anyone else prefer 2 2x12s instead of 1 4x12?

PaintChipsAreVegan

Banned
Should narrow the scope of this question to live sound outside of gigging. room sound, i guess

For a while, I have been running a 4x12 mesa recto OS cab w/ v30s

However, lately i've been trying the herbert, 5150, and engl in dual mono, one to a mesa 2x12 w/ v30s, the other to a diezel front loaded 2x12 with g12k100s

I must say, the sound in person blows away the 4x12. Mostly, because I can spread them out, and end up with a massive wall of sound, with nothing lacking in low end by any means. When properly laid out, the sound blends well despite 2 separate cabs housing 2 different speakers. All points in the room sound quite full of solid tone, with less perceivable directionality.

Kinda requires some toying around with spacing and setup of the cabs as they sit in your space, but man, I simply can't replicate the massive wall of sound im getting, out of a 4x12

was considering swapping 1 speaker out of each so each is 1x g12k 1x v30, but almost seems like its not worth the effort with current results.

curious if anyone else has run and/or prefers such a setup

2 semi open back cabs for me. Gave up on 412’s years ago except on big stages. Too directional and band members have a harder time hearing them.

2-12’s easier to carry.

Nope. I use two 4x12's sitting left and right of my amp. I don't move them anymore though. The only 2x12's that I have had were a Mesa and an Egnater Tourmaster. The Egnater was a killer cab!

...now try the same trick with two 4x12s. :)

In the Mesa world, the one time I might prefer a pair of 212s is with a 7 or 8 string because the 16 ohm drivers make the Mesa Recto 212s thinner sounding, and IMO they pair better with drop tunings where you need to remove a lot of the low end so the guitar stays crisp.

In the Mesa world, the one time I might prefer a pair of 212s is with a 7 or 8 string because the 16 ohm drivers make the Mesa Recto 212s thinner sounding, and IMO they pair better with drop tunings where you need to remove a lot of the low end so the guitar stays crisp.
Currently constrained on space, else I think that’ll be the plan when I have more room

I prefer 4x12s. At least one, sometimes two.

If i'm feeling squirrely with my only option as one cab, i will w/d with a stereo 4x12. I generally get better results with that as opposed to two 2x12s.

I like having the 2 cabs because I can use stereo effects with them for bigger sound at lower volume.

Sometimes I prefer my Bogner OS2x12 to my 4x12s. Doesn't sound as big or detailed, but is tighter with more mid punch. Keeps things from getting too unruly in my dining room.

Yeah, I think the main thing @PaintChipsAreVegan is noticing is the effect of having two well-placed cabs. Kevin O'Connor at London Power calls that sort of thing a "symmetric" setup, and claims that it'll have pretty much the effect OP noticed. I run my rig like that as well, for the same reasons. @PaintChipsAreVegan, if you can, try adding a third cab on the floor pointed up at your face. I'm using an old PA wedge for that (rewired for guitar) and woah, does it make a difference. The two split cabs trick you're doing sounds superb by itself (even more so with bigger cabs), but adding a good sounding wedge cab takes it to another level. Think swimming in sound. If you're playing in a band with two guitarists, it also makes your personal stage mix more you-centric. Otherwise, it can be a little difficult to distinguish whether you're hearing yourself or the other dude play if you both have a symmetric setup and can now hear each guitar equally well everywhere on stage. The wedge cab fixes that so you can be in a sea of your sound while the other guitarist is in a sea of his sound, and the audience gets an even balance of the both of yous. I find it brings volumes down too because while you're standing in the sweet spot you're convinced you're too loud until you step out of that area realize you're actually quieter than you think. Might need an impedance matcher though if you want to hook three equal impedance cabs up to your amp.

Last edited:
I've been running a pair of PPC 2x12's with my badlander head for about 6 months now and love it. I don't know that it's necessarily better than a 4x12, but I'd say it's equally good, at least for what I'm doing.

I'm playing a 7 string in drop A. There's not a substantial drop in low end compared to most 4x12's but maybe a slight improvement in clarity. I also like that I could gig with this setup in my sedan, and not have to drive my gas guzzler truck.

Back