home about - the bottom line is, when you take the player out of the equation, his tone is a whole line of things that shape and alter the end result)

If you are really determined and don't have to worry about a second guitar player in your band and have that mid-range all to yourself like Adam does (most of the time, Justin is probably somewhere down there with seismic activities in terms of Hertz...and Watt), then try combining a v30 rear and k100 front and that should give you a giant leap forward. Suggestion from the source. So say we all.

Neither of his amps are modified. Mr. Friedman posted the exact specs of his Marshall, at least. And it's pretty much just a stock Super Lead (late 70's metal-panel JMP spec). Although, it started its life as a Super Bass. But the two are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable.

But yes, you won't cop Adam's sound without the Marshall. The Diezel is providing all the bottom end and gain. The Marshall is providing the ability to clean up really well and lots of upper mids. And his mics are actually pretty sweet. And he's set them up so there is a weird phasing going on with his (live) tone.

kloppsta":2drdyrqc said:
here you go dude....

I know this is old, but in case anyone is looking for this info, the links above state, "Image currently unavailable". I've attached a pic of the indicated channel 3 settings of his reissue (2011) VH4 from a Tool meet and greet; this way it's not susceptible to image hosting changes. All values are in reference to clock position.

Channel 3:
  • Gain: 12:00
  • Volume: 13:00
  • Treble: 16:00
  • Middle: 17:00
  • Bass: 15:00

Master:
  • Volume: 09:00
  • Loop: 06:00 (off)
  • Presence: 15:00
  • Deep: 14:00

Attachments

• aj_reissue_vh4_front.jpg
    aj_reissue_vh4_front.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 5,024
enroute":1azqwimy said:
kloppsta":1azqwimy said:
here you go dude....

I know this is old, but in case anyone is looking for this info, the links above state, "Image currently unavailable". I've attached a pic of the indicated channel 3 settings of his reissue (2011) VH4 from a Tool meet and greet; this way it's not susceptible to image hosting changes. All values are in reference to clock position.

Channel 3:
  • Gain: 12:00
  • Volume: 13:00
  • Treble: 16:00
  • Middle: 17:00
  • Bass: 15:00

Master:
  • Volume: 09:00
  • Loop: 06:00 (off)
  • Presence: 15:00
  • Deep: 14:00

On my 2016 silverface these settings make for a quite bright tone - compared to what is the NORMAL dark, fat signature Diezel sound with all knobs at 12 o'clock.

Back