Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in a Charvel?

fickle

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has used the Rebel Yell pickups in a strat style guitar.. Alder body maple neck?
Im looking to replace the JB in my Charvel San Dimas and the rebel yells seem interesting to me..Do they work well in a strat style guitar or are they more for mahogany wood guitars like the Les Pauls??
Thanks,
Jack

fickle":20frkcb2 said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has used the Rebel Yell pickups in a strat style guitar.. Alder body maple neck?
Im looking to replace the JB in my Charvel San Dimas and the rebel yells seem interesting to me..Do they work well in a strat style guitar or are they more for mahogany wood guitars like the Les Pauls??
Thanks,
Jack

Don't think it's recommended due to the woods... Email Tim Mills. He'll give you the dirt straight up ;)

V.

Wasn't the Duncan JB Steve Stevens pickup of choice when he was creating all those cool tones that led him to deserve his own signature pickup 25 years later? Just sayin'

Chubtone":2hnf6ob1 said:
Wasn't the Duncan JB Steve Stevens pickup of choice when he was creating all those cool tones that led him to deserve his own signature pickup 25 years later? Just sayin'

what are you getting at? are you saying just get a JB because thats what he used back then? if so, good point :thumbsup:

and if not, then i am a idiot :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Halford

halford":caabmkz3 said:
Chubtone":caabmkz3 said:

what are you getting at? are you saying just get a JB because thats what he used back then? if so, good point :thumbsup:

and if not, then i am a idiot :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Halford

Well, I didn't say that in words did I? :D I mean you can go buy a Duncan Warren Demartini signature RTM for $160 or you can buy the pickup that Warren created all the sounds that made him popular enough to warrant a signature model pickup. But that's just a boring, $69 Duncan JB and where's the excitement in being able to start an interesting new thread about a boring old pickup?

No offense to the original poster of this thread.... I'm just commenting on the world of forums where you'll read a thread about how some kid in Poughkepsie got rid of his Boss GT-10 because it was too digital and fake sounding for someone of his stature and then you'll go see Nuno Bettencourt rip your head off with sick tone while using a Boss GT-10. I just ache so badly knowing these poor pros don't know as much about gear as us forum guys do and that maybe some of them could have been contenders and done something with their guitar careers if they had been as gear enlightened as we are. :LOL: :LOL:

Point.
Well.
Taken.

I've often said my mentors and musical inspirations did a helluva lot on very little. No mincing over gear, what they had, they made sing. It's the same old story and we all know it - more gear, better gear, newer gear - will make us better players. But we also ALL know there are NO short cuts to being a killer player. It's all sweat, tears and patience...and dedication all the way.

The interim purchases are there to make us feel better, vindicated. And I'm just as guilty as anyone else here, but hey, I like my gear.

Peace,
V.

From what I have read was that the Rebel Yell is more like the old JB that folks have raved about.. I guess they offer it in their custom shop? Just looking to get a better replacement for the JB.. Also thinking of getting the vhII to switch out my 59 in another strat.. Those pickups were great in the splawn but with my marsha its different..

chubtone- You use the Duncan custom 78 right? why not just go for the original old gibson paf then.. I mean that is what the early guys used to get there great tones, before Seymour Duncan made them.. But anyways thanks for the good post.. It obviously helped me out a lot!

yeah Chubtone!? why not go for the original old gibson paf then :gethim:

haha

Kidding.

Good points from all around!

Fickle - or anyone else, has the JB changed since it first came out at all? even... slightly?

Venture - i think your bang on :thumbsup:

Halford

Some guys say they are different and some say they're the same.. I know they used to have a JB proto in the custom shop which is probably the original JB that is supposed to be the great pickup without the strong mid-range honk.. I read an interview w. Steve Stevens someone posted on the Duncan forums and he said that the Rebel Yells sounded pretty much like the original JBs.

fickle":25lu5a9m said:
From what I have read was that the Rebel Yell is more like the old JB that folks have raved about.. I guess they offer it in their custom shop? Just looking to get a better replacement for the JB.. Also thinking of getting the vhII to switch out my 59 in another strat.. Those pickups were great in the splawn but with my marsha its different..

chubtone- You use the Duncan custom 78 right? why not just go for the original old gibson paf then.. I mean that is what the early guys used to get there great tones, before Seymour Duncan made them.. But anyways thanks for the good post.. It obviously helped me out a lot!

