Anyone try the new Barettas/Pacers or EVH guitars?

Kapo_Polenton

In the 200-1000$ ranger, Kramer gets some really good reviews for the Baretta and Pacer models in terms of the finish and shredability. So that's in the 200-500$ range. Some people swap out the Pot and Trem on the Baretta specials and they are happy for the price. Anyone played the EVH branded stuff? The standard or specials which I think are MIM. I'd like something with a hockey stick headstock... I'm Canadian after all... (EH) Wonder if the added $ for the MIM is worth it. Seems to me you get a cool kill switch with the EVH stuff and some wolfgang alnico 2 humbuckers. Playability wise, both get good reviews. Who's got some time in on these?

I just got the Kramer 84. I really like it. I'm just a shorter scale guy though. Fit and finish are great. The jb is coil tapped and actually sounds decent. I'm not a jb fan though. Floyd is dive only. I really like it. Very nice fiddle imo.....If I find a pacer cheap I will grab it as well.

edit-when I get my charvel desolation project finished, I will replace the jb with one of Scottosan's wicked 8's or whatever he thinks will work in it. Honestly the jb is surprisingly ....ok....does that make sense? lol

I just got the Kramer 84. I really like it. I'm just a shorter scale guy though. Fit and finish are great. The jb is coil tapped and actually sounds decent. I'm not a jb fan though. Floyd is dive only. I really like it. Very nice fiddle imo.....If I find a pacer cheap I will grab it as well.

edit-when I get my charvel desolation project finished, I will replace the jb with one of Scottosan's wicked 8's or whatever he thinks will work in it. Honestly the jb is surprisingly ....ok....does that make sense? lol

Yes makes sense! I like the look of the 84 but had read some reviews that said at the price they were, the routing for the neck pocket and some other parts wasn't the most precise so good to know that wasn't your experience. As for the JB, I love that pup! So for me that's totally fine if it came stock. Can always throw an A2 magnet in it and it becomes a monster.

Evh owner, great pickups, fret finish is decent Having had a few wolfgangs with sharp frets. Neck shape is what I would call rounder than a wolf but doesn’t feel as wide as a San dimas. I am a smaller guy and the body is really comfortable. The trem needs work, the fine tuners are sharp edged (cut my hand playing it) and they aren’t really smooth Turning. Solid guitar for 900.

Kramer Baretta Specials are ridiculously good for the money, in my experience. Good bones, even if the tuners, trem and pickup aren't great.

Yep I bought a Baretta Special to jam on when my work sent me back to Oregon. I was shocked. For $179.99 (No tax in OR) it is really a pretty good guitar. I think best value I’ve had. I got the crazy purple one. I liked it so much I bought a black one. I’m gonna hang the purple on the wall cuz the color is wild. On my black one I changed the trem to one I got from Guitar Fetish with large brass block, changed the tuners to Grover’s, installed a tusq nut and clipped the cap on the volume pot and it is a really good guitar. The original pickup really sounds good. For that price they can’t be beat.

Yep I bought a Baretta Special to jam on when my work sent me back to Oregon. I was shocked. For $179.99 (No tax in OR) it is really a pretty good guitar. I think best value I’ve had. I got the crazy purple one. I liked it so much I bought a black one. I’m gonna hang the purple on the wall cuz the color is wild. On my black one I changed the trem to one I got from Guitar Fetish with large brass block, changed the tuners to Grover’s, installed a tusq nut and clipped the cap on the volume pot and it is a really good guitar. The original pickup really sounds good. For that price they can’t be beat.

How are the frets on the model you got? It really is a good deal considering it only needs 100$ more into it to make it a player. I was also eyeing the purple one. It is cheaper than a lot of pedals!

Frets are good on both mine. As in no fret sprout, fairly level. You can tell they are cheaper metal. I polished them up with 1000 grit sand paper and then a round of gorgomyte. Not big jumbo frets. More towards vintage style but makes for very low action setup.

Guitar is fairly lightweight. Says it is mahogany body but I’m not so sure since both are light. Very comfy to play. The pickup really surprised me.

Like I mentioned I bought the first one to jam in Oregon. I hooked up with my former jam buddies there and we were joking that I still sound like me even through someone else’s rig with a $200 guitar. We record all our jams and the pickup really sounded good.

Back