Alright, getting my first Preamp, need a power amp.

Joeytpg

What are the best out there?

I'm looking a power amp that will cover these:

1) something light and no more than 2RU
2) sounds good although it doesn't have to be THE BEST since It'll be used for house jamming.
3) doesn't need to have tubes, I'm flexible specially the purpose of it.
4) no more than 700 US

I have the old Tubeworks Mosvalve power amp and that sounds great to me. And they're dirt-cheap too!

Rocktron Velocity 300, sounds great very reliable. The 300 is nicer than the Velocity 100 as it has Reactance and Definition controls for extra tone shaping. When I was shopping for a power amp, the Velocity 300 had a lot of good reviews and a lot people commented that it sounded very tube like. For me it sounds great, it can also do mono or stereo. I e-mailed Rocktron twice for support and honestly they have given me the best customer support, I e-mailed them a question and literally had a response in five minutes. Jim at Rocktron is awesome.

I'm really enjoying my Velocity 300 too, I've also had a Marshall 8008 which was also really good, but the tone controls on the Rocktron are very handy and it sounds a bit clearer to my ears. Both 1U as well.

thanks for the recommendations guys. I think I'll go with the Rocktron.

I only have a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue combo at the moment, so I don't think the preamp will sound that great through it.

Retro Channel Poweramp

according to their website = 699€ (New)

weight: 22 ibs

IMG_1784_zps8715b062.jpg

not only for modellers (Axe-Fx & 11Rack) - also for tube preamps

Lance Keltner":3ic2cid1 said:
Power Amp
Our Price: $699.00
btn_addtocart_small.gif

We are very excited about the new amp and have had one on the West Coast for the past few weeks that is garnering very positive reviews from Session Players and Touring guitarists as well. What sets the Retro Channel Power Amp apart from other power amps on the market?

Our Analog Modeling technology:
Our proprietary modeling technology allows us to provide the end user with a Power amp that sounds and more importantly FEELS like a tube amp. We have received feedback from customers over the past 2 weeks that the Retro Channel power amp brought the patches on their Fractal AxeFx alive. By varying the volume control on each channel (there is both a volume and a master volume on each channel) the end user can vary the amount of tube power amp saturation and vary the Feel of the amp to taste. Our power amp is also a great choice for those of you who are using tube preamps, Bogner, CAE, etc. Retain the real tube signal path tone and feel while enjoying a stereo experience that provides you with 100 watts per channel at 22 pounds When we say 100 watts, we mean 100 tube watts. Our Power amp is as loud as a pair of 1968 Plexi Marshall amps in stereo.

At least wait for the upgraded Rocktron. And if you can not wait.....Koch ATR-4502. Combines the best of tubes and Mosfets. :rock:

You're coming from a VH4 - so I'd get something which at least covers the bottom end pretty well. I'd go tube (of course) and look for something used with resonance/depth pots like a Peavey Classic or similar.
Not sure if the thing Piero suggested might be good in this area too though.

The important question is what preamp are you running, and what style of music?

I had a couple of preamps for a while, Mako Mak4, AxeFx, Egnator M4, ENGL E530 and I had a few power amps, peavey Classic 50/50, some big 3U Marshall, but believe it or not my favourite was a 600 watt Yamaha PA power amp. It sounded great at low volumes, and it killed at high volumes. It might be worth checking out a PA power amp with a lot of head room. I also tried a small Carvin DMC150, but the big Yamaha blew it out of the water. I think that having so much headroom really lets the sound of the preamp come through.

I'm getting one of Olaf's Preamps. I play mostly Clean, dirty clean and some very light crunch. But I'll play some hard rock and Metal for fun.

This preamp will not see live action (for now) so I'm not interested in having it excel at high volumes

A little outside the box, but if you're handy with tools you could...

...build your own cabs and make a provision to mount the power amp in the cab. I did this about 10 years ago. I made a pair of 2x12 cabs, and mounted in each cab a Peavey Classic 60 power amp. It kept the rack lighter and smaller, and since the cabs were on casters, they weren't that bad to move around. Powered P.A. cabs are the norm nowadays, so why not tube powered guitar cabs? Wacky, I know.

Back