Any new Soldano Hot Rod 25 owners out there?

jlb32

I gigged mine last weekend and this amp is so amazing sounding to me. I keep GASSING for other amps but not sure why. Just the nature of being a gear whore I guess. :D

The Soldano Hot Rod 25 along with my Mesa Boogie Mark IV and '94 Trem-o-verb do everything I will ever need.

oh yeah , I have one , great amp. haven't gigged it but really enjoy it...the tone of the SLO without blowing your ears out, what more could ya want?

Rezamatix":1af2zio1 said:
155":1af2zio1 said:
oh yeah , I have one , great amp. haven't gigged it but really enjoy it...the tone of the SLO without blowing your ears out, what more could ya want?

Does it REALLY sound like a SLO?
imo yes 100 %..

155":1h3pg0sh said:

I agree. Baby SLO and sounds so great IMO. Love this amp.

I guess I`m the odd man out as I really didn`t like my HR25 at all. To my ears it just sounded really buzzy with flabby low end , using a TS type pedal really didn`t make it any better. Thru my 4x12 w/Scumback M/H 75s mixed my Splawn SS flat out smoked it to my ears . Maybe my ears just don`t care for the Soldano tone

Rezamatix":3lv8mp7b said:
155":3lv8mp7b said:

I have no idea if it sounds like an SLO, but my HR25 kicks some serious ass!! Great sounding amp :rock:

The best feature may be the fact that you can turn the master up to 6-7 and get the whole amp cooking, and your not going to go deaf from the volume. Worth checking out for sure!

Not sure if you still own an SLO Reza but if you do, and you pick up an HR25, I would really like to hear how close you think the 2 amps are. The general internet consensus seems to be that of all the Soldano HR series amps, the HR25 comes the closest to the SLO, but I've never seen or heard a direct A/B comparison.

You can get these pretty cheap too... I may have to get one but I bought a Jet City that sounds pretty freaking close. Should I even compare these?

When I was looking to buy mine I was able to A/B the Hot Rod 25 side by side with a SLO and a HR100. To my ears the HR25 and SLO were very close tonally. I would have a hard time telling them apart in a blind test. The HR 25 was just able to get that killer tone so much easier and to me actually sounded better overall, which is why I bought one. To me it has the SLO tone but slightly warmer. The HR100 sounded great also but just different.

To me it's just a great sounding amp, regardless of the SLO comparison. I've played and owned several Soldanos and if you like the Soldano tone the Hot Rod 25 is hard to beat IMO.

Rezamatix":3apxx5un said:
Im definitely interested but after talking to another person who owns one, he said they are not that close. SO I'm totally confused at this point.
:doh: :doh:

Haven't tried it myself, but my guess is that the HR25 might be EQ'd closer to the SLO (the HR50/100's are darker), but it doesn't have Deyoung transformers after all.

Rezamatix":oeyadg6g said:
fusedbrain":oeyadg6g said:
Rezamatix":oeyadg6g said:
155":oeyadg6g said:

I have no idea if it sounds like an SLO, but my HR25 kicks some serious ass!! Great sounding amp :rock:

The best feature may be the fact that you can turn the master up to 6-7 and get the whole amp cooking, and your not going to go deaf from the volume. Worth checking out for sure!

Not sure if you still own an SLO Reza but if you do, and you pick up an HR25, I would really like to hear how close you think the 2 amps are. The general internet consensus seems to be that of all the Soldano HR series amps, the HR25 comes the closest to the SLO, but I've never seen or heard a direct A/B comparison.

Im definitely interested but after talking to another person who owns one, he said they are not that close. SO I'm totally confused at this point.

Hey Rez....there is a hr25 for sale at guitar center used. Grab it and see if you like....45 days no questions asked return policy. Cant go wrong....great way to try gear at no risk. Just report back ur opinions of it if u grab one.

hammered":z60jwjtp said:
I guess I`m the odd man out as I really didn`t like my HR25 at all. To my ears it just sounded really buzzy with flabby low end , using a TS type pedal really didn`t make it any better. Thru my 4x12 w/Scumback M/H 75s mixed my Splawn SS flat out smoked it to my ears . Maybe my ears just don`t care for the Soldano tone

Exactly my findings!

hammered":2nkx7qjy said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I'm not going to criticize your perception. However, the HR25 or HR50 or SLO or even the Lucky 13 don't have anything near a "flubby low end." I wouldn't describe the tone as "buzzy" because to me Marshalls are a lot more buzzy than Soldanos, but there is a certain astringency in the tone. It's not harsh, but it's a top end (and only in the top end) has a little buzz and bite. That makes it really, really great for all kinds of rock and metal, but hard to get smooth sounds. Smoother tone can be had, but that's not what it excels at.

Rezamatix":2nkx7qjy said:
fusedbrain":2nkx7qjy said:
Rezamatix":2nkx7qjy said:
155":2nkx7qjy said:

Does it really matter? I mean, if it's a Soldano and it sounds badass, then who cares if it's not EXACTLY an SLO? I personally think it sounds just like an SLO but a bit more congested when cranked because it's so much easier to distort the tubes and go into compression. It has that x factor the SLO has, more so than the HR 50 & 100, but of course they're not going to be exactly the same. Mike Soldano told me he tests his amps with Eminence speakers, so maybe some speaker types aren't as friendly.

Looks like it would make a nice small 1x12 combo. I could see me making a combo out of it. Seems like it has some great cleans even with a LP. Might have to keep an eye out for one locally. :yes: :rock:

Rezamatix":3ecaaglk said:
Yes! I talked to the manager there in Alabama. He was a total dick about giving any discount on it. The total shipped cost was over $1800.

Unless it's been there more than 90 days they're not going to discount at all, unless you're doing a package buy or know a hookup at the store who can do manager approvals.

I demo'd one once and it didn't make an impression. Haven't had any desire to try another. On the other hand I always want to demo an SLO when I see one.

SavageRiffer":3spa9i3l said:
hammered":3spa9i3l said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I'm not going to criticize your perception. However, the HR25 or HR50 or SLO or even the Lucky 13 don't have anything near a "flubby low end." I wouldn't describe the tone as "buzzy" because to me Marshalls are a lot more buzzy than Soldanos, but there is a certain astringency in the tone. It's not harsh, but it's a top end (and only in the top end) has a little buzz and bite. That makes it really, really great for all kinds of rock and metal, but hard to get smooth sounds. Smoother tone can be had, but that's not what it excels at.

That`s just the way my ears heard it . It sounds unbelievable in some clips I`ve heard but with me I just couldn't jive with it and I really like some tope end bite . I guess my ears just prefer the Marshall type roar even though I`ve heard some stellar recorded tones come from a Soldano. Warren DeMartini comes to mind

for some reason they come biased really cold, mine was like 24ma, cranked t up to 32ma and bamm alot better pounding like a slo should...

What's the price on these? $1500+? Are they that much better than a used Avenger, which you can find for less any day?

Back