Boomy bass

motorboy1

Well it looks like this issue was user error. I kept the presence, mids and treble at 10 oclock because amp seemed bright, so bass was at 9 oclock otherwise too much because eq was neutered with the low settings. Turned up presence and mids to 1-2 oclock and now bass can be turned up to 1-2 oclock since eq is opened up. Sounds great.

Last edited:
I’ve got the bass on Super Sports (EL34 & 6V6) around 10-11 o’clock also, I use a Friedman Buxom Boost to tighten things up but even without it I wouldn’t consider it boomy. What speakers and cab are you using ? I put my cabinets on Auralex isolation risers also

I 've got the bass on my SuperSport at around 10:30 (I can get it up to noon with my 4X12 but the Splawn 2X12 cab I gig with is bass heavy to begin with). I tend to run the gain on gear one at around 10:00 and boost it as well, it kills the "boom" and makes the amp feel more "liquidy" when playing , I like the added sag I get with a boost.. I 've considered putting my MXR 10 band back on my board to handle this , i may revisit it, because the clean channel on my amp is crazy loud compared to the OD channel and it's very bass heavy

Last edited:
Bogner 4x12. GBs top. V30 bottom. I think Splawns are more bass heavy by design.
No experience with Bogner cabinets and very little experience over the recent years with Vintage 30s I would think that would be a tight sounding cab. FWIW The Soldano SLO 30 has been known to be a little flubby in the low end but I don’t find it that way for the most part and I run the bass at about 11 o’clock on that too with a Friedman buxom boost. I’m using Greenbacks and Creamback H75s. But the key for me over the years has always been running some type of boost to tighten up the low end

My Nitro Has TONS of low-end... and I have noticed a lot of Splawn owners keeping their bass setting down, at least lowering the rest of the EQ.

The Bass on my nitro is at 7 o'clock. Maybe I'll have to invest in a EQ to take some of that boomy low-end out.

in my loop

lvPc0ral.jpg

I thought my quick rod had way too much bass. But I remember it sounding different when I first got it a couple months ago. It turns out one of my speaker crimp connectors was very loose. I crimped it on there tighter and all the bass tightened up and the amp got brighter. I seriously thought something was wrong with the head at first. It was driving me nuts trying to figure it out

I thought my quick rod had way too much bass. But I remember it sounding different when I first got it a couple months ago. It turns out one of my speaker crimp connectors was very loose. I crimped it on there tighter and all the bass tightened up and the amp got brighter. I seriously thought something was wrong with the head at first. It was driving me nuts trying to figure it out
Its a constant battle with any amp. But a fun battle :D

Not sure I would have thought to even check the speaker connection. Good call.

There is a LOT of bass in these amps. I run mine a few notches above off on mine, and I use a parametric EQ in the loop at home w/ 100hz shelved off around -4 db. On the flip side, these amps sound so nice and full at outdoor venues.

Nitro fan here....
My Resonance is at 8am
My Bass is at 9am

IMO, These amps have too much bass, there's not enough control of the whole spectrum if you're at 8am and 9am on the whole low freq range. I know metal guys like the thunder but good God this is too much thunder for those poor speakers. Hahaha

I love this amp though, very unique sound, wish it was 3 channels, midi and more manageable bass.

The bass knob seemed to add a muffle effect rather than bass. I ended up running a compressor pedal with a tone knob in the loop. I have my bass up at 11 o clock now.

Back