Best Hotrodded Marshall tones in my current price range?

gtrlw

I’ve been listening to Burning Rain in my car this week (yes, I’m the old guy driving down the road cranking hair-metal) and Aldrich’s Cameron-modded Marshall tones have me salivating. However, I have some other financial goals I’m working on right now and I can’t swing a Cameron. I have been looking into the following amps that are in my current price range and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on which one will get me closest to the sound I’m looking for without breaking the bank.

-Ceriatone Chupacabra
-Splawn Quickrod
-Friedman modded Marshall (although I don’t see any for sale right now)
-Voodoo Jose-HG (again, none for sale right now that I see on the internets)

Any advice or other recommendations are greatly appreciated. :rock:

Hey Will:

Contact Mark (forum member 'prsguitars1'). He has a nice Friedman "Kitchen Sink" JMP he might be willing to sell you! :thumbsup:

I think they are all great. I can't comment on a few of them but I can tell you I have a '76 JMP that has the HG Jose Mod from Voodoo amps and it kills! I had a few extras put in as well so I can now maintain the vintage quality and tones of the amp while getting some killer hair metal tones.

Thanks for all the input. I'm also talking to Jerry Dyer of Surreal about a VM50 that sounds promising.

guitarmike":tclh2zm9 said:
gtrlw":tclh2zm9 said:
J.B.":tclh2zm9 said:
I'd say Friedman or Fortin. I love em both.

You're from my neck of the woods. I grew up in good old Waukesha, WI. :thumbsup:

I am in Franklin, WI and play many places in Waukesha, all with one of my Friedman amps.

Is Peabody's still there?

Back in the day my hangouts were T.A. Verns and Starz (I think that was the name) in Milwaukee.

gtrlw":2cxtapm4 said:
guitarmike":2cxtapm4 said:
gtrlw":2cxtapm4 said:
J.B.":2cxtapm4 said:

You're from my neck of the woods. I grew up in good old Waukesha, WI. :thumbsup:

I am in Franklin, WI and play many places in Waukesha, all with one of my Friedman amps.

Back in the day my hangouts were T.A. Verns and Starz (I think that was the name) in Milwaukee.
I've played at TA Verns in the early/mid 90's. That had an upstairs and downstairs, two bands playing at the same time right?

I have a 73 marshall Alan from Carol Ann modded, had some of the other amps mentioned to compare and prefer his mod. He might be taking it to the NY amp show in a week for people to check out. I also really dig the other amps mentioned but have liked this best. One other thing to try is a stock marshall with a tubescreamer, pretty damn cool tone

guitarmike":9ndprd3o said:
gtrlw":9ndprd3o said:
J.B.":9ndprd3o said:

mojo-674778675-1210104196.jpg

The Wizard of Waukesha.

gtrlw":petul0nz said:
charveldan":petul0nz said:
guitarmike":petul0nz said:
gtrlw":petul0nz said:
J.B.":petul0nz said:

mojo-674778675-1210104196.jpg

The Wizard of Waukesha.

RIP

BTW, there is an awesome documentary called "The Wizard of Waukesha." If you are at all a fan, you should check it out. If you're not a fan, you should still check it out, because his playing is amazing.

J.B.":fjvsnihn said:
gtrlw":fjvsnihn said:
guitarmike":fjvsnihn said:
gtrlw":fjvsnihn said:
J.B.":fjvsnihn said:

I've played at TA Verns in the early/mid 90's. That had an upstairs and downstairs, two bands playing at the same time right?

Those were crazy days. I think I am still recovering from the early nineties.

gtrlw":j6x9fo3n said:
J.B.":j6x9fo3n said:
guitarmike":j6x9fo3n said:
J.B.":j6x9fo3n said:

Those were crazy days. I think I am still recovering from the early nineties.
I don't remember much...:LOL: :LOL:

You never actually said what your price range is. Fortin, Friedman, Splawn and etc. are all fairly expensive if you're on a budget. The cheapest of the bunch is the Ceriatone Chupacabra. I own one and it's pretty badass. That's really all I can say.

Back