Bogner 20th Anniversary XTC vs Pandora

pipboy90

There’s probably not too many people who have gotten to compare these versions of the XTC with the Pandora being so new, but I thought I would ask anyway. Is the Pandora head and shoulders above the 20th Anniversary? I’ve never owned an XTC so I want to make sure I get the one that’s right for me.

I have an Ecstasy 101B and I had a 20th Anniversary 6L6 head for about a week before returning it. I know that's not exactly what you're asking for but it's close, so I'll throw my opinion out in case you're interested. I'll assume you already have experience with the 101B, or at least you've done enough homework to know what it's going to give you, so I'll mostly write about the Ecstasy 20th as it compares to the 101B.

Ecstasy 20th - The Good:
I thought the Ecstasy 20th's Green channel was better than the 101B's Green, bigger and cleaner, and the 20th's Red channel was more modern, tighter, crunchier, and clearer than the 101B's Red channel. Actually I think the Ecstasy 20th's Red channel is one of the better modern high gain channels around. It sat right with my 5150's (Peavey OG and EVH 100w Stealth and 100w EL34) in terms of fullness and aggression, and the 20th especially excelled at leads. Full and liquid but still clear, etc. Just blew high gain leads away. That's what this amp is made for. For that, it's amazing.

Ecstasy 20th - The Bad:
Where the Ecstasy 20th didn't hit the mark for me, and ultimately the reason I returned it, was because of its Blue channel. It doesn't have enough gain, and instead of the Bogner's signature smooth pick attack splash and greasy smeary mids characteristics, it has a much harsher and harder pick attack kind of spike in the highs and high mids that didn't have the bounce or "give" you'd expect from an amp like the Ecstasy, and just wasn't nearly as fun to play. You know that harshness you get when you turn an amp's Presence control just a bit too high? That kind of harshness seemed built into the 20th's Blue channel preamp and I couldn't dial it out no matter what I did.

To me, every version of the Ecstasy lives and dies by its Blue channel. That's the most unique thing this amp offers that no other amp really does. When I think of the Ecstasy, when I plug into one, I think of its between-mid-and-high-gain, woody, smeary, full sounding Blue channel and go for that, but the 20th doesn't seem to have that thing. So even though the Ecstasy 20th has top tier Green and Red channels, to me, $4k is just a bit too steep to pay for an Ecstasy and not get the best version of that sound. Having said that, I also think the Ecstasy 20th's Red channel might be one of the best lead channels ever designed, so it just depends on what you want out of the amp.

TL;DR
The Ecstasy 20th might be the best amp ever made for somebody who specifically wants a very modern, crispy and crunchy high gain Red channel lead tone, but it's not the best amp for somebody who wants the Bogner Ecstasy experience.

If it was my money, I'd get the Pandora. It seems more like a classic Ecstasy but with a more tweakable Presence and Depth section and a few extra tightness options in the Blue and Red channels. Both the Ecstasy 20th and Pandora are attempts to bring the Ecstasy into more modern territory, but I think the Pandora seems to take the design in a slightly different, more favorable "modern" direction than the Ecstasy 20th.

Last edited:
I have an Ecstasy 101B and I had a 20th Anniversary 6L6 head for about a week before returning it. I know that's not exactly what you're asking for but it's close, so I'll throw my opinion out in case you're interested. I'll assume you already have experience with the 101B, or at least you've done enough homework to know what it's going to give you, so I'll mostly write about the Ecstasy 20th as it compares to the 101B.

Ecstasy 20th - The Good:
I thought the Ecstasy 20th's Green channel was better than the 101B's Green, bigger and cleaner, and the 20th's Red channel was more modern, tighter, crunchier, and clearer than the 101B's Red channel. Actually I think the Ecstasy 20th's Red channel is one of the better modern high gain channels around. It sat right with my 5150's (Peavey OG and EVH 100w Stealth and 100w EL34) in terms of fullness and aggression, and the 20th especially excelled at leads. Full and liquid but still clear, etc. Amazing.

