BIG Marshall tones, healthy low end...Fortin? Friedman?

mightyjoeyoungxnj

Gents,

I'm currently saving for my next amp. I've been ampless and out of the game for a while but am saving for one nice piece of amp! I've recently simplified my setup to a Les Paul and Strat. I just need a kickass amp to go along with it.

I'm looking for some kickass Marshall tone - preferably something huge sounding with more gain and more low end. Think recent Mastodon tones. Something that will just sound absolutely huge with a Les Paul and Motor City Afwayus.

If it can do some medium gain Plexi tones reasonably well, then even better.

I'm leaning towards the modded Marshall side of the fence, or their production models. I'm considering:

Fortin (mod or Bones)
Friedman (modded JMP or JCM of sorts)
Cameron

These are all currently out of the price range, but I am planning for a long term goal. I've never really had an amp of this quality and would love to invest in one that I can keep for a good while.

Thoughts?

Joe

I guess I should clarify...I am impressed with all of the mod guys recently and am not necessarily looking for a stock Marshall tone, just something that has that general Marshall characteristic to it's tone. Currently reading the Bones manual.

Joe

IF you're on a budget, but can afford to pick up a used marshall, just get a solid head and throw a boost in front of it. I use my 800 with a maxon or a fulldrive in front of it, and can get a good ac/dc crunch to deathmetal levels of gain...
I really wanted to mod this thing, but after playing it for awhile with boosts; I'm too afraid to screw up the character of the amp.
Also you'll have a kick ass amp whille you're saving for mods...

Yep, don't discount a stock JMP with a SD-1 overdrive in front! That's the tone that inspired countless mods.

That being said, I'd recommend a Friedman BE.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I've actually been down that road a few times with both a JCM 800 and a JMP. I'm not completely ruling it out, but kind of want something a *tad* more modern with some modern features, etc...something a bit more chunky.

I also would like a shiny new amp, or a lightly used amp. Hehe. Call me superficial - I just really want to treat myself.

I will probably get a Jet City to hold me over in the meantime.

Joe

I’ve owned both a Cameron HG Jose & Fortin Cali, and had my friend's Friedman Marsha in my possession for a few months, so I'm pretty familiar with all three. For the type of tone you mention, honestly, you could pull them off with either. But I’d lean towards the Jose or Cali because they lend themselves a little better to more aggressive tones IMO.

Between those two, the Jose has more lows, but the Cali has more of the openness that I equate with Mastodon-style tones. Both sound huge, but their hugeness is due to different qualities; the Jose’s is more due to the big lowend and eq-curve, while the Cali’s is due to its openness and projection. Two of the biggest tones I’ve had have been a C-Pig Loaded LP into a Cameron and a Detroiter loaded Vector into a Cali, so I imagine you’d be happy with either in that respect :rock: .

Medium gain plexi tones…I’d have to give the nod to the Cali here. To me it retains more of the “Marshall character” with its eq & openness. I imagine it helps the Cali can be set back to stock (at least mine could). The Jose can do it too, but I find the delivery of the Cali in this respect more true to its heritage.

I don’t know if this helps. Is there anything more specific you want to know?

fearhk213,

That helps quite a bit actually, thanks!

The openness of Mastodon's tone is actually one of my favorite aspects. It's still gainy, still tight, but huge and open sounding. That's sort of what I am going for here.

Does anyone know if the Bones is more akin to a Cali mod than to Mike's "heavier" offerings?

cheers

Joe

The Bones is not a modded marshall amp, it is Mike's own voicing and design. That is not a bad thing nor would I rule it out, just that it is not a modded marshall with a different nameplate like other builder's amps.......................

Diode clipping does take the open roar down a few notches as well, the more aggressive the clipping the more compressed the tone will be. For heavier music a Jose diode clipping mod would not be my pick and from watching the flipper's forum other's feel the same way.

I would look in the direction of an added gain stage type mod, an extra pre-amp tube and cascaded. You have several options right now for that type of amp from VooDoo and Jerry P. I did not mention Fortin because I am not sure where he is with mods, ask Gainfreak where that stuff stands.

mightyjoeyoungxnj":12sej5jr said:
fearhk213,

The openness of Mastodon's tone is actually one of my favorite aspects. It's still gainy, still tight, but huge and open sounding. That's sort of what I am going for here.

