Boost Pedals

DET1973

Just wondering what everyone thinks would be a good boost for my Soldano Avenger. I'd like a boost that doesn't cut the low end too much. I Currently have a Maxon OD-9 & A Randall Mor Pedal.....Just looking for other options as well.

ZW44.jpg

ZW-44 [the old one].

hammered":bbjhk8i6 said:
Chester Nimitz":bbjhk8i6 said:
ZW44.jpg

ZW-44 [the old one].

Was there some changes to the newer version ?

I was wondering the same thing. I use my boost with the drive off or at most at 9:00 o'clock. The Avenger doesn't really need more gain but I do like to add a little extra grit from time to time. Does anyone know what happened to the Maxon KSE OD808 that was supposed to come out?

ZW44BerzerkerOverdrive-11.png

This is the current model.

IDK why they changed it.

Im always leary when good gear is "new & improved" for no apparent reason.

It prolly works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-MXR-Zakk ... SwpDdVJZh9

ZW-44 is a great hard hitting pedal, slams the front end from clean boost to hard azz.

Can be a bit noisey turned up tho and with an EQ. I use an ISP.

Wah, boost, EQ & gate thru the front.

Time based & Modulation thru the loop in a wet/dry setup.

The Dragon Wah has a varible boost 20db as does the tripler & EQ, i got options.

I use an MXR Custom Badass Modified OD. It has a tone control, 100hz knob, and "bump" button so that you can put the tone towards the high mids for cut, but bring the low mids back in so you don't cut the low end. I think there's one for sale here too, not mine. I've had an Avenger for almost two weeks, but I don't really boost it so I can't say how the pedal and amp work together other than on the low input.

Iv found the Aldrich rocket fuel is great for this as well as the duncan 805 since its got a 3 band eq if you like the tube screamer thing. On the cheap a good ole mxr micro amp works great as a full freq. type boost

J13209000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Also the MXR Classic OD has 2 modes with a trim pot inside that makes it a ZW-44.

But you have to take the whole pedal apart to switch.

Chester Nimitz":2e5jg0im said:
J13209000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Also the MXR Classic OD has 2 modes with a trim pot inside that makes it a ZW-44.

But you have to take the whole pedal apart to switch.

Yep, the Classic OD is a great pedal. The other mode that it is set to by default is identical to the GT-OD. Great value for the prices they go for.

I say this all the time but the blue side of the xotic BB+ was the best boost I've used in front of any amp over the years. I've tried just about every type out there.

It sort of does what a TS does but without that thin brittle metallic tone taking over the amp's character. Cuts just enough low end to tighten but not take the balls away. Very natural sounding, just tightened and pushed a bit. Three band eq lets you dial in exactly what you want. Wish I could get just that blue side of the + in a stand alone pedal.

On FLoor Audio tube boost... a better more refined SD-1 or tubescreamer. It is bigger sounding and sounds like an extention of the amp. Also reasonably priced. Available just the OD side or also with the boost like I got. Small Canadian builder, nice guy and awesome pedal. This and my KoKo boost with destroy a tube amp and make it boutique worthy. Such a nice sounding circuit. Just look the guy up on facebook and send him a note. Also does the mod to SD-1 pedals if you want to go that route.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6490 ... es/629148/

Want low end?? The best boost I've tried that not only doesn't suck low end but can ADD it is the Boss OD1X. The most transparent is the Cusack screamer. Of the ones I've tried.

Still haven't found anything better than the Way Huge Green Rhino. It's a hot rodded tube screamer variant that fixes all the issues people don't like about screamers by giving you full control over the bass and mids. So if you want to push or cut bass or mid you can. I haven't found an amp yet that I can't get it to work with unlike other screamer variants where you're stuck with either too little or too much when it comes to mids and bass.

Racerxrated":3myjti2e said:
Want low end?? The best boost I've tried that not only doesn't suck low end but can ADD it is the Boss OD1X. The most transparent is the Cusack screamer. Of the ones I've tried.
He is correct. The od1x is a fantastic modern designed pedal(digital but you would never know it) super clear bottom end that doesnt get muddy and nice clear highend. I just wish it had a mid control (mids arent as pernounced as a ts style pedal which might be a good thing for you?)

Back