I had the 78' [EVH] in my Charvel Star. It was a little sharper and seemed to have more bite than a standard Gibson PAF. It sounded similar to a Pearly Gates, but has more harmonics and less warmth.

donbarzini":1pl4t4w5 said:
Chubtone":1pl4t4w5 said:

yes, but he needed additional effects to do the ray gun, you don't need them with the Rebel Yell

Good point.

I had the Rebel Yells in my (Basswood/Maple) Axis and didn't like it - the frequencies didn't complement each other so well. There are othe BKPs perfect for that kind of guitar. Depends on what you want to achieve.

If the JB was too harsh/thin, then the HolyDiver would be perfect for you (that's what I would get) - or for something less hot and more versatile I'd go with Mules. But as said, speak with Tim (sales@bareknucklepickups.co.uk) - send him what you have (guitar, bridge, woods, pickups) and what you want to change tone/output wise.

I just put a M/C solution in my Charvel,it doesn't sound good. However it sounds awsome in my Les Paul,I'm in the same boat,looks like I'm going back to EMG :(

halford":2jf4ue5l said:
yeah Chubtone!? why not go for the original old gibson paf then :gethim:
Halford

Uhhhhh, because they are $3000. :D

Has anyone else here noticed that these boutique pickup guys ALL talk about how they have heard several original PAF's and that they found one PAF that is the greatest one ever. And their pickup is the only one based on this greatest PAF ever and only this one particular pickup winder uses the best materials. Everyone else cuts corners or uses inferior parts or wire. Does anyone think ANY of these boutique pickup makers have heard or experienced more original PAF's than Seymour Duncan? Does anyone remember years and years ago when I did a pickup shootout pitting the Duncan '59, Duncan '78, and the Voodoo '59 and the Holmes 455? That was funny.... all the people getting mad because they picked the $69 Duncan '59 over the $350 Holmes 455 and $160 Voodoo '59.

And people talk all the time about how the old Duncans from the 80's sound better so in order to get something comparable you have to spend $180 these days. I picked up a vintage Duncan JB (wound by MJ, apparently she also did some magic and wound them "better" than anyone else at Duncan) on ebay for $45 and put it into one of my San Dimas Charvels that came with a new JB in it. I noticed zero difference in the guitars tone. Zero. If I did notice a difference I wouldn't tell anybody so I could continue to snag "vintage" Duncans for cheap.

I am sorry for taking this thread off course. I have only installed one BK. A VHII in a guitar for a customer. It worked. It sounded like a good guitar pickup.

hunter":20l3kifd said:
....HOWEVER check out what this guy does with a RY in a San Dimas
http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/i ... ic=22267.0

:confused: guess it must have been me the reason why it wouldn't work in my Axis :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah.... you know I would listen to that clip. BUT...... it seems that the guy used a POD XT to record some of the guitars on that clip. That takes me back to my first point. A POD XT is not good enough to grace the extremely well tuned, incredibly refined ears of us forumites. :D

You guys know I'm poking just as much fun at myself as others here right?

Back to the clip, sounds great! :rock:

I hear you chubtone.. I have always used Duncans.. My favorites are the 59 and the custom 5, but they are just not working for me with the new amp.. The JB is working bettter and I have never been a big fan of the strong mid-honk, but strangley enough I happen to like it a little more with this amp than the 59s or Cutsom 5's... If I could get a JBish type pickup without have the strong midrange, I's be a happy camper.. The Rebel Yells seem like they might be a good replacement.. Maybe even the Mules..

And thanks to everyone with some useful info.. I will prolly be emailing Tim @ BK this weekend.. That clip did sound great..

Back