Does anyone know if the Bones is more akin to a Cali mod than to Mike's "heavier" offerings?

cheers

Joe

I thought the Bones had a really cool midrange thing going on when I played it a few years ago. It's a nice amp but are you willing to dish out the coin for a single channel amp? Remember that most amps mentioned like the Cali and Camerons are usually single channel format, there are some out there with a 2nd channel but expect to pay more. Danhops is selling a 2 channel Cameron that I borrowed and it's a nice amp but it's not cheap.

Have you considered the YJM or maybe the 5153?

Digital Jams":a7i9lht2 said:
The Bones is not a modded marshall amp, it is Mike's own voicing and design. That is not a bad thing nor would I rule it out, just that it is not a modded marshall with a different nameplate like other builder's amps.......................

Diode clipping does take the open roar down a few notches as well, the more aggressive the clipping the more compressed the tone will be. For heavier music a Jose diode clipping mod would not be my pick and from watching the flipper's forum other's feel the same way.

I would look in the direction of an added gain stage type mod, an extra pre-amp tube and cascaded. You have several options right now for that type of amp from VooDoo and Jerry P. I did not mention Fortin because I am not sure where he is with mods, ask Gainfreak where that stuff stands.

Cheers for the info.

Does the Bones utilize diode clipping?

It really does not have to be a Marshall, but if it borrows tone from that midrange then so be it. If it can cop some "sort of Marshall-esque" tones then so be it.

Has anyone done an A/B of the Cali and Bones?

Let me clear the slate and simply ask...how would one describe the Fortin tone?

thanks

Joe

danyeo":3bm01qj1 said:
mightyjoeyoungxnj":3bm01qj1 said:
fearhk213,

cheers

Joe

I thought the Bones had a really cool midrange thing going on when I played it a few years ago. It's a nice amp but are you willing to dish out the coin for a single channel amp? Remember that most amps mentioned like the Cali and Camerons are usually single channel format, there are some out there with a 2nd channel but expect to pay more. Danhops is selling a 2 channel Cameron that I borrowed and it's a nice amp but it's not cheap.

Have you considered the YJM or maybe the 5153?

I have considered the 5150 III actually. I was pretty set on it for a while. I've heard mixed things about it though. Meh. I guess I need to try one out to be sure.

Yeah, it is quite pricey for a single channel amp. I don't really need a multichannel amp though. I don't play a ton of clean and tend to prefer manipulating the volume knob for different shades of gain.

Joe

AmpliFIRE":2mllw3a2 said:
Come by and check out my HG/LG Jose....I think you'll be hooked ;)

Excellent idea! :) It's been years man.

I'll PM you bro.

I should clarify that I plan on keeping (wishful thinking) whichever amp I end up with for a while. I took a long break from gear and just want to get back into the essence of playing with some kickass tools.

I guess what I am trying to say is I don't mind paying for quality. It's gonna take me some time to save but better than splurging on something I am not sure about.

Joe

I had a Friedman modded jmp for about a year. The worst mistake I ever made was selling it to try something else. It was perfect for me. However, I recently got a Splawn Quickrod and my troubles seem to have gone away. I wouldn't rule it out either, it's also perfect for what you're after. From what I can tell you can have an obscene amount of low end if you want. It's affordable, and most are pretty newish. Tons of versatility w/ a clean channel and the multi overdrive/gears.

you need to figure out what volume level you will spend most of your time at. If it is on the lower end I'd lean at Friedman's stuff. His master volume is incredible, you get killer tone at any volume level. If volume is no concern you will be happy with any Fortin/Cameron/Friedman amp.

guitarmike":15fddmru said:
you need to figure out what volume level you will spend most of your time at. If it is on the lower end I'd lean at Friedman's stuff. His master volume is incredible, you get killer tone at any volume level. If volume is no concern you will be happy with any Fortin/Cameron/Friedman amp.

I was pretty set on getting a Friedman modded Marshall for a while but thought I would give the other guys a shot also.

Perhaps I should rethink my decision.

Joe

Mentioned above......Marshall YJM?

Skip to 6:43 for the metals.......

Based on a '59 Plexi......sick sick Marshall roar. This is my current Marshall GAS. Sounds awesome. You can patch the channels and use both volumes at the same time to thicken up the low end......built in boost, and gate as well.

AND, Brad has em brand-new and shiny. :rock:

Back