Am I about to get ripped off??? advice please!

Currently teaching english in Seoul, South Korea. Brought over my Martin OM28V, don't even touch it anymore since the past year. So i put it up on seoul craigslist (yes there exists such a thing it's awesome for foreigners living in Seoul). I'm not getting any bites for a few weeks, then I get an email from a guy asking to pay via paypal and ship it to ohio.

I've done a lot of transactions in the past, and it's usually the other way around in my experience (eg. the americas buying from the east like ishibashi etc). So this makes my spidey sense go off... I'd figure there are WAY more used Martins in Ohio alone vs the entire country of South Korea...not to mention the used market in the east is completely inflated compared to the used market in the west...

Anybody willing to share some ways I can pull this off without losing a $2500 guitar just in case the guy really is a scammer?

Only ship to a verified account and verified shipping address for the buyer. Tell him you will wait until the money clears your account before shipping. Sweep the money from your PP then ship.

steve_k":3gx2fhur said:
Only ship to a verified account and verified shipping address for the buyer. Tell him you will wait until the money clears your account before shipping. Sweep the money from your PP then ship.
This! Tell the guy you will ship but make sure the FUNDS ARE IN YOUR ACCOUNT! :thumbsup:
Tell the buyer it will be a good 10-14 day wait for this to happen and you will ship only to a verified Paypal address.
If he wiggles...squirms...or objects.....PASS! ;)

Get a USPS mo cash it and when it clears ship item. No sale if he can't wait. You can also use a Service that will guarantee funds get accepted and item gets sent. Expensive though...

ibenhad":2bfhamjl said:
Get a USPS mo cash it and when it clears ship item. No sale if he can't wait. You can also use a Service that will guarantee funds get accepted and item gets sent. Expensive though...

This. Seems fishy...

Told him I'd need the funds to clear first, he said I have to SHIP first cause he's been ripped off before. YEAH RIGHT! no deal, done.

Thanks everyone for their input!

nickname009":15o0kf16 said:
Told him I'd need the funds to clear first, he said I have to SHIP first cause he's been ripped off before. YEAH RIGHT! no deal, done.

Good move and crisis averted :thumbsup:

You should post his email address and name so others are aware. He's probably lurked around the gear forums before. What a dickhead.

Steve

i dont use craigs list, i seem to constantly hear about scams on it. i did list a guitar on it ones, i heard nothing, checked my spam folder a month later and i had a ton of emails from people asking about it, wanting to look at it, making offers, most seemed fake or fishy.

LOL. Gotta love the nerve, thinking you'd send a martin from South Korea to Ohio first, just trusting him to send the money after?

nickname009":3gjk8ofl said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Talk about insulting one's intelligence! Post his email so we can fuck with him!

haha, hey ship me your guitar then ill pay you...

How about you just wire me $2500 and Ill see you never.

Zap":33qd0wlf said:
nickname009":33qd0wlf said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Talk about insulting one's intelligence! Post his email so we can fuck with him!

DITTO!

What a total dickhead. I'd love to see scammers, virus/malware creators, theives, etc strung-up to hang in their local public squares. The fact that a modern "civilized" society must tolerate the wolves as they lurk among us and prey on us disgusts me. :gethim:

Back