Best setup for recording High gain Marshall with no cab.

screamindemon

So I built a high gain amp for a friend of mine and he loves the tone through a greenback 4-12 but his current situation calls for going direct to the board. Amp has no direct out, but I could add one.

This is all new to me I just mike with an Sm57.

Can you guys give some advise on best Load box/ IRs for this situation ?
Ones I am aware of are OX, Suhr RL/RI and Fryette Power load IR.

What do you like best and why ?

Thanks in advance !

I've tried them all except the Fryette power load and the RedSeven amp central. I liked the St. Rock React:IR the best. They're hard to come by, but they've announced the React:IR Mk.2 which should be out any day now.

I liked the Rivera rock crusher recording, but it took a long time to dial it in, and it never quite sounded right for me. I love the Suhr rlir though. I run a jcm 900 into it the majority of the time, it can get really close to the sound I'm used to hearing.

I’ve had a bunch of them over the years but for me, the OX wins every time for function, features and sound. The greenback emulations they use are amazing.

I’d stay far away from the two notes stuff, the impedance curve is all wrong and nothing like a real cab. Stick to the st rock reAct IR. Or possibly the suhr. I would imagine there is going to be a lot of changes to load boxes in the next few years as the importance of the impedance curve in regards to power amp/speaker interaction is become highly talked about and in the spotlight lately.

The Power Load Ir can save multiple irs to the unit and use whichever you want.

Using greenbacks for recording is a big yuck for me. Sound good in the room for some stuff.

The Suhr, because it's available, affordable and well-designed.

For what it's worth, in the real world (i.e. to the ear) the 'Greenback' impedance curve the Suhr utilises is close enough to a Vintage 30 or other Celestion loaded 4x12. In fact, the cab itself is more influential than the speaker. So using a good V30 I.R with the Suhr is going to sound very much like a V30, and nothing like a greenback. I've seen some confusion on this before so thought it worth mentioning.

Also, it's worth looking at third party I.R's if getting the Suhr RLIR - the stock ones don't seem as punchy as Ownhammer, Mirror etc. @VESmedic is worth poking if you want some more info there.

Last edited:
I plug a NMV Marshall through a power load IR.
Can’t go wrong with any of the other load boxes mentioned, the Suhr IR loader is solid as well.

Worth noting that the Suhr IR truncates any IRs you load on to it down to something like 40ms. So it'll have a very direct-on-cab sound. If your IRs have any room mics blended in, like many do, you won't hear that. The St. Rock React:IR is 190ms for comparison. But the cool thing is he can use the direct sound from the Suhr and load IRs in his DAW with something like Libra or NadIR and compare.

Back