BE50 Deluxe

marshall2553":zfcez2u3 said:
John 14:6":zfcez2u3 said:
I am hoping a BE50 Deluxe owner who is familiar with the Small Box or Dave himself can say if the BE50 can be dialed in to nail the sound of the Small Box's BE channel with it slightly more vintage voicing? Also, is the BE50 the same size head box as the BE100?
Looks to be a little smaller than the BE and slightly bigger than the Smallbox judging by the video and pics. I'll let you know when mine comes if it can nail Smallbox tones, though I don't have mine any more so I can't compare them side by side.
Thanks and I am looking forward to your review, I hope you LOVE the new amp too. :thumbsup:

What does the voice switch do - I thought that was the gain structure a la BE100’s. But on this it’s an additional switch. Sorry if I missed something obvious...

Voice tailors the top end response. Middle is brightest. You have 2 darker positions.. might use darker ones with strats or teles.

RACKSYSTEMS":2wn113wz said:
Voice tailors the top end response. Middle is brightest. You have 2 darker positions.. might use darker ones with strats or teles.

Dave sounds great, clearly your most flexible amp to date, great job! :thumbsup:

I take it Thump is a 1M pot in place of the 220k fixed depth resistor, Response is a 100k? pot, or 47k+50k pot? in place of the 47K NFB resistor? If so that means you're probably tapping off the 16ohm tap?

EDIT: From sweetwater gut shot I think I see 8ohm tap -> 1M/.0047uf Thump -> 27k NFB resistor -> Response Pot (value?) with a 220k across the outer lugs -> presence.

Just got in line at Sweetwater for one. Should be shipping to me by weeks end.

I may have to sell my Friedman modded ‘79 2203 to help offset the cost.

CrazyNutz":2ykjsube said:
RACKSYSTEMS":2ykjsube said:

Dave sounds great, clearly your most flexible amp to date, great job! :thumbsup:

I take it Thump is a 1M pot in place of the 220k fixed depth resistor, Response is a 100k? pot, or 47k+50k pot? in place of the 47K NFB resistor? If so that means you're probably tapping off the 16ohm tap?

EDIT: From sweetwater gut shot I think I see 8ohm tap -> 1M/.0047uf Thump -> 27k NFB resistor -> Response Pot (value?) with a 220k across the outer lugs -> presence.

Ya Dave, why don't you just tell Crazynutz the whole damn amp Circuit. :LOL: :LOL:

Whowantsamustache":1ii1h2xr said:
Ya Dave, why don't you just tell Crazynutz the whole damn amp Circuit. :LOL: :LOL:

He has already divulged a lot of info to us on this and other forums. Dave is quite generous with sharing information, and ideas. As a matter of fact he has been so generous, that he corrected several errors on schematics the community has created. He has nothing to hide. BTW if he doesn't want to share he can clearly decide not to answer for himself.

I didn't see anything in regard to this, but noticed in the photos from the SweetWater page...did Dave put a new FX Loop in this?!? He used to use the SDM/Metro loop, then his own with the 2 trimmers. This is like the old Metro loop, but doesn't appear to be that either and why it looks like a new loop is in the new BE-50 Deluxe?!? Is that so?? If so, is it just for the BE-50DLX or other of the latest models also??

Ref: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BE-50DLX

CrazyNutz":3iz9ohrf said:
RACKSYSTEMS":3iz9ohrf said:

re: the response pot. It's probably a 250k that he's already stocking for use as the treble control in all the amps. The 220k resistor turns it into an approx 100k pot, so the effective NFB resistance would go from 27k to 130k or there abouts. And he doesn't have to keep stock of yet another value pot. But what the hell do I know.... :confused:

And man, am I ever looking forward to hearing one of these amps in person. Just sent an email to the local Friedman dealer to see if they are gonna have any in the new year.
My BE100 is the last version with the Mallory caps, and I never updated it because it just sounds so freakin' good as is! . That may end up being a good move, because now if I pick up a BE50, they'll be different enough to keep both :rock:

A closed back 1x12 combo would be cool if possible. Kind of like how Fender did the EVH 5150
III closed back 1x12 combo.

atrox":1lwb5qgy said:
Jesus. I have a BE-100 and i have never wanted an amp so bad.
Oh dude, deciding between this or a BE-100 is killing me!!! I can’t wait for NAMM to finally give one a go!

JerEvil":1rbzxiq6 said:
Oh dude, deciding between this or a BE-100 is killing me!!! I can’t wait for NAMM to finally give one a go!
THe be50 is pretty badass, a buddy has one, I’ve had some time to tinker with it, and will tinker a little more soon. Lots of options and tweaking. Lots!!!

fusedbrain":3w42y36r said:
re: the response pot. It's probably a 250k that he's already stocking for use as the treble control in all the amps. The 220k resistor turns it into an approx 100k pot, so the effective NFB resistance would go from 27k to 130k or there abouts. And he doesn't have to keep stock of yet another value pot. But what the hell do I know.... :confused:

And man, am I ever looking forward to hearing one of these amps in person. Just sent an email to the local Friedman dealer to see if they are gonna have any in the new year.
My BE100 is the last version with the Mallory caps, and I never updated it because it just sounds so freakin' good as is! . That may end up being a good move, because now if I pick up a BE50, they'll be different enough to keep both :rock:

You are correct, the response pot is 250k. The BE50 quite a different beast (based on the sound, and some tracing out the schemo), much more aggressive capable. It would be worth having both be100, and be50dlx in my opinion.

CrazyNutz":3iof1f2y said:
fusedbrain":3iof1f2y said:

You are correct, the response pot is 250k. The BE50 quite a different beast (based on the sound, and some tracing out the schemo), much more aggressive capable. It would be worth having both be100, and be50dlx in my opinion.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
My local Friedman guy hasn't gotten back to me yet. Gotta follow up on this tomorrow.

Back