Anyone use the "studio" setup with their Torp Studio?

CCT

Hey guys,

Do those of you with the Studio use this method of running your time based effects, ie as described in the TS manual as the "studio" setup?

I'm interested in your experiences and thoughts of routing this way as opposed to running through the amps FX loop.

Thanks as always :yes:

Craig

Hi Craig, I'm the one who wrote the user's manual so I will try not to copy and paste it again, as you must have read it already. ;)

As a sound engineer/guitarist, I prefer the put the effects as auxiliary on a mixer, insert on a daw track, on in the case of the Torpedo Studio, after the unit. Which is pretty much the same as the other more traditional options.

Running the effects in the loop is just something you do when you need to have the effects on your guitar cabinet, OR if you prefer the sound that way. ;) It will kill the stereo but again, that's a matter of taste, or if you find it more "real life".

guillaume_pille":1wxktoo7 said:
Hi Craig, I'm the one who wrote the user's manual so I will try not to copy and paste it again, as you must have read it already. ;)

As a sound engineer/guitarist, I prefer the put the effects as auxiliary on a mixer, insert on a daw track, on in the case of the Torpedo Studio, after the unit. Which is pretty much the same as the other more traditional options.

Running the effects in the loop is just something you do when you need to have the effects on your guitar cabinet, OR if you prefer the sound that way. ;) It will kill the stereo but again, that's a matter of taste, or if you find it more "real life".

Hey Guillaume,

Understood, thanks :thumbsup: :rock:

I believe I've been "routing" effects essentially as you've said in your first example, ie using a track in the DAW as and "effects" Aux and either monitoring the "wet" sound when I'm tracking or using it as an effects aux for mixing. I hope I'm using the correct terminology here?

I've been doing it that way as to not "print" any effects on the guitar tracks. Understanding that it's subjective, do you tend to print dry guitar or do you find that it's beneficial in some cases to record guitar tracks with certain effects using the "studio" setup with the Torp Studio?

Craig

In today's context of nearly ilimited track counts in DAW software (as opposed to say a 24 track analog machine), recording dry and effects to separate tracks is a good flexible way to work. Even if you intend to comp takes, many DAWS allow you to group tracks for selecting segments to create a composite track.

That being said, more tracks are always more work. For example, if you are sending the tracks to another party for mixing although they actually may be happier to have this flexibility. Another effect issue that music be managed is if you are creating composites, the effect spillover must correspond to the edit. This can be hard to manage with printed effects.....lots of reasons to reamp the effects once all the edits are done.....unless your solo is one take like "Stairway to Heaven" :) :)

Another bonus of working with effects post recording is that if you have a multi effect box, certain algorithms have deeper dsp with less other simultaneous processes so as an example, if you record the delays first and then run the reverb on a second pass, you can get a better reverb quality. Same applies for plug in on certain computer setups. You can also use a plug in reverb set to early reflections feeding an outboard reverb to vastly improve the complexity of your process. I'd recommend some of the recording sites for tips on getting extra performance from f/x

Thanks sysex for your input, examples and suggestions...much appreciated :thumbsup:

Dealing with fx post recording had generally been my experience from doing session work etc as well as seeming to be the most logical way to record simply because one is not committing to any particular effect(s). Having said that, I am wondering if "printing" say a specific chorus effect that I use as a part of my basic sound would be the way to go?

The main reason I started to question printing fx vs recording dry was that I was seeing cases where some gtr players(that had good sounding recordings) were recording with their fx.

Ok...would it be "better" to connect/use the external FX processor the "studio" way with the Torp Studio, or to connect/use that same FX processor to my audio interface?

There really isn't a "better", each method has drawbacks and advantages. The trick is to ascertain which way will work best for your application.

Printing effects also has advantages which are worth noting.....not need to repeat the advantages of adding them later as it is already above.

Printing effects:

-dsp is then available for other task once the track is recorded
-the effects add to the feel of the track as it is being recorded which may be confortable and/or inspiring to the artist tracking
-the effects also influence the feel while recording subsequent tracks
-certain effects can be "performed"....for example turning up the feedback and changing delay times

Good points, thanks again. I definitely need the "feel" when I track so I've been monitoring the effects and not printing as I've been concerned about printing effects that I may not want as much of etc as the track takes shape. Ahhhhh...too many options LOL

Would you mind elaborating the pros and cons of using the Torp "studio" method vs the interface method regarding said effects?

Thanks Andy,

Craig

Andy, Guillaume...any more thoughts? Your suggestions and guidance has been and is very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig, I'm really not sure what you're looking for. Here's the deal, both ways are perfectly technically correct and in fact you can get great results using both at the same time (if you have enough processors) so it is really down to sonics and workflow. These are personal choices and part of your artistic statement or at least, a road that gets you towards your artistic destination. I'd encourage you to try both ways, listen and interact and make some decisions based on your experiences. I'd also recommend checking out some online resources about studio effect placement such as soundonsound.com and others. Read up about vocal effects, drum effects, mixing effects, it's really all the same family.

I would also note the 2 things to watch for that may degrade the results:

1) If you are running multiple digital processors in series, the aggregate of digital conversions will induce both latency and sound degradation. This is why most pros have loop switchers for their pedalboards.

2) If you use effects in parallel, always set the individual effects mix to 100% wet so you don't combine dry signals with different digital conversion latencies and hence phase cancellations.

I realize that I was pretty nebulous :yes: :doh: :LOL: :LOL: Sorry about that.

Regardless, your info and suggestions were good as it helps clarify. Actually, I had run across Sound on Sound a couple of days ago when searching for answers on something else. I will definitely start looking for info there per your suggestion.

Basically I'm trying to increase my learning/understanding of how to get the results I want and as quickly as possible. Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

Craig

My best advice at that point would be you plug everything one way and the other, play, and figure out what works for you.

You can't break anything, so just have fun :rock:

Back