BE50 - Fractal Song Demo

Corey James

What's up?

I have a bunch of songs / song demos in various stages of completion and thought about sharing them.
This one has a BE-50 and a Fractal Axe III running on separate sides of the stereo spectrum.

Instruments include a koa Taylor, koa Corey James model, Suhr modern, and a Bongo 5.

Feedback welcome, enjoy.

Hopefully in the process I'll find some lyricists / singers / musicians etc to collaborate with.

Well, I could post another, or I could talk to myself in this room alone for a while :unsure:

Maybe I should have posted a headline that said Home Recording: First Act Strat Slayin Gorilla Amp!!

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the reach around.
kind of felt like I’d get more traction if it was in a political thread on the general forum

Came in here hit play expecting nothing. Came away thinking, damn that sounds really clean. In a music world where everything is compressed to hell its nice to hear a real and raw guitar tone!

Reactions: ccn
Damn Piggy, you made my day man. I hope you checked out both tracks and I appreciate that feedback.

for the last couple years I’ve just been demoing song ideas from the intro through the chorus. There are a few complete pieces but there’s 28 of these things that are intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus and out.

if there is an audience it would be fun to share them. With this thread consisting of me myself and I for a week it’s nice to get a little bit of feedback

Also, I’m pretty happy with the acoustic guitars, but if anybody has experience tracking acoustics with preamps and onboard pick ups, like Taylor’s on board pick ups for example, I’d love to hear the signal chain.

sometimes I use microphones fired my recording area is right next to my Geothermal that turns on every eight minutes. That doesn’t really make open microphones ideal during winter.

thanks again

Reactions: ccn
Great guitar tone and overall mix. I have to ask - stock preset? Which cab IR?
Hey guitar g thank you.

i’m out of town in Hazleton Pennsylvania right now for business. attended a pretty cool open mic session in the middle of nowhere USA today, But I can look up some of the info in my ProTools session on Thursday. Which track are you asking about?

from memory, the acoustic guitars were captured with just a tube pre in the signal from the onboard Taylor pick ups with a Fractal. One track has a six string the other track has a 12 string. Both of them are koa guitars with taylors on board electronics version two

The bass guitar was the fractal preset from somebody else called ‘Rich love sound or some such thing.

running too high was my be 50 into a UA ox with Celestion greenbacks. The other guitar was a BE 100 C 45 with the gain dialed back quite a bit in the Fractal.

get me the hell out of here GMTH was my BE 50 on one side & my dirty Shirley 40 on the other side with the punchy green back on the dirty Shirley through the UA ox. same fractal presets on the bass and acoustic guitars. There are accent guitars in the chorus section that are fractal presets that I just can’t recall right now. They are buried behind the main guitars. I can look that up later if I made good notes. There’s a strange appregiated thing in the back half of the chorus that added some contrast to the mix on the fractal (or so I thought at the time).

I appreciate you checking it out 🤟🏽

Sounded great man!
Theres a lot going on in there, I had to listen a few times to hear it all because I tend to start fixating on whatever grabs my attention first and I miss stuff because of it. You have a nice balance in the tracks when transitioning from electric to acoustics in GMTH.

I really haven't tracked acoustics with onboard stuff, so I don't have much in that realm, we track em with an AKG C414 into a UA LA-610 at the 12th fret, and a Bock 195 into a Warm Audio WA73-EQ around the sound hole to add some body, it works great as long as the WA73 is not set to aggressive settings. The 414 is fantastic for detail . I have a Taylor 6 string and a Larivee 12 string that we pretty much mike both up in a similar way. The Larivee has an onboard pickup/preamp system but we got better results with the mics once we got them dialed.
Ive thought seriously about landing a UA ox, Ive borrowed my bass players and run it for a few weeks, it worked really well. I think we ran the SPDF out directly into the Apogee interface and I was really surprised at the results for heavy rhythm tracks. Its not quite as good as the Royer/57 or Royer/Senn421 combo for raw tracks but it was a lot quieter running SPDF out. My amps are all pretty noisy and we record them cranked, once your playing you can't hear it, but we spend a bit of time deleting the track before and after the actual playing due to the noise...

Thats a beautiful guitar, is that the CJ sig?

Sounded great man!
Theres a lot going on in there, I had to listen a few times to hear it all because I tend to start fixating on whatever grabs my attention first and I miss stuff because of it. You have a nice balance in the tracks when transitioning from electric to acoustics in GMTH.

I really haven't tracked acoustics with onboard stuff, so I don't have much in that realm, we track em with an AKG C414 into a UA LA-610 at the 12th fret, and a Bock 195 into a Warm Audio WA73-EQ around the sound hole to add some body, it works great as long as the WA73 is not set to aggressive settings. The 414 is fantastic for detail . I have a Taylor 6 string and a Larivee 12 string that we pretty much mike both up in a similar way. The Larivee has an onboard pickup/preamp system but we got better results with the mics once we got them dialed.
Ive thought seriously about landing a UA ox, Ive borrowed my bass players and run it for a few weeks, it worked really well. I think we ran the SPDF out directly into the Apogee interface and I was really surprised at the results for heavy rhythm tracks. Its not quite as good as the Royer/57 or Royer/Senn421 combo for raw tracks but it was a lot quieter running SPDF out. My amps are all pretty noisy and we record them cranked, once your playing you can't hear it, but we spend a bit of time deleting the track before and after the actual playing due to the noise...

Thats a beautiful guitar, is that the CJ sig?
That’s an awesome reply. Thank you. Do you have anything you can share or send with the microphone combination? I’ll Google the 195 to see what it is. I’d love to try that set up.

in my home studio I have a Geothermal unit right behind the wall that runs for half of the year which doesn’t really help. Ever since I’ve been in this room I rarely use microphones unfortunately, though I’m pretty happy with the results I’m getting these couple dozen demos.

yes that is a guitar that I built. When I retire I’m going to build a shit ton of guitars again.

592D20C1-7076-4B78-8FEA-B220968DC779.jpeg

74F4B00C-80CB-4EA7-A7AA-7EAA302A8E4D.jpeg

That’s an awesome reply. Thank you. Do you have anything you can share or send with the microphone combination? I’ll Google the 195 to see what it is. I’d love to try that set up.

in my home studio I have a Geothermal unit right behind the wall that runs for half of the year which doesn’t really help. Ever since I’ve been in this room I rarely use microphones unfortunately, though I’m pretty happy with the results I’m getting these couple dozen demos.

yes that is a guitar that I built. When I retire I’m going to build a shit ton of guitars again.
I don't think they make the 195 anymore, but Im not sure. It was basically a version of the Sound deluxe if I have that right. It does big bottom end gloriously, you have to be careful with it on acoustics or it will get boomy in a hurry, the EQ on the WA73 will surgically take care of it though.
We initially got it as a room mike for acoustic drums, but found it did a ton of other stuff too. I think the latest version of the 414 is actually better than the one I have, you could really use it on its own just off the fretboard and it sounds great. The LA610 really brings out the magic in that mike on acoustics. Well, actually, the 610 works on anything you run through it, its a fantastic mic preamp.
I'm buried with work at the moment but let me see what I can get up for you. Ive gotta be on the road in 15 minutes, gotta another 12 hour day today :doh:
That guitar is beautiful, Well done!

Last edited:
Back