Biasing a HG Jose

Rufus Leaking

Probably a stupid question but when biasing a HG Jose, do I need to turn off any gain boosts, bright switches, 'variac' pulls etc...?

I always thought that was the correct thing to do, but if I'm running it with all that stuff engaged, shouldn't I bias it the way I'll be using it :dunno:

I guess I could put my Bias-rite on and start throwing switches to see if it makes a difference :confused:

Just outta curiosity, what are you guys setting the bias current at? I need to bias my HG Jose soon too, and was wondering if you find the Cameron Marshalls work best biased hotter or colder?

psychodave":3oe341sp said:
Make sure you have the full power switch engaged when biasing. This way you are safe on the high side ;)

None of mine ever had a 1/2 power switch.... do you mean Mark's pull 'variac' thingie that adds gain, reduces volume and browns up the sound?

psychodave":2jinkzy9 said:
Rufus Leaking":2jinkzy9 said:
psychodave":2jinkzy9 said:
Make sure you have the full power switch engaged when biasing. This way you are safe on the high side ;)

None of mine ever had a 1/2 power switch.... do you mean Mark's pull 'variac' thingie that adds gain, reduces volume and browns up the sound?

Yes the switch. My Cameron has a voltage of 470 with the switch off, or 430 with the switch on. Different voltages = different bias. The amp seems to sound the best at our around 70% diss. I thought 65% sounded better than 75% ;) .

UH UH!!!! BETTER AT 73%.....AND YES!! I CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE!!!! (pissing match started....hehehe)
:LOL: :LOL: :D :LOL: :LOL: :D :LOL: :LOL: :D ;)

Edited to add: Directed at nobody, just havin some fun :rock:

FWIW - I checked the bias on my Jose last night and pulling the 'variac', flipping the bright switches, volume and gain up or down made absolutely no difference in the voltage or Ma readings on my Bias-Rite.

Also, the amp sounds best biased at exactly.... 69% :LOL: :LOL:

Back