Asian bands that kick ass

@scottosan Yup, skoora and I were talking about Asterism on the previous page.

I "discovered" the guitarist when she appeared on Rock Fujiyama with show co-hosts Marty and a veteran Japanese session guitarist. The speed and accuracy of her lead and rhythm playing were impressive.

She was softly-spoken and came across as being really-shy. Then I stumbled upon a live clip of her being an absolute metal beast, both musically and physically, and I thought to myself, "is that the same chick?". Kudos to her.

Oh and BTW when they play that song live she nails every single one of those harmonics perfectly, kinda-impressive to a hack like me.

They formed when they were 11 -> 14 I think and did their first single a couple o' years after that. Started out calling themselves HAL-CA, the guitarist / singer's name.

You can easily hear the improvements as they've matured during the last 5 years or so. I've also noticed that they branched out into unpredictable pop-rock and fusiony stuff as the years went on. I'm old-school so I prefer the metal stuff personally.

crazy for a 16 year old chick

snoop dogg oh fo sho.gif

I rediscovered “head phones president” when going through an old hard drive of mine with music on it. Heavy, super interesting stuff

@scottosan Yup, skoora and I were talking about Asterism on the previous page.

I "discovered" the guitarist when she appeared on Rock Fujiyama with show co-hosts Marty and a veteran Japanese session guitarist. The speed and accuracy of her lead and rhythm playing were impressive.

She was softly-spoken and came across as being really-shy. Then I stumbled upon a live clip of her being an absolute metal beast, both musically and physically, and I thought to myself, "is that the same chick?". Kudos to her.

Oh and BTW when they play that song live she nails every single one of those harmonics perfectly, kinda-impressive to a hack like me.

They formed when they were 11 -> 14 I think and did their first single a couple o' years after that. Started out calling themselves HAL-CA, the guitarist / singer's name.

You can easily hear the improvements as they've matured during the last 5 years or so. I've also noticed that they branched out into unpredictable pop-rock and fusiony stuff as the years went on. I'm old-school so I prefer the metal stuff personally.
They even do songs that are straight up video game music…but when they go heavy it’s the goods. All three of them are crazy good players.

I liked them enough when I ran into them a few years ago that I did some research on them .... they've been together since the late 80's

and were really into the Thrash of the mid to late 80's ....... they've got some heavy stuff ..... the song i posted is probably as close to a mainstream song as they have .....

I really like Japanese underground act Hiro Shima and the Énola Gays. If you’re ever in the area, tune in on air as they’re very radio active.

I don’t get how anyone doesn’t like BabyMetal. The band is tight as hell, the songs are good and the girls outperform almost anyone out there

It took me several years to give them a chance: three teenage girls in schoolgirl uniforms and the song recommended the most was "Catch Me if You Can"......it all seemed a bit too much, or a bit too strange......but it all works and sounds great. They have a great backing band, and the girls can really sing. Sure, it's all put together like a lot of pop bands, but I don't care if the music is good.

Everything so far is East Asian, so how about something from Central Asia: Bloodywood out of India.

I went heavy down the rabbit hole of bands singing in their indigenous languages (with native instruments) while stuck at home during the covid lockdown. Needed something to break up the monotony.

Back