Best 6L6 poweramp?

Digital Jams":1s6gog50 said:
Only Gene, with 6547896548956342 different 6l6 power amps to choose from he suggests the uber rare overseas only black 2562 :LOL: :LOL:

:hys:

guitarslinger":4if888jr said:
AdamB":4if888jr said:
Where can you get the VHT black beauty?

I can't find much about them

Pretty sure you won't be able to get one.

I think it was a limited edition French release.

There might only be 5? 10? 20? in existence
It's actually called a 2/56/2, not 2/50/2, as the 50 is EL34. There was a 200 run for a French dealer, and I THINK there was a very limited European run before that. There are only a couple that were built for the US, all of them being good/close friends of Fryette's. I got one because I got hooked up with one of Fryette's friends who had one on his shelf, boxed up, never touched. I got really lucky, but it sounds WAY better than my Mesa 2:100, though I do really love the 2:100. You could try to get an older Strategy, I know they sound awesome as hell.

I've been using the Mesa 2:90 since '92...it's a very warm and smooth sounding power amp. I like it much better than VHT for those reasons...it just sounds better for my purposes. If you want a harder, more aggressive sound, the VHT or Mesa 2:100 would be better choices.

rupe":283jvf8m said:
I've been using the Mesa 2:90 since '92...it's a very warm and smooth sounding power amp. I like it much better than VHT for those reasons...it just sounds better for my purposes. If you want a harder, more aggressive sound, the VHT or Mesa 2:100 would be better choices.

I had the exact opposite, because I felt the 2:90 was too dark and really muddy in the mids, and didn't have enough bite on the top end. But I do agree with you. If you want a smoother, darker power amp, then go with the 2:90. If you want a more aggressive one, go with VHT. I'd get the 2/90/2 and put 6550s in it!!! Or put 6550s in one side and EL34s in the other!

studiojig":1lcsuy33 said:
Curious - What makes the Rivera that special to you? I ask honestly as I've no experience with separate power amps but am intrigued by the pre/power-amp rack approach.

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Everything is nice and spread out.
MUCH easier to work on than a VHT IMO.
Easy to find for <$800
Will accept 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT88, etc etc etc etc. All it needs is a bias adjustment.
Pentode/triode switch
low power/high power switch
quieter fan than what comes stock on my 2150
etc.

GREAT power amps.

guitarslinger":rf9bdxar said:
Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Will accept 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT88, etc etc etc etc. All it needs is a bias adjustment.
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

<-------------------yup.

guitarslinger":1euzpipd said:
studiojig":1euzpipd said:
Curious - What makes the Rivera that special to you? I ask honestly as I've no experience with separate power amps but am intrigued by the pre/power-amp rack approach.

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

Interesting... thanks for the info. Do you find that it's less obtrusive sounding when you crank the pre/power combination up to loud band levels? One of my biggest gripes in general with amps is how much a power section overshadows and injects cold, sterile, trebly influence on a nice tone when cranked up LOUD

studiojig":1xvzu0yp said:
guitarslinger":1xvzu0yp said:
studiojig":1xvzu0yp said:

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

Interesting... thanks for the info. Do you find that it's less obtrusive sounding when you crank the pre/power combination up to loud band levels? One of my biggest gripes in general with amps is how much a power section overshadows and injects cold, sterile, trebly influence on a nice tone when cranked up LOUD

What I like about GOOD rack setups, in general:

tone stays almost the same whether played at bedroom, basement, or arena volumes. The VHT and Rivera stuff REALLY excels at this, especially when they are loaded with 6550's.

dammit:

I'm getting myself excited about my Rivera TBR stuff.

Too bad I have an acoustic gig right after work :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

I'm probably driving the prices up too :( :thumbsdown:

guitarslinger":1gjiylkh said:
studiojig":1gjiylkh said:
guitarslinger":1gjiylkh said:
studiojig":1gjiylkh said:

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

tone stays almost the same whether played at bedroom, basement, or arena volumes. The VHT and Rivera stuff REALLY excels at this, especially when they are loaded with 6550's.

+1 I agree 100% with Gene here. I have the same feeling.

