Anyone here also played a Diezel? Looking for another amp to blend with my VHX…

Howdy!

So I own a Diezel VHX, it’s an awesome amp but I’m a big fan of stereo rigs and the VHX is a pretty stiff amp. The lead tone is great, but it lacks some of that delightful “slinky” “spongey” feel you find in some amps. It’s also pretty damn dark.

So I’ve been thinking about getting another amp to compliment it. I’m not sure what would be the best fit for it, and there’s not really a great store to test out amps anywhere nearby. But I did hear a demo of the ecstasy with the pandora and it sounded sick, which is why I’m posting here. From what I’ve read also, Bogner does the modded Marshall sound really well and I know Marshall’s are popular to blend with Diezel’s.

If anybody here has played a Diezel and a Bogner together, can you comment on what you thought? I’m looking for an amp that’s distinct but complementary. I’m not familiar with Bogner outside that one YouTube demo, so I’m not set on the Ecstasy. Just doing research right now, and looking for suggestions. Honestly doesn’t have to be Bogner but I posted on this forum for a reason.

If this helps, I mainly make psychedelic space metal with electronica elements? Extra pretentious stoner rock? Adam Jones is a big influence but I don’t want to sound like a complete clone of the man.

Diezel and Bogner together is great , I use to run my diezels with a Bogner rev blue . I loved it . Big I will add is diezels with wizards is my fav .

I have blended a few Bogners with my VHX and Herbert mk3: Shiva 20th, Helios 100 and a '96 Ecstasy. With Diezels, I like to blend an amp that is tight, bright and has some give, as I agree that the VHX is a "stiff" feeling amp overall.

Of the Bogners: Helios 100 was my favorite to blend with the VHX when I had it. It has a great bounce/feel, but also keeps alot of Marshall rawness and juice in the upper mids.

That said, I have an EL34 Uber Ultra that came in that I am betting could pair nice with the Diezel stuff as you can tweak it to be as bright and tight as you want.

My current favorite amp to pair with my Diezels....when I decide to do the biamp thing...is my Wizard W800 100w. That beast has so much kerrang, it helps the pair cut like a knife, while also sounding massive! It is also tighter and punchier than the Diezels....and has a better feel/bounce than my Bogner, if you can believe it!

BTW I reckon my Bogner can actually get me closer to the older Tool sound (and a lovely Jerry Cantrell kinda sound). If I'm live mono it's normally just the Diezel though for me. But I reckon Adam Jones live 2 Diezel VH4s (one an old Blueface) + Vintage Marshall bass head is a similar enough vibe in my head to a Bogner + one Diezel together. I'm waiting for a gig with enough excuse to take both. :)

BTW I reckon my Bogner can actually get me closer to the older Tool sound (and a lovely Jerry Cantrell kinda sound). If I'm live mono it's normally just the Diezel though for me. But I reckon Adam Jones live 2 Diezel VH4s (one an old Blueface) + Vintage Marshall bass head is a similar enough vibe in my head to a Bogner + one Diezel together. I'm waiting for a gig with enough excuse to take both. :)

Also have an Ecstasy 20th. Does all those tones in spades! Haven't tried mine in a stereo rig yet, but it seems a great candidate to complement other amps in such a rig.

I have a Diezel Herbert Mk3, Diezel VH4, Bogner Uber Ultra (EL34) and Bogner Ecstasy 101b. If you want pure metal for blending than Uber Ultra, but I would personally choose the Bogner Ecstasy 101b to blend. The Ecstasy has very thick low mids and can do high gain metal as well.

Here is a video of me blending my VH4 and Bogner Uber Ultra

Comparing the Herbert, Uber ultra, and Ecstasy

Mr Woodchuck, do you feel the UU and ecstasy are different enough to own both?
They are absolutely different enough to own both. UU is a metal monster that can dabble in more rock oriented stuff. The Ecstasy is a rock monster that can dabble in the harder stuff. The Ecstasy is always going to sound a feel a bit more vintage, whereas the UU is very modern right out of the gate.

I have a Diezel Herbert Mk3, Diezel VH4, Bogner Uber Ultra (EL34) and Bogner Ecstasy 101b. If you want pure metal for blending than Uber Ultra, but I would personally choose the Bogner Ecstasy 101b to blend. The Ecstasy has very thick low mids and can do high gain metal as well.

Here is a video of me blending my VH4 and Bogner Uber Ultra

Comparing the Herbert, Uber ultra, and Ecstasy

Ha! I didn't know you were on here (makes sense tbh). Yeah I actually commented on one of your videos asking you to do a comparison test if you had it. I think you were waiting on a head at the time.

Back