Axe FX Power Amp bridging to mono

sebby123

My bassist told me that he was advised on the talkbass forum that it was harmful for your power amp and speakers to bridge a power amp from stereo to mono(for the axe-fx rig), I think hes full of shit because i see many people using dual channel power amps bridged to mono. Anyways, thoughts?

sebby123":i6fg530x said:
My bassist told me that he was advised on the talkbass forum that it was harmful for your power amp and speakers to bridge a power amp from stereo to mono(for the axe-fx rig), I think hes full of shit because i see many people using dual channel power amps bridged to mono. Anyways, thoughts?

It ether sounds like they left out part of the equation or he didn't get all the info. Some Power amps are not stable past a certain resistance or Ohm rating wile in a bridged mode. For instance ART doesn't recommend running past an 8 Ohm speaker load on the SLA series when bridged. Even though manuel says you can run a 4 Ohm load wile bridged, they still don't recomend it.

Or they could have been refereeing to the gobbs of power that you would be putting to a guitar cab which can be an issue if you run it too loud. If you have a 240 watt 8 Ohm mono guitar cab and you put 560 watts to it at full volume you will probably melt the voice coils fairly quick.

Sixstring":3iaew8bo said:
sebby123":3iaew8bo said:

It ether sounds like they left out part of the equation or he didn't get all the info. Some Power amps are not stable past a certain resistance or Ohm rating wile in a bridged mode. For instance ART doesn't recommend running past an 8 Ohm speaker load on the SLA series when bridged. Even though manuel says you can run a 4 Ohm load wile bridged, they still don't recomend it.

Or they could have been refereeing to the gobbs of power that you would be putting to a guitar cab which can be an issue if you run it too loud. If you have a 240 watt 8 Ohm mono guitar cab and you put 560 watts to it at full volume you will probably melt the voice coils fairly quick.

Makes sense thanks, Yea i was aware of those issues, just not simple bridging in a proper setup, Im still debating if 560 will be enough.. My bassist had a mark bass solid state power amp that was 500 watts and it kept up but was distorting. Hmm art sla-2 or carvin 1540...

Sixstring":xec8a747 said:
sebby123":xec8a747 said:

Same with my Rocktron Velocity 250.
It can run either side stereo at 4 ohms, but if I bridge it for mono operation, 4 ohms is not recommended.

If the speaker(s) are able to take the power, and the amp has the option of bridging, your bass player is at best misinformed...

ke2":7iieyguz said:
Sixstring":7iieyguz said:
sebby123":7iieyguz said:

:LOL: :LOL: I meant the people on talk bass, He usually comes and asks me a question and im left with a.... :confused:

Same with my Rocktron Velocity 250.
It can run either side stereo at 4 ohms, but if I bridge it for mono operation, 4 ohms is not recommended.

If the speaker(s) are able to take the power, and the amp has the option of bridging, your bass player is at best misinformed...

Back