Anybody ever build a Marshall clone?

Need details on the dumbed down XTC. I have a 101B, but would love to do a blue channel in a 50w small box headshell…
It was built like a SLO, so the switching was like that. Two channels clean and dirty and the dirty channel had a boost. The channels were like a Bogner XTC. The dirty channel could be either Red or Blue. It started Red but it ended up Blue because it fit the band better.

Best way to learn is to dive right in. I just wonder if one of those Chinese kits would work with Mr. Tong’s boards? I just know nothing about this shit but would love to learn more.

Did build two TAD clone kits so far. My suggestion is, start with a kit. Less hassle and you have all the parts you need. There are step by step instructions by stew mac for their jtm45 build that include a safe fist fire-up, so you get a pretty good idea how to start.
Don`t hassle, take your time. Consider the building process as "fun".
That 150 watt kit they offered would be badass modded up. They don’t offer it anymore though.

If there are good instructions with clear diagrams, anyone who’s soldered in a pickup and didn’t kill the pot trying to get the ground on, can build a kit amp. That’s all I had done, when years ago, I built a Metro ‘69 100 watter. I just took my time, measured twice, cut once etc. It turned out really well. Metro had a fantastic step by step guide, which was key for me.

Does anyone sell a Cali or Wizard clone kit? I’ve had the itch to try my hand at a build for a while. The Rosamp SLO kits look cool.
Yes.. EvolveDIY does sell the boards and faceplates and you can get the rest from Nic at Ceriatone.. They have a partnership worked out. Nic can supply everything else:
https://evolvediy.com/

Chassis & Faceplates​

We have range of custom designed chassis's for builds with our PCB's.​

Contact for ordering - chassis are manufactured to order by Ceriatone, who can supply matching Headcabs too. All Headfirst Chassis designs are drilled for Alpha 24mm M8 thread/bushing pots, with the exception of the VH chassis which is set for Alpha 16mm pots with 7mm bushing. Chassis are ordered directly from Nik at nik@ceriatone.com by quoting the chassis # below.

Best way to learn is to dive right in. I just wonder if one of those Chinese kits would work with Mr. Tong’s boards? I just know nothing about this shit but would love to learn more.

This is a good place to start learning. There's a crap ton of good info in there. One of the most helpful parts to me is the "How to read tube amp schematics" section. I could already read schematics and follow the flow, but had no idea how it translated to the wiring layout. That's been helping me connect the two together.

https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm

@burger videos are really informative too. Stuff goes over my head but I'm starting to catch on a little and get the gist of what he's talking about.

Being that I'm not too far ahead of you on this amp building journey thing I know where you're coming from knowing jack shit about this stuff. I'm 100% in the copying fully established mods and circuits phase. I don't have any endeavors to go designing amps, but hope I can make it to the point of working on my own if/when needed.

From my limited experience (2 simple amps so far) I didn't find full instructions overly necessary. What I found the most essential to get through the build was a clear, well drawn wiring layout and a voltage chart that showed where to measure everything. Even though I don't fully know what the heck I'm doing I came out with two working amps that sound pretty good. You gotta start somewhere and sometimes learn on the go.

If you're looking for some decent kit options Mojotone and Modulus seem to be the most price friendly and have well drawn wiring layouts. Valvestorm/MetroAmps is more pricey, but have really good full build instructions

Honestly ...... I would build a couple of pedals before I dropped the coin on a amp build ..... you want " some " practice if you can get it ...

and a pedal won't fry your aorta shut if you make a mistake ....

get use to looking at schematics .... understand grounding .... difference between certain parts ... etc

with a decent diagram and schematic to follow ... a lot of it is really " paint by numbers " kind of stuff .....

but trust me ..... no matter how good the schematic or diagram ..... you're going to run into questions ...

Honestly ...... I would build a couple of pedals before I dropped the coin on a amp build ..... you want " some " practice if you can get it ...

and a pedal won't fry your aorta shut if you make a mistake ....

get use to looking at schematics .... understand grounding .... difference between certain parts ... etc

with a decent diagram and schematic to follow ... a lot of it is really " paint by numbers " kind of stuff .....

but trust me ..... no matter how good the schematic or diagram ..... you're going to run into questions ...
I know a dude…just saying….

You want me to put a kit together for you ?
Hatter had shown some interest in a kit also
If you’re down for it sometime in the future fuck yeah. I kinda want a modified one. Cali or satanic Hispanic. Just something that will be good for epic slut banging metulz!!!!

Are the Mojotone kits good? What are some if the better kit’s available? Anybody build or try one of the Rosamp SLO kits?
Yes I did a rosamp slo 50 right before his prices went up. I’ve used his transformers for a few Friedman clone. Including the clone of the original JEL not just the high gain stage. Rosamp is owned by “ in mad out” transformers.

And for a first time builder I would not recommend ceriatone. There wire is shit. And so are there transformers.

Back