Best/Favorite ways to Mic/Record your Diezel?

JoshXR

Hey all,

I am going to be recording in a couple weeks. I have always done the close mic'd approach. I am using my Diezel VH4 for a hard rock tone, occasionally going into heavy metal territory.

I figured I would ask this forum how they like to record their Diezels.

Cheers!
-Josh

I guess it all really depends what you or your studio have access to. My preference is to use a Royer 122V paired with a Shure SM57. I place them on the same speaker and only about an inch away from the grill. My favorite preamp to use for heavier tones is the 4-channel API 3124. If you do end up using a ribbon mic, like the Royer, make sure you read up on all the DO's and Donts. Ribbon mics are very sensitive and you could easily damage one if you aren't careful.

Or, you could record your tracks direct, then send them to me, and I will re-amp them through my Diezel and that exact signal chain that I just described.

:)

ive recorded a bunch with all my Diezels. The best tones i got believe it or not were from a combo of a Shure SM57 & an EV RE-20. Killer tones!!!! and i used the G12K100 speaker. Just worked well. Also threw a lil 421 in the mix too and that worked well. I kept it simple & it worked well..

Happy Trails!!!

Thanks for all the tips, and Dan, I might take you up on that! Let's see how the recording session goes next week.

I will actually be recording with a Marshall 1960A cab. I love the combo of the VH4 and the Marshall cab. Has that heavy duty Diezel sound, but some of that Marshall sparkle.

So far, I've had excellent results micing my schmidt with my shure beta 56a (half way on cone) and my shure sm7b (basically on speaker cap). I haven't mic'd my VH4 much yet though.

The SM7b is brilliant, barely any fine placing required. So far, I'm pretty impressed.

shadow070":y85s38iv said:
IM using a SM57 at the moment, i was thingking of getting a e606, any experiance with this mic?

The e906 is always in my guitar case for recording/gigs, I love that bad boy. I like the sound of it a bit better than the SM57, and it has a great shape for live gigs, has worked well for me in the past for recording.

e609 or e906? they're the same thing except the e906 has a switch for the presence. The e906 and the k100s make getting a sound pretty easy.

philbag said:
So far, I've had excellent results micing my schmidt with my shure beta 56a (half way on cone) and my shure sm7b (basically on speaker cap). I haven't mic'd my VH4 much yet though.

The SM7b is brilliant, barely any fine placing required. So far, I'm pretty impressed.[/quot

Hello, first time post. Just got an Einstein 50 head and loving it!!! :D Will surely post some questions about it later on.
I love the SM7b for recording. Works great for almost anything you throw at it. Best allround mic I´ve ever bought.
For recording electric guitar specifically though you´ll have a hard time beating a Royer R121. A bit expensive, but if you´re picky about recording you´ll never regret buying one. Although not as useful for livework.

Just recorded a cover of Sabbath's "Into the Void" with the VH4.

Think I might overdub a few rhythm tracks with a Marshall JVM to give it a bit brighter high end.

I'll have a clip soon!

I prefer a Sennheiser E609 or E906 both are grat mics the diference only is the filter in the 906

Back