Any Steve Hackett fans?

Meathead

IMO he is one of the most underrated electric guitar players. He had violin tone in 1972. One of those guys when he plays just a few notes you know it's him right away.

I just picked up his new double live CD 'Live Rails' ....really great playing and tone, and the band is excellent. I think he's better than ever.
If you like old Genesis mixed with an Alan Parsons Project vibe, it's great.

been a SH fan for years and have every album that hes ever been on. Havent listened to him much lately but hes definitely unique and underrated...

Floyd Paul Bitches!!!

Gainzilla":ws3y5ndr said:
been a SH fan for years and have every album that hes ever been on. Havent listened to him much lately but hes definitely unique and underrated...

Floyd Paul Bitches!!!

Phenomenal player. His work on "Selling England by the Pound" (one of my favourite albums) by Genesis is nigh-on untouchable. So much feeling and control!

-C

spirit7":7nialwxa said:
Gainzilla":7nialwxa said:

Floyd Paul Bitches!!!

Phenomenal player. His work on "Selling England by the Pound" (one of my favourite albums) by Genesis is nigh-on untouchable. So much feeling and control!

-C
Absolutely Charles, Im a big fan of his work on Trick Of the Tail & Wind & Wuthering as well. I used to be a HUGE Genesis fan back in the day, couldnt get enough of them actually. Loved them through the self titles 1983 release and then left them cold because they went way too pop on me... The Hackett era was badass..

I'm gonna put on some Capezios and a Members Only jacket and rock out to some GTR.

rupe":3fguedzf said:
I'm gonna put on some Capezios and a Members Only jacket and rock out to some GTR.
Holy Crap bro, that album kicked ass!!! The songs were great but that singer MAx Bacon had an UNGODLY good voice!!!

rupe":2vq7yp48 said:

Now that's funny!...

Check out his song "tubehead" from "Out of the tunnels mouth". Pretty rockin' tune. (kinda like GTR...)

I actually liked the GTR record.

Gainzilla":17y3rlwr said:
rupe":17y3rlwr said:
Holy Crap bro, that album kicked ass!!! The songs were great but that singer MAx Bacon had an UNGODLY good voice!!!
Another kick ass album from this era that comes to mind (probably because I bought them at the same time) is HSAS - Through the Fire...it's like the red headed step child of '84.

I found one of his records the other day at the flea market and grabbed it. I can't believe he's not discussed more often is guitar circles. His playing is amazing, but some of his songs are really weird.

Yep. Being a mega old-school Genesis fan, it was easy for me to say I totally dig his music, playing and style.

Firth of Fifth goes through this mind of mine at least 4x per week. Brilliant stuff.

He's got a nice style...awesome vibrato, perfect touch, nice tone, wicked phrasing, and obvious neo-classical fused with jazz flair.

Mo :thumbsup:

This is off the new CD.
From 6:00 to 9:00 is just totally guitar bliss. One of the best guitar solos ever written.

Mr. Willy":nddwo250 said:
I found one of his records the other day at the flea market and grabbed it. I can't believe he's not discussed more often is guitar circles. His playing is amazing, but some of his songs are really weird.
Not so much `weird` as unconventional. We`re used to hearing a lot of crap. Something good comes along, it`s often dismissed as `weird`. Give it enough time though, and it truly shines :D

Valtyr":1vter29n said:
Love his work, he's the only member of Genesis still recording interesting music.
Gabriel has done a lot of cool stuff since Genesis...but ya, Hackett has really stayed the course and not gone after the money.
Phil is retired (partially deaf, back problems)...but I wonder if Hackett, Banks and Gabriel would do something? Would be awesome to hear.

Ventura":393nhvq7 said:
Mr. Willy":393nhvq7 said:
Not so much `weird` as unconventional. We`re used to hearing a lot of crap. Something good comes along, it`s often dismissed as `weird`. Give it enough time though, and it truly shines :D

Don't get me wrong, I like it. For instance, check out the disclaimer for the track "Please Don't Touch." Quote, "For maximum effect this track should be listened to as loudly as possible with as much treble and bass as your system can muster. Not to be played to people with heart conditions or those in severely hallucinogenic states of mind." :LOL: :LOL:

Randy Van Sykes":3cf52fqx said:
Valtyr":3cf52fqx said:
Love his work, he's the only member of Genesis still recording interesting music.
Gabriel has done a lot of cool stuff since Genesis...but ya, Hackett has really stayed the course and not gone after the money.
Phil is retired (partially deaf, back problems)...but I wonder if Hackett, Banks and Gabriel would do something? Would be awesome to hear.

From what I've read from Hackett over the years, he's not really interested in any reunions or collaborations. He finds the necessary compromises too limiting. He's truly "in it" to create the best possible music that he can for himself...if others like it great, if not, he's still content that he saw his vision through to completion.

Back