Axe-FX Ultra & FRFR powered wedge inbound. Done with amps...

Deaj

I'm a new Axe-FX user - just received a new Standard model this past Wednesday. I found the initial learning curve quick and painless. I was building my first preset within the an hour of unboxing it, and using some deep editing parameters to good effect by hour four. I'm using Axe-Edit but I have done some front panel editing as well without issue.

There are some other things that came quickly with the Axe-FX Standard.
* Fantastic tones - this happened right away, as I began sampling the presets. Many are over processed but the core tones in many of the presets are, well, fantastic!
* Thoughts of selling my Mesa MkV combo - these began occurring as soon as I reached a patch that highlighted the MkIIc+ model (with a little tweaking anyway). This is the amp that I use when I get together with other musicians to play. An ideal choice for a do-all tube amp IMO - it's a good fit for most any type of music at any volume level and it sounds fantastic! Well, the Axe-FX has already proven it can do the same and more, and it sounds as good or better than the MkV (again IMO). I have a second amp - an Egnater Tweaker - which I purchased as a recording amp and as a small and simple backup for the MkV (mic'd if need be). The Axe-FX covers everything the Tweaker offers as well - better than the Tweaker does. This amp may go as well.
* Purchase of an EV ELX112P FRFR powered loudspeaker / monitor - this occurred within 24 hours of receiving the Axe-FX. I've been following progress of the Axe-FX for close to four years now with the hope that it might replace amps for me altogether. This is now a sure thing. A powered monitor is the only thing left to sort out. That starts Thursday when mine arrives. If it proves capable as an amp in casual settings with no PA and as a monitor in situations with a PA then there will be no reason to hang on to the tube amps.
* Finally, purchase of an Axe-FX Ultra - this happened within 36 hours of receiving the Standard. After experiencing the Axe-FX for myself, after testing the capabilities of the Standard, I came to the conclusion that I want all of the potential the Axe-FX offers at my disposal. Though I'm not swimming in money I haven't yet decided if I'm going to return the Standard model for a refund or keep it as a backup unit. I've always kept a backup amp on hand. Aside from the possible need to simplify any patch built on the Ultra that employs features unique to the Ultra and/or exceeds the processing power in the Standard It's the next best backup solution to buying a second Ultra (this is not something I'd have planned to do this early but both units will be here Thursday when the Ultra arrives). It would also provide me with an Axe-FX that I could loan out to a couple other players I've been collaborating with on songwriting and recording projects for many years now (my brother and a life long friend).

I've actually been thinking about this scenario for close to 15 years wondering when technology and creativity would close the gap and make it possible for me to be done with amps for recording, live applications, and just practicing / jamming at home. I've been waiting for something that could deliver what Line6 promised back then. The Axe-FX does that and so much more.

Although I'm familiar with, and comfortable with, playing to the sound of a mic'd amp when recording and in live applications I'm very accustomed to playing in the room with the amp most of the time these days. I really thought this was going to be a hurdle for me to get over before switching to a modeler in lieu of tube amps altogether. I'm already over that speedbump. :) It's been an interesting week! This coming week promises more of the same!

What a wild ride! :)

Welcome to the club...

Been an ultra user for the past year -ish. If you need any help, be sure to take advantage of the Fractal Forum and the Wiki....lots of great tips from some VERY knowledgeable guys that can pretty much answer anything you would need.....if you havent already been over there. lol....

Congrats on the new Axe-fx! It really is an amazing tool for a lot reasons. I also felt the same way after acquiring one over a year ago. Thought I'd never use my Mesa Mark III and thought many times about selling it. Bought a nice pair of fr speakers, and spent countless hours tweaking patches and amp models. Finally one day I decided to re-cap my mesa, buy a few nos tubes and get back to a real amp. Now I use the axe-fx in combination with my amp in a four-cable hook-up. I've actually gotten the mark III sounding so good that I pretty much just use the axe-fx for effects and maybe some of the cleaner amp models. If I were you I wouldn't be so quick on selling your mark IV. Also try running the axe-fx straight into the loop return of the Mark IV, you will be amazed how good it sounds. And yes the IIC+ sim is awesome.
Personally the reason I like the amp is because I can get too carried away with tweaking and I'd rather be playing. It's just crazy what can be done with the axe-fx.

The_Kid":296krh1o said:
Welcome to the club...

Been an ultra user for the past year -ish. If you need any help, be sure to take advantage of the Fractal Forum and the Wiki....lots of great tips from some VERY knowledgeable guys that can pretty much answer anything you would need.....if you havent already been over there. lol....

Thanks! :) The Wiki has been open on my desktop since the Axe-FX Standard arrived on Wednesday. Great resource! I agree regarding the Fractal Audio forum as well - great community and very helpful!

Welcome to the Axe family :thumbsup:

I run my Axe in my Mesa MK III 1x12 combo return loop and yes it sounds amazing. I also run it in my Bogner return loop into a 4x12 for a stereo. The Atomic wedges are in my future but wont be replacing those 2 amps. Yes it replaced all of my other amps :yes:

i'm debating on a std. , i really want to spend some more time with one before buying

was thorougly impressed the other week when i tried one out, they're just so expensive in europe, rather off putting

but a great piece of kit, grats on the new incoming setup =0

i too would hold onto your regular amps a bit longer, you never know

university81":hsahzlwk said:
i'm debating on a std. , i really want to spend some more time with one before buying

was thorougly impressed the other week when i tried one out, they're just so expensive in europe, rather off putting

but a great piece of kit, grats on the new incoming setup =0

i too would hold onto your regular amps a bit longer, you never know

Yeah - I'm actually in no hurry to sell anything. I won't sell anything until I'm certain that I'm done with them.

Congrats on your Axe. I just got mine Friday, must admit it is the BEST gear purchase I've made in a long time.

Doubleneck":35gvu08s said:
Congrats on your Axe. I just got mine Friday, must admit it is the BEST gear purchase I've made in a long time.
Same.

Although I wanted to hate it, I can't... It's just DAMN fine!! :yes:

V.

Ventura":30igrxtp said:
Doubleneck":30igrxtp said:
Same.

Although I wanted to hate it, I can't... It's just DAMN fine!! :yes:

V.
Yeah I wanted to hate it to but…...

The Axe-FX Ultra and powered monitor arrived Thursday. I've logged quite a bit of time building new rigs, tweaking, and playing over the last few days. I'm really liking the FRFR approach for gig/jam volume. First - all of the patches I have built so far at high volume sound MUCH better loud and quiet. I haven't really built anything complete at this point. I'm just learning to work with the Amp, Cab, and Drive blocks to achieve specific results. I'm very happy with the results so far and it gets better, and faster, the more I work with it. The Axe-FX is turning out to be one of the best guitar related purchases I've ever made!

The wah block is fantastic!! I've rarely used wah over the years but I'm using it a lot now and getting more comfortable with it. This thing is just amazing!

ultra + HD1531 for me. Couldn't be happier and I've run quite a few setups. Full range is the way to go

Back