Anyone use a talk box?

again with this

I have a Dunlop I picked up a while back. Is there a way to run it without putting it in line with the speaker cable? I don't want to lose a cabinet when I turn it on.

Copperhead":u1y22lm3 said:
A/B-Y to a dedicated amp. Added benefit is that you can dial it in for the best tone.

I was hoping to avoid that. How about just plugging into one of the speaker outs from my power amp? But then, wouldn't I need a load on the cabinet side of the talk box?

I have the Heil and have used it several ways through experimentation and such you eventually find the right setup for you. It has taken me close to 3 or 4 years of trying various things to make it work well and get the setup so its not such a hassle.

1) Guitar > Amp > HEIL > cabinet - This scenario is best if you only have one amp obviously. I didnt like it when I ran it with my Marshall Combo. In order to get the volume through the Talkbox loud enough to be used, I had to crank the amp, but then when the talkbox was off, it was insane stage volume...so that was a no win. Also that will give you just straight amp or talkbox

2) Guitar > A/B -A) Amp > Cabinet, B) 2nd amp > Heil Talkbox - This is the setup I have been using the most. That way I dont have to worry about my original sound mixing with the talkbox and diminishing the effectiveness of the effect. I'm sure you can mix the two, but the soundguys we have had when I've wanted to use it, barely seemed to know how a mixing board worked. Much less blend two guitar sounds and such. I would just simply leave the talkbox on the whole time, and when needed I would switch from A to B. If you sing, a separate vocal mic is usually good too.

again with this":3dnvvm2r said:
Copperhead":3dnvvm2r said:
A/B-Y to a dedicated amp. Added benefit is that you can dial it in for the best tone.

I was hoping to avoid that. How about just plugging into one of the speaker outs from my power amp? But then, wouldn't I need a load on the cabinet side of the talk box?

Not if you leave it on. Otherwise, yes, a Hotplate or second cab would be needed.

I get good talkbox sound from just a little Peavey StudioPro 112 combo.

The_Kid":18nc42n2 said:
1) Guitar > Amp > HEIL > cabinet - This scenario is best if you only have one amp obviously. I didnt like it when I ran it with my Marshall Combo. In order to get the volume through the Talkbox loud enough to be used, I had to crank the amp, but then when the talkbox was off, it was insane stage volume...so that was a no win. Also that will give you just straight amp or talkbox

2) Guitar > A/B -A) Amp > Cabinet, B) 2nd amp > Heil Talkbox - This is the setup I have been using the most. That way I dont have to worry about my original sound mixing with the talkbox and diminishing the effectiveness of the effect. I'm sure you can mix the two, but the soundguys we have had when I've wanted to use it, barely seemed to know how a mixing board worked. Much less blend two guitar sounds and such. I would just simply leave the talkbox on the whole time, and when needed I would switch from A to B. If you sing, a separate vocal mic is usually good too.
Right now I use method 1 that you described. I want to get something small/cheap like a Tiny Terror so that I can use it like method 2 and dedicate the tone controls of the TT for the Talk Box. Right now I have to use the neck pickup and dial my volume and tone way down as to not blow anyone's ears out with sheer trebly horror.

I was using the Rocktron Banshee and its a great sounding talkbox and you put inline with your regular floor FX. The New Banshee 2 lets you run your amp at the same time so that you get a blend of talk box with amp( Talkbox through the PA and regular amp tone through the cab). It also has an FX loops so that you can add other pedals like Phaser, Vibe or whatever so that you can get some very cool new and unique sounds. Check it out

Kage

Back