Bogner Helios 50/100

Frehley12

I have a Marshall 2555x that kills for hard rock. Would a Helios be redundant? I'm in favor of the 50w over the 100w. Not interested in the Eclipse and a better true channel switcher. I don't need over the top gain either.

The 2555x is not really a true 2 channel switcher much like the Helios. The Helios seems to have more tones going on but you have to use either plexi or hot inputs which is no big deal. I have heard all the clips on YT but will have to purchase before even playing.

Is the Helios brighter (more upper mids) than the Jubilee? Would you say it's more aggressive than the Jub? More vintage Marshall sounding? (.38 Special, Thin Lizzy, UFO, early AC/DC etc.)

The one amp that I sold and genuinely wish I still had was a 50 watt Helios. But if I had to do it over again, I’d spring for the 100 just for a bit more headroom. The 50 sounded great but there was a point a moderate stage volume where it sort of ceilinged out and turning up the master just added more power stage compression without any more db. Not a bad thing - but I am betting the 100 has a bit more firmness to it as you wind it up. I would definitely get a ‘previously enjoyed’ 100 watt Helios before considering the Eclipse.

Helios is on another level sound-wise and feature-wise against 2555X. Much more vintage sounding in 70's mode and much more pleasant in 80' (diode clipping) mode. Touch sensitivity and detailed sound without any excesive harshness. With presence up and bright on B2 can be pretty agressive.

^^^ That is good to know. Have you actually compared the two? If the Helios does the Jubilee and then some (more vintage 70s Marshall) then to me it's worth adding.

bubucci":306em0b4 said:
Helios is on another level sound-wise and feature-wise against 2555X. Much more vintage sounding in 70's mode and much more pleasant in 80' (diode clipping) mode. Touch sensitivity and detailed sound without any excesive harshness. With presence up and bright on B2 can be pretty agressive.
This ^^^^
I had both in my place at the same time for a little bit. Helios was the 50watt version.
2555x is a great amp, and has a distinctive "Jubilee" tone to it.
The Helios is more of a collection of vintage and modded Marshall tones. The low power 30watt mode on the 50watt is killer, and a much overlooked feature of the 50watt version.
If the fact that you can't really foot-switch between any of the different gain tones on the Helios doesn't bother you, than it would be a good compliment to the 2555x.

Yes, I had ‘87 2554 and have Helios 100. You can emulate jube sound on Helios but feel under fingers is much better and overall is sound is richier. Jube has only half power mode (triode) which is imho useless. Helios have JTM30 mode, 2 tubes (pentode) and decreased voltage, 70’s and 80’s mode, 3 bright setting (preamp voicing), EQ defeat mode, tube loop which can work like volume boost.
I also have mod for switching channel1 on plex input and channel2 on hot input so no more complains :)

Frehley12":or5zfrxe said:
I have a Marshall 2555x that kills for hard rock. Would a Helios be redundant? I'm in favor of the 50w over the 100w. Not interested in the Eclipse and a better true channel switcher. I don't need over the top gain either.

The 2555x is not really a true 2 channel switcher much like the Helios. The Helios seems to have more tones going on but you have to use either plexi or hot inputs which is no big deal. I have heard all the clips on YT but will have to purchase before even playing.

Is the Helios brighter (more upper mids) than the Jubilee? Would you say it's more aggressive than the Jub? More vintage Marshall sounding? (.38 Special, Thin Lizzy, UFO, early AC/DC etc.)
Jubilees are indeed a 2 channel amp IF you leave the Rhythm clip off...it's a much better clean than they get credit for. I gigged with one for yrs and it worked great as a clean/dirty 2 channel amp. Just needed a boost when in dirt mode to get the saturation I needed.
I would think the Helios is different enough to warrant adding one to your arsenal...I've heard they are the best Bogner has to offer. If you like a modded Marshall tone that is.

Helios 50 is a masterpiece.
It is all things to all Marshall men.

I saw that direct comparison of the Helios 50 vs 100 on YT. What I got out of that was the 50 was "darker" and less clearer. I also saw the Session (German) demos of the Helios 50 and 100. What I got out of that was the 50 had sag and thickness to it while the 100 was immediate in your face and brighter. Is that a correct description of the two?

