Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

This is a great sevice James. I appreciate your time an effort even though I'm sure this would be a fun gig.
I'm just looking for a bridge pick up for my '06 LP Standard Plus and this shootout come along. Great timing for me.
WCR Godwood is almost perfect. I'm thinking more modern so 2nd degree, WB Fire, WCR Darkburst..? So many good.

Anyone using the 2nd degree black belt have any unwanted feedback on higher gain applications since it's unpotted according to the MC website.

mesanatic":es2k7lrm said:
This is a great sevice James. I appreciate your time an effort even though I'm sure this would be a fun gig.
I'm just looking for a bridge pick up for my '06 LP Standard Plus and this shootout come along. Great timing for me.
WCR Godwood is almost perfect. I'm thinking more modern so 2nd degree, WB Fire, WCR Darkburst..? So many good.

Anyone using the 2nd degree black belt have any unwanted feedback on higher gain applications since it's unpotted according to the MC website.
I'll let you know when mine arrive :D :thumbsup:

I'm so torn between the WB Fire and MCP 2nd degree blackbelt :doh: . The more I listen to the clips, the more I think I like the Fire a tad more. It seems to be a bit tighter then the 2nd degree BB. Both pickups sound killer though!

AmpliFIRE":106fe2wn said:
I'm so torn between the WB Fire and MCP 2nd degree blackbelt :doh: . The more I listen to the clips, the more I think I like the Fire a tad more. It seems to be a bit tighter then the 2nd degree BB. Both pickups sound killer though!

Lucky for me I have one in each guitar so I didn't have to decide. Tough call, both are amazing sounding and feeling pickups, yet sound very different. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

J

James Lugo":1vugz2sk said:
AmpliFIRE":1vugz2sk said:

Lucky for me I have one in each guitar so I didn't have to decide. Tough call, both are amazing sounding and feeling pickups, yet sound very different. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

J

The WB is wax potted and the 2nd degree BB isn't, correct? My Marshallhead is not potted and it can get noisy at high volumes with a good amount of gain...

AmpliFIRE":a3yzc0ku said:
James Lugo":a3yzc0ku said:
AmpliFIRE":a3yzc0ku said:

J

The WB is wax potted and the 2nd degree BB isn't, correct? My Marshallhead is not potted and it can get noisy at high volumes with a good amount of gain...

I'm not sure.

I'm getting mine unpotted, but Wade will pot it for you no problem. He said it really breathes unpotted, so I figured I'd give it a shot. He said he could pot it for me if I was having feedback issues. He said they may ship out today!! :rock: :rock: :thumbsup

RACKSYSTEMS":19s7okxs said:
2ND DEGREE is potted no feed back here even at very high gain and loud.

Thanks Dave! I think I might tell him to lightly pot mine :yes:

Looks like I'll be placing my order tomorrow! :rock:

RACKSYSTEMS":22423b4p said:
2ND DEGREE is potted no feed back here even at very high gain and loud.

Thanks. Yeah, I had read his site and it was the regular Black Belt I read about. The 2nd degree isn't even on the site.
Wade just emailed me back and cleared that up.

Also the 2nd degree pickup in the shootout had a cover according to Wade. Correct me if that's wrong.

I had asked because I didn't want to chance ordering with a cover and having it sound different, even though he compensates in the winding for the cover.

bmf5150":1hat0loq said:

You have so many pickups that I can't decide between. The SD '78, 2nd degree, and Custom 5(not sure you have/had this).

I'm looking for the best articulation without spikey highs(JB) and smoother less harsh/stiff/cold maybe than my Gibson 57 plus. I like the 57+ better than my BB pro or BB 3. It's clearer and I like hearing the seperate notes in a chord.
Does the 2nd degree get me there or is the SD '78 custom shop better. IYO.

AmpliFIRE":h5y49a82 said:

I'm with you there, but add the WCR Godwood to the mix. I'm so confused. That Godwood is so clear but I think I'm going to get something less vintage and a little warmer.
Maybe the 2nd degree is a good middle ground between the Fire and Godwood.

Holy Hell!! Charles Manson eating fruitloops on my front porch and now this!!! This is a super nice clip take here boys- I highly recommend getting the cd also. This is the exact way I tune MCP pickups for very fast comparison between one another. I often get asked "Why does it take so long to develope a new pickup?". Truth be told, placing a mic, trying different amps, speakers etc is a really professional job if you want great results- I usually just mark everything and not touch a damn thing- I still can't lay out a mic perfect.LOL( I swear this is an Art).. I short, get the cd. Its Golden!!
Mr. James Logo- Thanks a bunch for taking your time with everything and doing it right : ) Staff and backline also- Cheers. Hatz off to ya for having a nice clean studio also " A Clean Man cave"...I really like your studio. As I heard it, James got married also- Enjoy every minute of the bliss.....
Back to making little Asskickers....

Wade- MCP

I would like to hear an opinion on the JB compared to the boutiques. I have tried an Afwayu and BBQ in my EC-1000 and I prefer the JB. I wish I could find a pup "similar" to the JB but with less "cocked wah" qualities. I do love the way the JB crunches up on the high mids with my Shiva.

troublehead":33dtnf5k said:
I would like to hear an opinion on the JB compared to the boutiques. I have tried an Afwayu and BBQ in my EC-1000 and I prefer the JB. I wish I could find a pup "similar" to the JB but with less "cocked wah" qualities. I do love the way the JB crunches up on the high mids with my Shiva.

You should listen to the clips, there's an Afwayu, BBQ and a JB. You can hear them against all the other pickups.
https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

James Lugo":3dgick0c said:
troublehead":3dgick0c said:

You should listen to the clips, there's an Afwayu, BBQ and a JB. You can hear them against all the other pickups.
https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

I have :D I was just wondering if you might express an opinion of how it stood up to the competition "in the room" ?

The JB is a pretty hot pup which maybe what you like about the upper mid breakup. I really like the WB Fire and the Rebel Yell for the same reason, check those 2 clips out. I remember liking the JB for it's feel but the sound was a little as you said 'cocked wah' which I didn't really like. I think the Fire and RY were more balanced and full. Check'em out.

James Lugo":1rl1qrg6 said:
The JB is a pretty hot pup which maybe what you like about the upper mid breakup. I really like the WB Fire and the Rebel Yell for the same reason, check those 2 clips out. I remember liking the JB for it's feel but the sound was a little as you said 'cocked wah' which I didn't really like. I think the Fire and RY were more balanced and full. Check'em out.

How does the 2nd degree feel? The single note lead lines seemed to flow in the samples without that struggling hesitation some others seem to have. Does it play that easily?
I guess I'll find out when I get mine, but you're able to compare it directly to so many other great pups, in one sitting no less.

RACKSYSTEMS":1pe6o4aa said:
It feels great, notes fall off the fret board

Thanks dude. That's how it sounds on the clips. And I need all the help I can get when I play, so I can't wait to get mine.
Now where'd you come up with the name Hairy Brown Eye? Never mind I don't know if I want to know.

Back