Anyone ever shim a bolt-on guitar neck?

shredhead666

I bought this fun strat from a local used shop because... well basically because it looked like a beat up nicely worn pair of blue jeans and had a great MIM maple Fender neck. The thing is, the strings action is just slightly too high for my tastes. The truss rod doesn't want to tighten much further than it is (neck is perfect anyway), and the bridge saddles are about as low as they'll go. I'm thinking of popping in a shim behind the neck. Anyone do this with much luck? What'd you use, guitar picks?

Here's a picture. ;)

isCvt.jpg

shredhead666":3l58uo90 said:
Here's a picture. ;)

isCvt.jpg
I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think that you would want to shim it more on the headstock side so it doesn't buzz or fret-out at the first fret. Maybe use light picks for shims on the body side and medium or heavy on the headstock side?

Beyond Black":29i7qgfn said:
shredhead666":29i7qgfn said:
Here's a picture. ;)

isCvt.jpg
I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think that you would want to shim it more on the headstock side so it doesn't buzz or fret-out at the first fret. Maybe use light picks for shims on the body side and medium or heavy on the headstock side?

Hmm.. I was thinking the opposite since I'm trying to make the neck angle back more. :confused:

locoed":2k8wwv3o said:
I have,however i'm a tool maker,so getting thin pieces of steel is easy,and it worked out great.
I wouldn't use a guitar pick,this company has every shim one can imagine.
http://www.dougstampco.com/

Do you think I could get metal shims at the local Lowes/Home Depot? Cutting to fit wouldn't be an issue, just need to figure out how thick I need it.

shredhead666":oc0tmx43 said:
locoed":oc0tmx43 said:
I have,however i'm a tool maker,so getting thin pieces of steel is easy,and it worked out great.

Do you think I could get metal shims at the local Lowes/Home Depot? Cutting to fit wouldn't be an issue, just need to figure out how thick I need it.

Also, it's a 4- bolt neck, what about washers on either the upper or lower two of the bolts between body and neck? Good idea/bad idea?

shredhead666":2hdqjrsq said:
shredhead666":2hdqjrsq said:
locoed":2hdqjrsq said:

Also, it's a 4- bolt neck, what about washers on either the upper or lower two of the bolts between body and neck? Good idea/bad idea?

A sheet of brass cut to fit in the pocket would probably be best. A guitar pick will work. If you used washers it would probably work but you would need some slim ones.

Cool looking guitar, what kind of body?

I've done it lots just using a pick. I usually cut just the tip off, I like a bit of neck angle. Always had the best intentions of going back and putting something better in, but the guitars always sounded the same after doing it, so I never bothered.

if u use metal shims that arent precut,be careful ,they will be very sharp.use a hammer and lightly tap or rub with some pressure the cut sides to flatten out the small ridge created when using tin snips.

My luthier makes these maple shims that cover the entire base that work great, I used this when i converted my 3-bolt early 70's necks to 4-bolt.

I trimmed a business card for one of mine...worked fine.

I would guess wood or metal might be better, but I bought a Strat once that had a cardboard shim from the factory so I just copied that.

jski59":1o7a87x9 said:

I would guess wood or metal might be better, but I bought a Strat once that had a cardboard shim from the factory so I just copied that.

+1

I've done this too. Works like a charm, and is free.

theveneerstore.com

You can get 8.5x11 sheets of Maple veneer, that is about 1/40th of an inch thick.

Trim it with an xacto blade.

I made a piece for my tele, that is basically a 1/2" wide x width of the neck pocket. corners rounded off to fit snug into the rear of the pocket.

Bolt everthing back up, works like a charm. Zero sustain loss. Zero tone loss.

Metal can be dangerous if the wood is too soft, because it will cut right into the body wood.

mboogman":1txenyqs said:
jski59":1txenyqs said:

+1

I've done this too. Works like a charm, and is free.

I've done similar with a cigarette pack, worked fine.

Paper/business card here. I'm too cheap to go out and buy something special for a neck shim.

shredhead666":2k78ept7 said:
Beyond Black":2k78ept7 said:
shredhead666":2k78ept7 said:
Here's a picture. ;)

isCvt.jpg

Hmm.. I was thinking the opposite since I'm trying to make the neck angle back more. :confused:
:doh: :doh: :doh: That's what I meant. Just said it backwards. :LOL: :LOL:

Back