The Bogner Helios 100 I had was very good and very organic and warm for a non-vintage amp, but you can still get a late ‘70’s JMP2203 plus a good boost for less money and better tone imo. The Helios and Telos were definitely a lot more impressive to me than the other Bogners and sounded like Marshall’s, not at all the typical Bogner sound. I’d say to anyone looking at the Helios to just get instead either a late ‘70’s JMP or a modded one by Monomyth or Cameron. Helios may be the next best option though if you want that type of Marshall flavor. I agree with others about the Jubilee in comparison

With today prices of JMP’s and additional cost of modding (tube loop is must) it isn’t much relevant. There is no problem to get JMP/boosted JMP sounds from Helios but You have much more tone-shapping tools at dispose when needed. I had good example of ‘79 JMP and I can live with it with no doubt. But Helios fits me better and I can use with my hard-rock band and trash/death band either withou any compromise.

It depends on one’s needs I suppose. I don’t really need an fx loop myself and I paid $1000 less for the ‘79 JMP2203 I got earlier this year than I did for the Helios I had, but I got a good deal on that JMP and overpaid a little for the Helios. The Helios (and Telos too) was very impressive for a non-vintage amp, but my JMP still has the more organic, human-like, richer tone, and that beautifully saturated midrange quality that I’ve only heard in good Marshall’s (nothing else), but I agree the Helios can get very close, but the devil is in the details imo. I had my Helios side by side with a Gower modded ‘79 JMP2203 and they were surprisingly similar, but the 2 Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time sent both packing. I guess it’s a matter of features/flexibility vs compromising that for quality of tone, often the case with vintage vs modern amps. My approach has been to have each amp I own do something that’s unmatched by anything else in what it does and if not I sell it. I still find a good boosted JMP2203 to be among my all time favorite high gain sounds

After it's all said and done with a JMP 2203 from the 70's needing a cap job, new tubes, or whatever done to it wouldn't a used Helios run $2k?

Frehley12":16dq3bxv said:
After it's all said and done with a JMP 2203 from the 70's needing a cap job, new tubes, or whatever done to it wouldn't a used Helios run $2k?
It very well could, but depends whether it needs that or not like any old amp bought used. There’s always that risk, but the reward is that more organic, vintage tone that maybe a handful of modern amp I’ve tried can get 95% close to capturing. Luckily most old amps that I’ve bought lately had recently been serviced and were great as it. IMO it’s really a matter of choosing between the flexibility/extra features and modes of the Helios vs the JMP being much more stripped down but having imo the more organic, better tone overall and would also need a boost pedal to do metal and more aggressive styles, but a small price to pay I think. I’ve sold my Helios long ago and kept my JMP (getting it put back to stock now), so my choice is clear. I know a few other guys here who did exactly the same

inyarak74":2587r7ak said:
Major gas for the Helios ! Not to hijack, but can a quickrod do a Helios ?
I’ve actually tried a Helios side by side with both a 2005 and 2018 Quickrod and Nitro and I would say absolutely not. The Helios sounded way higher quality in tone to me. Way more nuanced, rich, organic, growly, warm. The Splawn’s could get much tighter, chunkier, heavier, more modern sounding, but in terms of just sheer quality of tone and feel it was not even close to me. Helios was light years better in that regard, but not exactly apples to apples in flavor. Maybe like apples vs pears lol, where the Helios was a vastly superior apple

I forgot to add in the cost of an attenuator too. I agree with you. The adage applies: Get a Marshall if you want THE Marshall sound. Battle of pros/cons/features.

Frehley12":2tcnbz2z said:
I forgot to add in the cost of an attenuator too. I agree with you. The adage applies: Get a Marshall if you want THE Marshall sound. Battle of pros/cons/features.
That’s true about the volume. I forgot the Helios and Jube will definitely do better than the JMP at lower volumes. The Helios pretty much has the Marshall flavor I feel. Doesn’t really sound like a Bogner to me. I’d also add that I had a Helios and Metroplex at the same time and preferred the Helios, but sold both because of the Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time, which were also great at lower volumes

Back