Axe FX. Do not want.

Originally, I never had a desire to have one. But, Im moving into an apartment next year and need something to play quietly or through headphones. Even a 30 watt amp will be too loud in order to get the sounds that I want. And I cannot stand the line 6 shit, so I figure this could be the answer. If not, I sell it and live with shitty tone because itll hopefully be cheaper.

hell, i'd rock it, just not with one of these. these are the deal breakers for me.

steinberger_white_1.jpg

do not want :no:

Joeytpg":2260gv1z said:
well what can I tell ya man..... I'd like one if money was a no issue for me... but I'm not known for being a tweaker...I just don't have the patience for that.... I can sit around and TWEAK things, fine....but I don't have the patience to sit and tweak it until I have THE BEST results I can from a tweakable setup if you know what I mean......

it's the reason why I'm still using a cheap BOSS ME-50 multi fx instead of getting a G-major or intellifex or some multi fx unit like that......

but the Axe does seem to be the real deal though.

Intellifex is fairly plug and play.

I have one on the way....see what it's all about.....if it ever gets here. Fucking Canada Customs has had it since April 21...they just passed it on to another fantastic Crown Corp known to Canadians as Canada Post. It took them 4 days to get a letter from Canada Customs in Toronto to me (300 miles away) instead of a phone call or email, apparently they haven't purchased a computer yet or figured out how to use one :doh: .
They'll be examining it for the next week trying to figure out how they could possibly get a package that big in a mailman's bag let alone into a mailbox???? No doubt they'll have to form a committee to look into the dilema and possibly hire an outside consultant.

Left the USA on April 16th via USPS, it's May 2nd..talk about fast reliable shipping... :LOL: :LOL:
Rant over. I just want to have my Ultra...NOW~!

Mark

if i had more money than i had sense, i'd probably get one just to have it.

i'd use it for recording, maybe, but never for live use.

ah, who am i kidding? i have no need/desire for one either. :rock:

bsp01":15edx8io said:
I'd never end up actually playing or practicing. I'd constantly be tweaking.... I'm bad enough with actual amps and effects.

Man, I'd rather edit a value, than put the guitar down, go into the other room, move a microphone .2cm, pick up guitar, order new microphone, pick up guitar, ebay 2 microphones, buy attenuator, put down guitar, swap celestions.....

not trying to start a flame war here, but i just don't understand why this is so highly regarded but at the first mention of line 6 everyone gets their panties in a wad.

i own a pod xt live, i'm not a die hard fan boy by any means, but it's fun to play around on and for doing covers. i realize while it's made to SOUND like other amps, it's NOT those amps.
how does the axe fx do anything different other than have 1 zillion options and some tube circuitry thrown in?
i just don't get that.

but with that said, i'd love to try one out and see for myself what all the fuss is about.

i can't afford one right now. even if i could.. i've got enough stuff that needs bench time so i'd have no time for tweaking anyway.

Marshall Freak":spjxctl0 said:
I think it's cool, but I'm too retarded for it, I'm NOT a tweaker. I can handle an XTC, MkIV, etc, but that's my limit.

They have to go a LONG way yet to sound like an XTC.

I'd like one as an FX processor, which one could use for mixing, but it would have to have USB or FW compatibility & option to be used as a plugin in DAW. Until then it's just a box that sounds OK, but nothing spectacular.

I had to get one and was thinking of using it for FX only. I ran it between my amps' preamp and power stages and tried it using the AFX's preamp. It is way to sterile for live use and I haven't even bothered programming a patch yet. It has 256 presets on it that are more than enough to muck around with. What I have ended up using it for is to leave it in the office and I plug straight into powered Alesis studio monitors and use it for practicing at the house. Since I don't leave even a small portion of my rig set up as it is being moved all the time, it does come in handy for that. As for a multi-FX unit, it is pretty damned good. I would rather just use the presets and practice rather than spend the time with patches. The manual is pretty feckin usles and obscure. I have had it about 2 weeks now and have used it for about an hour or two. Can't find the tubes in it though :confused:

Steve

The Armadillo of leprosy":pn4embhx said:
not trying to start a flame war here, but i just don't understand why this is so highly regarded but at the first mention of line 6 everyone gets their panties in a wad.

i own a pod xt live, i'm not a die hard fan boy by any means, but it's fun to play around on and for doing covers. i realize while it's made to SOUND like other amps, it's NOT those amps.
how does the axe fx do anything different other than have 1 zillion options and some tube circuitry thrown in?
i just don't get that.

but with that said, i'd love to try one out and see for myself what all the fuss is about.

it has tube circuitry? i thought it was just a high brow modeler :confused:

i suspect that the difference between your POD and the axe fx aren't great enough to justify the difference in price. :thumbsup: of course, that's coming from a guy that hasn't tried an axe fx, so take it with a pound of salt.

Yes, the Axe-Fx may become obsolete as digital technology, chip and storage capacity etc. increase, but by the time the Ultra does age to the ~$500 range (it has upgradability for several years left) , it will likely be nailing the amps it models even better than it does now; same for the dynamics and feel. But with its versatility it requires more tweaking to get the best out of it, or better factory presets to nail the amp tones out-of-the-box instead of showing off the effects...

Having had several modelers, including the Axe-Fx Ultra, the sound comparison is like this IMO:

Axe-Fx Ultra (and this will age too, but still kick plenty of ass for decades to come:)
F-22_Raptor.jpg

other modelers (not your ordinary variety, this is a racer!:)
race_camel1.jpg

:yes:

To each their own ;)

Had one already. It was a great effects unit, reminds me a lot of the upper end TC Electronic stuff. Does not have the shimmer and color of the Eventide units to me, but some would prefer not to have that. Great amp sims, much better than anything else available.

I sold mine to get a Bogner 101b which I liked much better than the amp sims of the Axe FX. The Axe FX does sound good and is extremely versatile. My ears just preferred the Bogner. I also prefer Eventide effects to the unit as well. So I would be in the do not want category I guess.

JMP2203":2vsuta64 said:
life is too short to be selling amps more than once a year in search of the tone in your head

;)

fixed

I actually have an easier time getting a monster tone out of my Axe-Fx than I did with the 2 Bogner XTC's I sold..

one if not both are probably floating around this board somewhere..

steve_k":30jwkz7u said:
I had to get one and was thinking of using it for FX only. I ran it between my amps' preamp and power stages and tried it using the AFX's preamp. It is way to sterile for live use and I haven't even bothered programming a patch yet. It has 256 presets on it that are more than enough to muck around with. What I have ended up using it for is to leave it in the office and I plug straight into powered Alesis studio monitors and use it for practicing at the house. Since I don't leave even a small portion of my rig set up as it is being moved all the time, it does come in handy for that. As for a multi-FX unit, it is pretty damned good. I would rather just use the presets and practice rather than spend the time with patches. The manual is pretty feckin usles and obscure. I have had it about 2 weeks now and have used it for about an hour or two. Can't find the tubes in it though :confused:

Steve

Did you turn off the cab sims when you ran it into your Effects loop?

Back