Ecstasy 20th - The Bad:
Where the Ecstasy 20th didn't hit the mark for me, and ultimately the reason I returned it, was because of its Blue channel. It doesn't have enough gain, and instead of the Bogner's signature smooth pick attack splash and greasy smear characteristics, it had a more harsh and hard spike in the highs and high mids that didn't have the bounce and give you'd expect from an amp like the Ecstasy, and just wasn't nearly as fun to play.

IMO, every version of the Ecstasy lives and dies by its Blue channel. That's the most unique thing that amp offers that no other amp really does. When I think of the Ecstasy, when I plug into one, I think of its between-mid-and-high-gain, woody, smeary Blue channel sound and go for that. So even though the Ecstasy 20th has top tier Green and Red channels, to me, $4k is just a bit too steep to pay for an Ecstasy and not get the best version of that sound. Having said that, I also think the Ecstasy 20th's Red channel might be one of the best lead channels ever designed, so it just depends on what you want out of the amp.

TL;DR
The Ecstasy 20th might be the best amp ever made for somebody out there, but to me, it's not the best amp for somebody who wants the Bogner Ecstasy experience.

If it was my money, I'd get the Pandora. It seems more like a classic Ecstasy but with a more tweakable Presence and Depth section and a few extra tightness options in the Blue and Red channels.
Pretty well my experience with these two as well. Rating them, channel wise, the 20th el-34 I had would be: Green channel = Very good, Blue channel = below average, Red channel = excellent.

My '96 101b would be: Green channel = good, Blue channel = excellent, Red channel = very good

I was actually surprised how much I disliked the Blue on the 20th: totally like you said, it was actually stiff feeling, while also lacking juice and sounded kind of anemic. Blue on my 101b is a monster: feels great, sounds great, turns into a dragon when boosted.

Another Pandora vote; kinda like how the new Uber can get all sorts of Uberschall flavors, the Pandora can do that with the Ecstasy tones; as tight, dark, bouncy or aggressive as you like!

Thanks for the write up @TheGreatGreen, that helps a lot. I emailed Bogner earlier today to get an idea of when the Pandora might make its way to Sweetwater. I’d like to try it before shelling out $4200.
Big time. I’ve just played one too many high gain boutique amps where I left wondering what all the hullabaloo was about. Looking at you especially Revv and Diezel…..lol. No way I’m spending that without playing first, or at least a very accommodating return situation (no shipping).

Thought I would update the thread with the response I got from Jorg. The Pandora isn't something they plan on mass producing:

The Pandora is not something we do in regular production, Reinhold makes these himself as time allows, is not offered through dealers because we don't know if and when he gets to it, there are only 6-8 made in about a year, there is a waiting list with no commitment, don't know how long it will take, 8-12 month? Amp is $3999 plus shipping and tax if in CA, options like metal grill add $100 and A/AB switch $200, comes standard in the black comet tolex, black grill with silver piping, custom colors will add $100-175. I can put you on the list and contact you once you are up, you can still decide if you want to pass or go ahead at that time.

Regards,
j o r g

As an owner of one of these amps I am still thinking that it is my favorite Ecstasy and maybe favorite amp period. For me it is the shit and I mean that in a very positive way. It Kills. The Pandora is so flexible and has become my #1 and ended a long series of new arrivals. For my tastes it is perfect.

As an owner of one of these amps I am still thinking that it is my favorite Ecstasy and maybe favorite amp period. For me it is the shit and I mean that in a very positive way. It Kills. The Pandora is so flexible and has become my #1 and ended a long series of new arrivals. For my tastes it is perfect.
What kind of music do you play?

Classic Rock, hard rock, blues, fusion and once in a while thrashing d tuned metal etc. Play Songs by Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Malmsteen, Ozzy, SRV, Hendrix etc. This has three great usable channels with lots of variety in each.. Can get the sounds I go for from clean to mean. Big fan of Naylors, Bogner Helios, Monomyths, Hopkins, Soldanos and Two Rocks. Favorite Guitarists would be Shawn Lane, Alan Holdsworth, Mike Landau, Jeff Beck , EVH, Scott Henderson, early Benson, Pat Martino, Hendrix , old Ford, Chris Cain and Luke. Wish I could play half as good as any of them. So thats where I gravitate sonically. This amp is the amp I wished to have had for the last 30 years. Been through most everything.

Back