Eric

aeroic":2s4szkjm said:
guitarslinger":2s4szkjm said:
studiojig":2s4szkjm said:
guitarslinger":2s4szkjm said:
studiojig":2s4szkjm said:

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

Eric

Then we are all of like mind. The tone should stay the same at any level in my opinion, perhaps some very minor eq compensation but... (well, if needed depending on tone). I've had amps in the past that required me to turn the treble down to 1 on the dial and the presence completely off. There's only one amp I've ever played that didn't cause a problem in this area - Peters Gryphon. One of the best to be sure. I have no need for any amps right now as I'm only doing home studio stuff with plug-ins, etc. but am still curious about rack setups.

Damn, I can feel GAS starting to rise already..

studiojig":1q7tb4pi said:

I think that really depends on the power amp, and how its used? You can boost the preamp and cut the power amp levels if your power amp colors too much at loud volume. I thought this was part of the value of tube power amps, to add power amp color? The Atomic Reactor for the Axe-Fx are tube power, but are supposed to be clean? Haven't tried one though. If you want your preamp to be the only color to the tone, why not use a solid state power amp, much cheaper. With a tube preamp, the SS is clean not sterile; I ran my ADA rig (bass and guitar rigs) with tube preamps and a clean Solid State power amp for years. This way my tone was from the preamp, at any volume of the power amp.

I'm looking at Vox combos now (and saving the pennies) because I want the color of the power amp stage (which is good, because the power amp stage on these vintage-style amps is on full as there's no master) and the preamp stage in combination, and with the Celestion alnico blues. Full vintage tone interaction.

edit: spelling errors!

studiojig":3hb8tq8y said:
aeroic":3hb8tq8y said:
guitarslinger":3hb8tq8y said:
guitarslinger":3hb8tq8y said:

Fucking loud
Sounds Dark as hell
HUGE transformers
Looks fucking awesome
Easy to find for <$800
Pentode/triode switch
etc.

GREAT power amps.

Eric

Then we are all of like mind. The tone should stay the same at any level in my opinion, perhaps some very minor eq compensation but... (well, if needed depending on tone). I've had amps in the past that required me to turn the treble down to 1 on the dial and the presence completely off. Even then, it was a battle and of course the tone suffered. Hence my curiosity on rack approaches.

Do keep in mind that your ears do hear things differently at lower and higher volumes. That's why I try to record at both lower and higher volumes to make sure the tone is there :) Mic's don't lie!

Eric

rsm":bolrs436 said:
studiojig":bolrs436 said:

I think that really depends on the power amp, and how its used? You can boost the preamp and cut the power amp levels if your power amp colors too much at loud volume. I thought this was part of the value of tube power amps, to add power amp color? The Atomic Reactor for the Axe-Fx are tube power, but are supposed to be clean? Haven't tried one though. If you want your preamp to be the only color to the tone, why not use a solid state power amp, much cheaper. With a tube preamp, the SS is clean not sterile; I ran my ADA rig (bass and guitar rigs) with tube preamps and a clean Solid State power amp for years. This way my tone was from the preamp, at any volume of the power amp.

I'm looking at Vox combos now (and saving the pennies) because I want the color of the power amp stage (which is good, because the power amp stage on these vintage-style amps is on full as there's no master) and the preamp stage in combination, and with the Celestion alnico blues. Full vintage tone interaction.

Never said that power tubes shouldn't add color. Just typically most rack rigs get their tone more from the preamp section and not the power amp section mainly. The power section makes it louder, and adds it's coloration to it. What we are saying is that the power section shouldn't sound fizzy and weak at low volumes, and cause you to crank it to 11 to make it sound good.

What both Gene and I like, is the power section should sound as close as possible to the same at lower and higher volumes.

Eric

aeroic":1k4uj7bx said:
rsm":1k4uj7bx said:
studiojig":1k4uj7bx said:

Never said that power tubes shouldn't add color. Just typically most rack rigs get their tone more from the preamp section and not the power amp section mainly. The power section makes it louder, and adds it's coloration to it. What we are saying is that the power section shouldn't sound fizzy and weak at low volumes, and cause you to crank it to 11 to make it sound good.

What both Gene and I like, is the power section should sound as close as possible to the same at lower and higher volumes.

Eric

Agreed. I'd also add that the "right" type of power tube coloration is important (for me at least). What it shouldn't do is negatively infringe on the sound. What it should do is amplify the preamp tone and only add warmth and "tube sweetness" (subjective I know, but..). In my original post/response I mentioned the cold/harsh/treble nature of most amp heads I've ever owned when at band levels (and yes, I know about eq-ing for different volumes). That's my reference point in subsequent comments on the topic.

Back