Akira's Thunder in the East Tone

gtrlw

I listed to Thunder in the East at the gym last night and was blown away. Talk about pissed-off Marshall tone. Akira has it in spades. I spent some time on the Google last night trying to find out what amp(s) he recorded that album with. While there is talk of Lee Jackson this and Jose that, I couldn’t find a definitive answer. Anybody know?

On a side note, my JMP-1 is arriving today. My neighbors may be a little irritated with me this weekend. Something about working long hours makes me want to crank up my amps and grind out some heavy riffs.

My friend of mine knows Akira and he was told a early 70's Marshall hundred on 10 with a Boss od-1 to just boost a bit more.

RACKSYSTEMS":1bjxj2cm said:
My friend of mine know Akira and he was told a early 70's Marshall hundred on 10 with a Boss od-1 to just boost a bit more.

Awesome. Thanks, Dave. :thumbsup:

VH1 and Crazy Nights sound a lot alike to me... same ballpark anyway.

great tones.. lets see if we can get by without any degrading accent slang remarks ;)

dave

I saw Loudness on the Thunder tour at Harpo's in Detroit I think it was 85, if I remember correctly he was using a couple JMP Marshall heads but also had a rack full of shit too. Harpo's is like a 3-4k seater and he replicated the Thunder tone perfectly as I recall. They were excellent live....

Shawn Lutz":2m4x3vok said:
I saw Loudness on the Thunder tour at Harpo's in Detroit I think it was 85, if I remember correctly he was using a couple JMP Marshall heads but also had a rack full of shit too. Harpo's is like a 3-4k seater and he replicated the Thunder tone perfectly as I recall. They were excellent live....

yep I saw that tour as well. Amazing Marshall tone. What blew me away was the fact that his hands were so tiny and he was pulling off all the cool flashy licks with no problem. Roudness Rocks! :rock:

@Greazygeo

So, does that mean that despite the DSL bashing on RT, they actually sound as good as the highly coveted Marshalls.

I'm talking rhythm tone here. Take the opening riff to Crazy Nights, for example. Can you get that tone with a DSL? If so, there's a guy on my local Craigslist that I need to visit.
:D

There's DSL bashing on RT? Most people seem to like the amp, especially considering its price. It's the TSL that nobody likes.

gtrlw":17bvdjav said:
@Greazygeo

So, does that mean that despite the DSL bashing on RT, they actually sound as good as the highly coveted Marshalls.

I'm talking rhythm tone here. Take the opening riff to Crazy Nights, for example. Can you get that tone with a DSL? If so, there's a guy on my local Craigslist that I need to visit.
:D
I think he was getting most of his tone from the GT8 actually. He absolutely had that midboosted tone going on.

When I saw him in '86 he had a rack that was taller than him and I think some Mesa stuff (Lightning Strikes tour).

As for DSL's I like the Rhythm (green ) channel. With a boost in front its pretty ripping. The Red channel is too grainy and the feel is mushy for me.

I wouldnt give up my plexis for one. :LOL: :LOL:

Shawn Lutz":1vvx3hly said:

Oh I remember going to that show! Holy shit talk about volume and tone!

there was a Rocktron Intellifex a Pro Gap preamp a lot .6550 tpower tubes in 800's and I think Mesa boogie studio preamps for Cleans like Leverty of Firehouse at least from some of the backstage gear shots and interviews .i think now it is a Marshall Jmp in the 9100 power amps

Back