Anyone have a BE Deluxe modded to make it meaner?

To test all you need is one alligator clip. Clip one side to the treble pot wiper and the other side to the input lug of the master volume pot. It’ll bypass the resistor and you’ll hear how it sounds without it.

To make the change requires soldering.
Will one of these work?

https://www.amazon.com/cart/smart-w...7672-443a-899f-999367c188f4,1&ref_=sw_refresh

I like the idea of test before removal. Honestly for me it's just shifting the mids to upper from low mid voicing

That’s great. Glad to hear it worked out.

That resistor makes a big difference. Was it 220k or 470k?
It’s a 220k. And the volume about doubled on the BE channel but had no affect on the HBE using the jumper

Last edited:
It’s a 220k. And the volume about doubled on the BE channel but had no affect on the HBE using the jumper
BE and HBE should be equally affected. All signal from the preamp runs to the MV.

I’ve bypassed the resistor before and volume increased. But not by double.

I know he uses 470k too. There’s probably both out there.

Last edited:
Are you calling the alligator clip to by pass the resistor the 'Jumper' ?
Sorry nob to all this

So if the BE volume doubles that's not gonna work. What did you do differently that @Nitrobattery did not because it seemed to work for him?

Are you calling the alligator clip to by pass the resistor the 'Jumper' ?
Sorry nob to all this

So if the BE volume doubles that's not gonna work. What did you do differently that @Nitrobattery did not because it seemed to work for him?
Yeah sorry, alligator clip/ jumper same thing. The only thing different I did was use the jumper instead of removing the resistor. The tone gets brighter on both channels but there’s definitely a volume difference between the two

Yeah sorry, alligator clip/ jumper same thing. The only thing different I did was use the jumper instead of removing the resistor. The tone gets brighter on both channels but there’s definitely a volume difference between the two

Interesting. No volume difference on mine between BE and HBE after removing the resister and replacing it with a wire.

UPDATE from Dave F. he said in an e-mail about the removal of the resistor and wire replacement only mod - "this loads the master volumes and the eq' Additionally he said 'we can play with this more when I get back'. I got the green light to go to LA and test the tweaks with Dave!!
Could be an epic experience and as mentioned in this thread hopefully it is becoming clear to Dave we all want a meaner more raw BE!

Guessing there will be a new switch sometime soon called wait for it ,.... "RAW" :geek:

UPDATE from Dave F. he said in an e-mail about the removal of the resistor and wire replacement only mod - "this loads the master volumes and the eq' Additionally he said 'we can play with this more when I get back'. I got the green light to go to LA and test the tweaks with Dave!!
Could be an epic experience and as mentioned in this thread hopefully it is becoming clear to Dave we all want a meaner more raw BE!

Guessing there will be a new switch sometime soon called wait for it ,.... "RAW" :geek:

Exactly what I had envisioned a few pages back, for sure he will do a RAW switch. It's a no brainer and will probably increase demand. Too many of us with the same complaint. Now I think his amps probably record well for a lot of people but for me it has to sound right for me to play the way i want to.

Dave's a good guy. He definitely has a certain taste regarding a Marshall-esque high-gain sound with a boutique "polished" character that works very well for some. That said, he would be very well served (in my opinion) to put forth a 2 or 3 channel head that is tighter, more aggressive and a bit "meaner" sounding overall to compete in that space with the Bogner Uber Ultra, Wizard Hell Razor and Headfirst Alta type flavors. "Friedman BE Metal Deluxe"

There you go.......If the man is willing you should take him up on his offer to tweak it to you liking.....

Dave's a good guy. He definitely has a certain taste regarding a Marshall-esque high-gain sound with a boutique "polished" character that works very well for some. That said, he would be very well served (in my opinion) to put forth a 2 or 3 channel head that is tighter, more aggressive and a bit "meaner" sounding overall to compete in that space with the Bogner Uber Ultra, Wizard Hell Razor and Headfirst Alta type flavors. "Friedman BE Metal Deluxe"

He'd have to give it another silly name though.. so maybe the Friedman DP ( donkey punch - double penetr____-) ..you guys know what I'm saying. Oh, and your welcome Dave, we just gave you a whole new next model you can price at 4k with 3 parts on a switch :D .

I think Dave wants people to be happy with his products so he seems to listen to his customers and at least makes an attempt....you can't fault the guy for that.......:no::thumbsup:

Back