Ampeg VH140C present and past owners

My Ampeg VH140C began exhibited the common problem of volume cutting out. Research online has revealed it can be dirty input jacks, capacitors, cold solder etc.

Can any present and past owners state EXACTLY how they repaired theirs?

I would like a list of all conclusive repairs...not a troubleshooting guide.

There aren't any amp repair shops in my area, so I plan to take the amp to an electronics repair shop and tell them exactly what to check.

Thanks.

I cannot give you anything conclusive when I have not ever looking at it, and that is insane to ask. I have had a problem with mine, but I havent gotten around to fixing it. Until you clean the pots, jacks, and try the jumper in the loop and made a visual inspection of the solder joints I don't think that we can help you. Those are basic things that you look at first.

inhuman666":36js6a69 said:
...Can any present and past owners state EXACTLY how they repaired theirs?

I would like a list of all conclusive repairs...not a troubleshooting guide....

This is worded poorly or I'm reading it poorly.

Just take it to any electronics shop and ask them to clean the pots AMD Jack's and look for any cold solder joints. Those are easy things that any tech can do.

OP is just asking something that is not possible. You can't fix something without laying hands on it unless you troubleshoot.

Just take it in. Amplifiers are nothing so unique that a typical electronic tech can fix.

All I am asking is that if your Ampeg was repaired replacing a capacitor...just state that, if it was a pot...state that.

I am aware that there are many variables that can lead to problems.

But seeing that the Ampeg has a common issue of the volume cutting out, I would like to start with those.

I had three VH140Cs, two heads and a combo, and each one completely died on me one day. I sold em cheap rather than blow anything on fixing a $300 amp.

I had one. It sounded great but always cut out and I could never find what it was doing it. I finally just gave it away to a friend who thought he could fix it. Too bad.

inhuman666":312byx0e said:
All I am asking is that if your Ampeg was repaired replacing a capacitor...just state that, if it was a pot...state that.

But seeing that the Ampeg has a common issue of the volume cutting out, I would like to start with those.

That is insanity.

If you aren't willing to troubleshoot, you are wasting our time. These amps are known for having shit reliability. Unless you trace it down its likely not worth what you would pay to get it fixed.

Move on.

swamptrashstompboxes":3u6epd0e said:
inhuman666":3u6epd0e said:

That is insanity.

If you aren't willing to troubleshoot, you are wasting our time. These amps are known for having shit reliability. Unless you trace it down its likely not worth what you would pay to get it fixed.

Move on.

I have spent time troubleshooting and the issue is the loop jacks in the back. They never get used and end up flaky, so the answer is plug to a jumper cable across both the left and right side loops. Problem solved for me and everyone else, are you happy. The guy is asking for common issues and its resolution, why your so excited is beyond me.

petee":hw4xx1en said:
swamptrashstompboxes":hw4xx1en said:
inhuman666":hw4xx1en said:

That is insanity.

Move on.

I have spent time troubleshooting and the issue is the loop jacks in the back. They never get used and end up flaky, so the answer is plug to a jumper cable across both the left and right side loops. Problem solved for me and everyone else, are you happy. The guy is asking for common issues and its resolution, why your so excited is beyond me.

Ok...so it seems that the loop jacks at the back are the most common cause.

Thanks

Back