Boss Katana

Ok fuckers, you got me convinced so I ordered a 100W head this morning. roflmao... This shit better be legit...

JerEvil, did it not work well with the Torpedo Studio?

JerEvil":q9b5sod0 said:
Got mine for sale. Can not get a good direct tone with it. GREAT through a cab but direct to PA/FOH, even with a cab sim it is "less than desirable"
That's because from what I read you cannot turn off their speaker emulation(stupid decision on Roland's part to have speaker emulation that couldn't be turned off).

Did you try to run it from the effects send? Does the power amp section really impart that much character on the sound in an amp such as this? If not why not put a suhr line out box between the speaker and the amp to get a clean line out to run though a dedicated speaker emulator that sounds great?

Ordering the 100 watt head in a week or two...Thanks guys ;) . Do want to know if anyone's running a good delay or reverb through the amp's effects loop. If so...your thoughts on such.

Ed

EdMan57":3mwdi81o said:
Ordering the 100 watt head in a week or two...Thanks guys ;) . Do want to know if anyone's running a good delay or reverb through the amp's effects loop. If so...your thoughts on such.

Ed

Yes the fx loop works as well as any good tube amp loop i have used. Ive plugged everytging into it. Other amps preamp sections, preamps, effexts pedals analog and digital...

The loop is excellent, even has boosting/cutting capabilites at the send AND return in the app. Switchable from serial to paralell how i use it with fx.

moltenmetalburn":2vbxuk78 said:
EdMan57":2vbxuk78 said:

Ed

Yes the fx loop works as well as any good tube amp loop i have used. Ive plugged everytging into it. Other amps preamp sections, preamps, effexts pedals analog and digital...

The loop is excellent, even has boosting/cutting capabilites at the send AND return in the app. Switchable from serial to paralell how i use it with fx.
That's very cool!

Katana...the gift that keeps on giving. Has anyone else tried the sneaky amps in the Katana? Looks like they used the same chipset or similar from the GT100 for the Katana. Through sysex, some guys found out there are actually 28 amp models in the Katana. I'm currently using an Uberschall model for channel 2 and a really good Modern Dual Rec for channel 3. Not sure what I'm using for lead now. It's just called Power Drive or something but it's good. These amp models sound WAY better than the stock ones if you like modern stuff. This thing definitely can do full on metal. Oh and there's some hidden effects as well like the Tera Echo. Best $300 I've spent on a piece of gear in a long time.

https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/tables/amp-types.md

richardt4520":1df6wgnh said:
Katana...the gift that keeps on giving. Has anyone else tried the sneaky amps in the Katana? Looks like they used the same chipset or similar from the GT100 for the Katana. Through sysex, some guys found out there are actually 28 amp models in the Katana. I'm currently using an Uberschall model for channel 2 and a really good Modern Dual Rec for channel 3. Not sure what I'm using for lead now. It's just called Power Drive or something but it's good. These amp models sound WAY better than the stock ones if you like modern stuff. This thing definitely can do full on metal. Oh and there's some hidden effects as well like the Tera Echo. Best $300 I've spent on a piece of gear in a long time.

https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/tables/amp-types.md

Super fucking cool. \m/

Ive been messing with the sneaky amps. Easy peasy to just drop the lifeset into the editor and save onboard with the real buttons.

My buddy who has it prefers the fender twin clean model and the bogner uberschall for his tones.

Both not available as is lol.

moltenmetalburn":hnz8k6lj said:
Ive been messing with the sneaky amps. Easy peasy to just drop the lifeset into the editor and save onboard with the real buttons.

My buddy who has it prefers the fender twin clean model and the bogner uberschall for his tones.

Both not available as is lol.

I have the Uberschall setup as channel 2 on mine and love it too. I think the Bright Twin is my favorite clean and sounds way better than the default JC120 clean but I kept the JC120 because with chorus on it, it seems to blend better with the Uberschall and the Dual Rec Modern channel I have set at channel 3. Awesome to have so many options

How's the "feel" with the Katana? In other words, does it do a good job of mimicking the dynamics and compression of tube amps?

Bxlxaxkxe":27gs23ix said:
How's the "feel" with the Katana? In other words, does it do a good job of mimicking the dynamics and compression of tube amps?

It excels at it. Dave Friedman has had my BE-100 for a while now doing updates to it, so i have been using my Katana (rather my DSL i might add). I'd have zero issue gigging this thing and it sounds great at practice. Feels like a tube amp in every way. Especially in 100 watt mode and cranked.

atrox":3t3rkqj6 said:
Bxlxaxkxe":3t3rkqj6 said:

It excels at it. Dave Friedman has had my BE-100 for a while now doing updates to it, so i have been using my Katana (rather my DSL i might add). I'd have zero issue gigging this thing and it sounds great at practice. Feels like a tube amp in every way. Especially in 100 watt mode and cranked.

Good to hear. This thing sounds like a breath of fresh air in a market where price typically correlates with performance.

Bxlxaxkxe":3vpasbp7 said:

That's what sold me on it. It really does feel and sound like a real tube amp to me. I put it side by side with my Cameron and it hung in there. Wasn't better for sure but I felt it hung up against it well enough that I sold the Cameron and kept the Katana. I've been gigging with it and haven't regretted it for a minute, though I am using the Sneaky amps instead of the default ones it gives. That cheap toy really should not be as good as it is.

Back