Amp and Cab switcher + Boss ES-8 + 4 Cable method

griff10672

So I recently bought a de Lisle amp switcher ... the 4 + 4 Pro plus .
I tried last night to hook up my ES-8 via the 4 cable method ..... using the the deLisle in and outs as the amps etc .. so I was thinking it would work perfect ... NOPE
it didn't sound right at all .... and I would still get effect when switching the FX loop to off on the deLisle ....
I'm pretty gear literate .... but WTF ...
anyone use a amp switcher with a Loop switcher ???
maybe I should post this in Tech ??

Might have to be more specific than “didn’t sound right.” How? More noise? Different tone?

The first thing that comes to mind there would be weird interaction of multiple buffers? The Boss pedal uses a buffer or two, and most amp switchers use buffers as well.

About the other thing, if “effects” are staying on when you turn them off, something is likely incorrectly configured.

Can you clarify what exactly you were hoping to achieve/control by combining the two? May a more specific 'from/to' explanation? You need to be careful to only route the ES-8 within the front and and effects loop signal paths. Assuming you didn't cross any wiring to accidentally get any of the powered signals mixed in? Suspect that would be more eventful that just not sounding good... :)

For the traditional 4 cable method just using one amp :

guitar > input of ES-8
Vol Send from ES-8 > amp's input
Amp FX loop send > Return Vol on ES-8
ES-8 Vol out > Amp FX return

How I hooked it up to the de Lisle Amp Switcher

guitar > input of ES-8
Vol Send from ES-8 > Switcher input ( input for all 4 amp inputs )
Switcher FX In ( FX send for all 4 amps ) > Return Vol on ES-8
ES-8 out > Switcher FX Out ( FX return for all 4 amps )

I want to be able to take advantage of putting certain loops through my FX loop ( delay , chorus etc ) and putting certain ones in front .
there's got to be a way to route it so it works .... I just have to figure it out .

right now I get effect .... but it sounds like just the pre amp going through the pedal ... it's not hitting the power amp correctly ... or at all

and when I turn off the loop to bypass it on the amp switcher .... I still hear it ....

For the traditional 4 cable method just using one amp :

guitar > input of ES-8
Vol Send from ES-8 > amp's input
Amp FX loop send > Return Vol on ES-8
ES-8 Vol out > Amp FX return

How I hooked it up to the de Lisle Amp Switcher

guitar > input of ES-8
Vol Send from ES-8 > Switcher input ( input for all 4 amp inputs )
Switcher FX In ( FX send for all 4 amps ) > Return Vol on ES-8
ES-8 out > Switcher FX Out ( FX return for all 4 amps )

I want to be able to take advantage of putting certain loops through my FX loop ( delay , chorus etc ) and putting certain ones in front .
there's got to be a way to route it so it works .... I just have to figure it out .

right now I get effect .... but it sounds like just the pre amp going through the pedal ... it's not hitting the power amp correctly ... or at all

and when I turn off the loop to bypass it on the amp switcher .... I still hear it ....
Looking at what is typed. It looks you you have and Input routed to an output and perhaps vice versa. I put it in bold red. Perhaps its just the terminology used by De-lisle, I would think you need FX OUT feed the return, it appears you are using FX input to feed a return.

Here's the routing diagram from the manual.

D9pVVz2.png

@griff10672 I checked out the de Lisle 4+4 Pro Plus. It has dedicated effects loop routing for all the amps it can handle, so that shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing to look out for... I also checked the manual of the Boss ES-8, and it looks like the ES-8's dedicated "preamp" loop in the chain can be moved around wherever you want, so you'll need to make sure it's in the right place for what you want.

BcvdfIf.png

The singal flow in the screenshot runs right to left. It looks like the preamp's loop, indicated with the "V" symbol, is placed before every other loop by default. You'll want to move it so it's routed later in the chain if you want your other loops to be routed in front of it.

Here's the routing diagram from the manual.

D9pVVz2.png

@griff10672 I checked out the de Lisle 4+4 Pro Plus. It has dedicated effects loop routing for all the amps it can handle, so that shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing to look out for... I also checked the manual of the Boss ES-8, and it looks like the ES-8's dedicated "preamp" loop in the chain can be moved around wherever you want, so you'll need to make sure it's in the right place for what you want.

BcvdfIf.png

The singal flow in the screenshot runs right to left. It looks like the preamp's loop, indicated with the "V" symbol, is placed before every other loop by default. You'll want to move it so it's routed later in the chain if you want your other loops to be routed in front of it.
shit ...... you know what ...... I think I simply setup the loop structure " left to right " instead of right to left like you posted ...

I had my delay before the Volume loop .... instead of after ..... that makes sense now that it sounded the way it did .. I had it going into the front end because of the back asswards loop structure I had going on ...

I'm going to try it out .....

Thanks a ton for pointing that simple factor out !!

Looking at what is typed. It looks you you have and Input routed to an output and perhaps vice versa. I put it in bold red. Perhaps its just the terminology used by De-lisle, I would think you need FX OUT feed the return, it appears you are using FX input to feed a return.
that's what I thought at first .... it is a bit confusing .... but in the manual it says "FX in " should go to the input of your effects chain

shit ...... you know what ...... I think I simply setup the loop structure " left to right " instead of right to left like you posted ...

I had my delay before the Volume loop .... instead of after ..... that makes sense now that it sounded the way it did .. I had it going into the front end because of the back asswards loop structure I had going on ...

I'm going to try it out .....

Thanks a ton for pointing that simple factor out !!

It's easy to make that mistake, yeah. With basically everything else in the English speaking universe, everything always flows from left to right, but with guitar pedals, it's the opposite.

It's easy to make that mistake, yeah. With basically everything else in the English speaking universe, everything always flows from left to right, but with guitar pedals, it's the opposite.
I've got it working now ..... thanks !!
now I just have to get the volumes evened out .... and play with the buffers ... cause I'm running a decent length of cable with this thing .

Question, is the Volume Out buffered when you use the 4 cable wiring?
yes ....with the Boss ES-8 you can turn on and off the input buffer ... and the output buffer ... per patch ..... comes in real handy when using Fuzzes .... they don't like buffers so much

yes ....with the Boss ES-8 you can turn on and off the input buffer ... and the output buffer ... per patch ..... comes in real handy when using Fuzzes .... they don't like buffers so much
Thanks for your reply but that is not what I am asking. When using the four cable method you are connecting to your amp via the Volume out and not the main out. Does that volume out have a buffer too?

Back